We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beachfront dining/casual dress

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Beachfront dining/casual dress

Do we need to take anything more than casual dress to eat at HWK, Orchids, Lemer, Etc.

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beachfront dining/casual dress

You may dress casual, collar polo shirt and walking shorts for House Without a Key, but, you need to be dress with collar shirt and dress slacks for Orchids. LaMer requires a coat for the male and female will dress accordingly.

Give them a call at (808) 923-2311 and inquiry.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beachfront dining/casual dress

They may not deny you entry (particularly if you are a guest of the hotel), but, yes, you need more than casual clothes. La Mer requires long sleeves and jackets for men. See the link below and click on each dining location for the dress code.

http://www.halekulani.com/dining/

Orange, California
Level Contributor
414 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beachfront dining/casual dress

I agree most places have beach bars as well, and love your business. If you are going to a fancier restaurant, you might stand out in shorts and flip flops, and some require coats. For the most part it is Hawaii, and they are laid back and understand you are on vacation.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,242 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beachfront dining/casual dress

Casual means different things to different people.

Le Mer is one of the few places I know of on Oahu that requires a coat, most other fancy places just require slacks and a collared shirt, I generally wear a coat to Orchids anyway, but with my Reyn's Spooner (Aloha shirt).

I generally wear the coat on the plane with dress slacks, I hate flying like a slob.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beachfront dining/casual dress

How nice and tolerant of you to call everybody on the plane not dressed like you a slob.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beachfront dining/casual dress

My first reaction to the title of this thread... is everything along Waikiki is casual. People do 'clean up' for evening, take a shower after the beach, put on nice fresh aloha-wear. Places like Hau Tree Lanai, Duke's, Shorebird, Ocean House, etc.

BUT you've picked among the few restaurants that actually DO have dress code requiring (or at least expecting) something a bit more!! -suze

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,242 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beachfront dining/casual dress

Sorry but flip flops are not appropriate on planes and probably not shorts either.

BUT as I preferaced, casual means different things to different people and KailuaBred (explains a LOT!) I didn't define what a slob was, so drop the attitude.

8. Re: Beachfront dining/casual dress

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2010, 08:18