We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing beaches for average ability

Louisville
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Surfing beaches for average ability

We're in Waikiki and our boys would like to surf some other areas over the next few days. Conditions are good here but it's extremely crowded. Would anyone have a recommendation for surfing beaches? We have a car but would need a beach where we could rent surfboards. We also want to stay away from Kailua where the President is since we know it will be crazy traffic there. Thanks!

Philly
Level Contributor
290 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing beaches for average ability

The President left so Kailua should not be a problem if you want to head over there.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing beaches for average ability

Except for the fact that the reef causes Kailua to be mostly flat unless you have access to a boat that can take you and the boards out to the Mokaluas to surf. Kailua is better for kayaking and stand-up paddle surfing.

One option would be to rent boards and a roof rack from a place like girlswhosurf.com and drive out to either the beaches just east of Waikiki - go towards Diamond Head and park on the side of the road where you see all the other vehicles with roof racks, look for the break in the rock wall and there will be a paved path to get you down the hill to the beach - or look to see what beach the Hawaiian Fire guys use for instructions. That one is several miles west of Waikiki but usually decent rolling waves. Just note that neither beach has life guards on duty.

For more detailed beach info check out a site put up by the Hawaiian Lifeguard Association:

oceansafety.soest.hawaii.edu/v/1.0/?i=oahu

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing beaches for average ability

don't know where scott got his info but the President is still here!! The places in Kailua where most tourist frequent aren't any where near where the President is!! Still, you don't want to go there for surfing!!

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
735 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfing beaches for average ability

There is sometimes a decent "shore-break" near the city park at about 300 North Kalaheo Drive, on Kailua beach. It's where my son learned to surf. Max of two or three foot waves.

The shore break comes and goes, depending on the strength of the trade winds. Right now there are NO trades.

We just returned to Kailua yesterday. We flew into Marine Corps Base Hawaii, at Kaneohe, and there was NO traffic around the area where the President is staying.

Hank

Scarborough, Maine
Level Contributor
48 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surfing beaches for average ability

I'm also a surfer of average ability who is looking for a decent un crowded break also. I am arriving in 2 weeks and was planning on going to White Plains also known as Ewa beach on the west side. It is where Hawaii Fire Surf School teaches. It seems like a good break. All my knowledge is based on what I've read online though. I don't think you can rent a board there though :( Hope this helps, let me know where you end up going!

6. Re: Surfing beaches for average ability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2010, 05:19