We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP with Air Fare to KONA

Whitefish Bay...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
HELP with Air Fare to KONA

I am looking for air fare Dec 19-26th to Kona traveling from Vegas. We have a reservation at the Marriott got a GREAT DEAL!!! Now we just need the airfare it is just sooo high any help would be great. Do I book now or just keep checking HELP

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP with Air Fare to KONA

You are on the Honolulu (island of Oahu) forum asking a Kona, ( Big Island) question. Your dates are just into the high season (Dec. 15 is usually the low season cut off) so air fare will naturally be higher. The trade off between air fare vs cost of accommodation can be substantial. I have found planning a vacation is best in this order (when possible) Usually nearly a year in advance (330 days to be exact) 1. book flights first because I use frequent flyer miles and you have to be flexible with your dates sometimes) 2. book accommodations shortly afterward (the best go first to regulars) 3. car rental same day I book accommodations (sometimes there is a shortage of the vehicle I want) 4. Relax and enjoy checking on everything else, including restaurant reviews, excursions, etc.

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
909 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP with Air Fare to KONA

Booking airfare (in my opinion) is the HARDEST thing to figure out. Last year we booked our tickets in April for our 14-day trip at Christmas. We flew from Peoria, IL to Honolulu (through Dallas) for $600 r/t. Flew from Honolulu to Maui then Maui to the Big Island and back to Honolulu on Hawaiian Air for $150 r/t pp total for all airfare pp was $750. We flew on a Thurs and flew back before New year's eve, which might account for the cheap airfare. I think the best advice is be flexible!!

Edited: 23 February 2010, 19:33
merlin666
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP with Air Fare to KONA

With almost a year to go there is no rush to book something now. Set yourself a fare that you think is great and then keep looking for deals until you find a fare that at or below your target. Last year, I traveled Vancouver-HNL-Kona-Vancouver for $270 return. $500 fares come up frequently, and I rarely pay more. It may help to sign up with farecompare.com and get e-mail alerts for low fares.

Whitefish Bay...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP with Air Fare to KONA

Thanks for your help re: air fare for my Dec trip. I will just keep checking I know that I have time with my trip being almost 1 year out thanks again

5. Re: HELP with Air Fare to KONA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2010, 06:20