We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luau Recommendations

Midwest City...
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Luau Recommendations

I was at the Luau at Paradise Cove in 1999 and was not that impressed. As I recall it felt like I was at a church camp....a bunch of people eating at picnic tables after going through a "chow line" in some building off to the side.

Maybe it has changed @ Paradise Cove.

Are there any other Luau offerings that might be a bit more appealling to me. (To be quite honest, I would like to forgo the event altogether, but I will be with 3 people who have yet to have had the Luau experience). I will suffer just for them....but I would like to hear thoughts on all the possibilities. It may very well be that the Paradise Cove offering is the best on the island of Oahu).

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,863 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Luau Recommendations

Polynesian Cultural Center has the best Polynesian entertainment in Hawaii.

Level Contributor
1,523 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luau Recommendations

I haven't been yet but if you do a search on this board you get a lot of results.

We have considered doing luau for our first trip in Feb and have not been able to pick one. They each have their appeal, except that we wouldn't choose the PCC because there is no booze. The reviews are very up and down for all of them but Paradise Cove probably gets the most favorable reviews

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luau Recommendations

I attended the Paradise Cove Luau 2 weeks ago. There are 3 packages with varying prices. We booked the cheapest - which included the regular buffet and side seating. The Deluxe luau package included table service and fresh lei and seating was in front of the stage. We got there at 5pm which was when the doors opened. You were greeted with a maitai or punch (pretty diluted) upon entering. There was time to engage various activities such as making the headbands, wristbands with orchids, getting temporary drawn, throwing spears at targets. There are few stalls selling souvenirs and snacks. There is also the kalua pig presentation and show by the dancers, demonstration of fishing by the ocean and climbing up coconut trees prior to dinner. During dinner there was some audience participation on stage and fire dance etc. The food was average and show not too bad.

However, when I compare this with the other Luau I attended in July this year - Fia Fia Luau at Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club, I think the Fia Fia is a little more enjoyable. Both Luaus are actually quite different. Fia Fia one has a separate menu for kids and kids were invited to seat upfront on the ground after dinner to enjoy the show. The audience size is on a smaller scale compared to Paradise Cove. There are less activities at Fia Fia to engage in (there is no kalua pig being roasted), but I thought the jokes and presentation of the Fia Fia Luau felt "warmer". I understand that Chief Sielu used to perform in Polynesian Cultural Centre years ago before he branched out on his own. I thought the food at Fia Fia luau tasted batter. The cost for the Fia Fia luaua was $75 for adult and $35 for kids in December (includes tips). In contrast, there are small baskets (for tips) placed at activity tables etc in Paradise Cove luau.

If I had to attend a luau again, between these 2 I would pick the Fia Fia one.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luau Recommendations

my wife and I upgraded our tickets to the "Ambassador Luau package" when we got to PCC and it was worth it in my opinion. it included a guide, which was great and taught us about the different cultures and kept us on schedule to get the most out of PCC. We were even lucky enough to have very front row seats for the "HA-Breath of Life" show.

Edited: 05 January 2010, 22:03
Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luau Recommendations

I doubt Paradise cove has changed much. I went there 20 yrs ago..and then again about 15 yrs later. It was about the exact same each time. That being said.. I enjoyed it!

I have heard though that the one at the polynesian cultural center is very good and more "authentic". I hope to try that one and be able to give a good and accurate reveiw soon

Good l uck!

6. Re: Luau Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2010, 05:16