We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at the REEF on the beach

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at the REEF on the beach

Hi everyone! I"m heading for my 8th trip to Oahu later this month. I read that the Outrigger Reef on the beach has gone through an extrensive renovation. Has anyone stayed here recent? What tower is the best one? I booked the full Ocean front room. Do you know if any rooms are close to a step out walk to the beach?

Thanks!!

Brad

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,938 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at the REEF on the beach

Please scroll down through the Oahu/Honolulu/Waikiki posts. There is a ton of information about the Reef. All your questions will be answered ... and then some.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at the REEF on the beach

THanks!! I'm new to reading this so have to get used to how it works.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,938 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at the REEF on the beach

You'll get the hang of it ... and get back to us if you don't find what you need.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,191 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at the REEF on the beach

Ocean Tower is the closest to the beach.

wizardpub.com/oahu/oroutriggerreefonthebeach…

Note that Outrigger Reef is right next to Waikiki Shore on one side & Halekulani on the other side. Waikiki Shore will block most of the view from many of the Reef's rooms. So if you want a room with a view, make sure that is what you get.

Lots of Oahu info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Lancaster, Ohio
Level Contributor
455 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at the REEF on the beach

You should be in the Ocean Tower since you booked an oceanfront room. As for being able to walk right out of your room onto the beach, that won't happen here. The first floors of all of the towers at the Reef consist of the lobby, shops, and restaurants. But don't worry about that, it will be just a short walk from the elevator to the beach, especially from the Ocean Tower rooms.

Iowa City
Level Contributor
886 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at the REEF on the beach

hey, langley no need to scroll down-just type in outriggerreef hotel in the search box above-you will get all the responeses of that hotel.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
153 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at the REEF on the beach

Have not been there recently, since renovations, but it has been one of our favorites in Oahu previous years. Just a fun location and convenient. The beach is steps away, nice casual restaurants and bar.

Just a fun and relaxing place right down on Waikiki. You will enjoy. you won't be able to walk out on the beach, but it is not far!

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at the REEF on the beach

Im going there!!!

Boston
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at the REEF on the beach

Just returned from a week long stay at Reef. Stayed at Pacific Tower in a partial ocean view room. The place was nice for the price we paid (around $950 for 6 nights, through Costco travel) Its a few steps away from the beach (either tower you stay)

Plan to have breakfast at Shore Bird at Reef. It's pretty nice.

CT
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at the REEF on the beach

I just returned last night from the Reef (so sad to be home !)

THe hotel is lovely... bare in mind your reservation is a "request for a room" so dont be surprised if when you get there they do not have the room you requested. They put us in a double (two dbl) room and we had called the hotel directly to book a king room. they did switch us the following day (took three trips to the front desk) and they did not offer a bell man to assist me in the room move (it was to the adjacent room)

In the end the room was beautiful (#215 if you can get it) it was second floor (that is as close to beach walk out as you will get) there was an outdoor stair way close by to go down to the pool and beach area. this room offered the largest patio/ balcony of any of the rooms we saw. it had a table and seating for 4 and a wrap around balcony with two chaise lounge chairs. due to its location I would not leave the room with the patio doors open - if someone wanted to climb over a rail they could be on the adjacent roof space and get over. the views were great. there was some noise from the Shore Bird restaurant below us- but not terrible.

the breakfast at the shore bird is good- buffet- not grand but nice. I would NOT recommend the shore bird for dinner- was cheesy in my opinion. you grill your own meats ?? kind of a DIY bonanza /ponderosa??

but the staff and the hotel, its location were great. the beach area is good sized but it is a bit stony/rockie (surf shoes or flippers) we snorkled right there and saw quite a bit of fish... and the only turtle the entire trip was viewed in front of the Sheraton two doors down (which is under going massive renovations- woudl not go there right now)

Yardhouse restaurant across the street is a great lunch/dinner spot- get a reservation in if you dont want to wait. It looks very pub like- but hte food and service were exceptional

Enjoy!!!!