We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staycationer from Kauai needs dim sum/Indian food update

Level Contributor
97 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Staycationer from Kauai needs dim sum/Indian food update

Staying in Waikiki next week and need assistance breaking down the latest TA reviews for the restaurants listed...any new ones?

It appears that Legends and Hee Hing are favored over Seafood Village or Royal Garden for dim sum. Any other ideas for a dim sum lover. I always do enjoy Fatty's combo plates to go...just plain fun standing in line too.

I cannot figure out which Indian restaurants offer an early buffet, e.g., 11 to 3. Cafe Maharani appears to be the favored for general dining, say over Bombay, Curry House or India Cafe. I will, of course, try Indian in Ala Moana food court during a shopping spree.

Is Nick's Fishmarket closed already?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staycationer from Kauai needs dim sum/Indian food update

You sound just like me- I go to Oahu for dim sum and Indian every time!

Cafe Maharani is the best Indian I have had in Oahu. It isn't the best Indian I have had, but it is very good. It is VERY small so try to get there early or late or you may have to wait a while...

Honolulu
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staycationer from Kauai needs dim sum/Indian food update

Harbor Village in Koko Marina has really really really good dim sum. The shu mai (pork hash) is awesome. And there's a 10% kamaaina discount at lunch. Or a 15% seniors discount.

Level Contributor
97 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staycationer from Kauai needs dim sum/Indian food update

Mahalo friends of TA! Now Cafe Maharini is in solid first place or at the top of my short list. I am looking forward to Harbor Village dim sum...plus there is nothing like siu mai dipped in hot mustard and a 15% senior discount to boot! While I genuinely love Kauai I am excited to see the holiday lights in the Big City, shop and dine.

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staycationer from Kauai needs dim sum/Indian food update

my choice for Dim Sum if I am in the downtown area, "Mei Sum Dim Sum Restaurant" is my choice at the corner of N. Pauahi and Smith Street. Offers a large selection of Hong-Kong style dim sum.

Around Ala Moana Shopping Center, Panda Cuisine at 641 Keaaumoku Street, a short block mauka of AMSC. A busy second floor restaurant favorite of locals, also, with a full size menu.

If I am in the Kaimuki Waialae area, "Happy Day" is the place at 3553 Waialae Avenue. Open early with a 25% for take outs.

In the Waikiki area, "Hee Hing" a favorite local place for those living in the area. Many large family gathering. Try their duck soup with Dim Sum. Located at 449 Kapahulu Avenue, beneath the former Sam Choy's Diamond Head Grill.

Next door in the back of Happy Day is a Indian restaurant called "Himalayian" A new restaurant attracting many locals.

My Dim Sum restaurants that I patronize, but, haven't been to the new Himalayian Indian Restaurant (don't eat hot food), but, heard alot of good things.

Happy eating,

Level Contributor
97 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staycationer from Kauai needs dim sum/Indian food update

iksekane...thank you! My list grows. The Himalayan sounds like a good possibility. Think I can do a dim sum restaurant a day and a couple Indian restaurants for dinner in five full days...then buy an extra seat back to Kauai!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staycationer from Kauai needs dim sum/Indian food update

My daughter and I ate at that resyaurant called Himalayan in Kaimuki on our trip in may. We were intrigued by the review we read in one of the Honolulu newspapers and wanted to try himalayan food it did taste much like indian food but that was fine with us. It's a nice place nicely decorated and it was busy while we were there mostly local residents that's a good sign right?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,398 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staycationer from Kauai needs dim sum/Indian food update

Nick's Fishmarket closed quite a while ago.

For dim sum, everyone has their favorites.

Yelp is helpful.

http://www.yelp.com/c/honolulu/dimsum

For me it depends on my mood, I like the easy parking at Royal Garden, Fook Lam is a favorite, for quick I like Mei Sum and take out I like Chun Wah Kam Noodle Factory and Libby Manapua.

Indian food I don't do when I am in Honolulu, too many other places to go for food I can't get in CA.

Level Contributor
97 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staycationer from Kauai needs dim sum/Indian food update

Scott...thank you for the added dim sum info. I miss No.Cal. Indian restaurants so much. There are no Indian restaurants on Kauai and although there are canned, boxed and Amy's frozen mattar paneer, korma and samosa quick fixes...not the same as being there as you can well imagine.

9. Re: Staycationer from Kauai needs dim sum/Indian food update

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2010, 05:17