We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

meeting marine from overseas

long Island NY
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
meeting marine from overseas

Meeting our son back from Afghanistan our arrival june 9th, any suggestions on hotels near base ,staying 10days

Any others tips would be helpful

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,469 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: meeting marine from overseas

Assuming he is stationed at Kaneohe Bay Marine Corps Air Station...

There are no hotels in the proximate area. There are lots of highly-regarded vacation homes and Bed & Breakfasts in nearby Kailua Town, and a few in Kaneohe and Kahaluu.

Otherwise, the closest nice hotels are in Waikiki, about a 25 to 30 minute drive from the base (in normal traffic), or at Turtle Bay on the North Shore about 30 to 40 minutes drive.

Or, since he is in the service, you should check-out the cabins at Bellows Beach, an air force/marine base about 10 or 12 minutes from Kaneohe. Incredible locatio on one of the most beautiful beaches in the islands.

The cabins are available to servicemen and their families. A little outlying from supporting services, but they have recreational activities and a little store on-site, and the location can't be beat.

Edited: 26 February 2010, 01:49
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,056 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: meeting marine from overseas

If he can get you into Hale Koa Hotel in Waikiki, go for it. Best deal on Oahu.

If he is (or will be) stationed at Kaneohe Marine Base, the cabins at Bellows Air Base are not far.

There are many private condos and beach houses in Kailua/Lanikai area. You can find them on VRBO.

www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/oahu

Lots of Oahu info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

For a free Oahu brochure from Hawaii Visitors Bureau:

1-800-GOHAWAII

Thank your son for me for his service to our country.

long Island NY
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: meeting marine from overseas

thank you amberloo i would guess Waikiki it will be then we may do bellows beach for 3 days then 7 days in hotel waiting for him to narrow his window home a little tighter

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: meeting marine from overseas

For military can suggest:

#1 Hale Koa

#2 Navy Lodge on Ford Island

#3 Bellows

For family, military member must make reservation and be present at check-in.

long Island NY
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: meeting marine from overseas

bump

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: meeting marine from overseas

Which unit is your son with? We have one with the 1/3 C Co, 1st platoon. I just asked someone this same question. I'm still trying to figure out when our son will be home! God Bless you and your son!!!!

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: meeting marine from overseas

abbo 1963, there is a lodge on base at Kaneohe, but, not sure on how you can make reservation. I have taken people over to the lodge located right inside the main gate at Kaneohe Marine Base, Hawaii and most of the families are guest of a military personnel.

I have met parents who come to meet and greet their son and daughters as they return to Hawaii from overseas deployment and most of them stay in Waikiki. Although, you might not be able to meet and greet them on arrival (I would check on that), the military personnel usually gets to take a break, thereby, would spend time in Waikiki with they parents. Get your son to give you some kind of information as to how you may get on base before he arrives. Military charter (normally World Airlines) can touch down at Kaneohe, so the chances are great that you might be able to meet your son upon arrival at Kaneohe. For a Hickam Air Force Base arrival, I'm not sure.

Military discounts are given to the military personnel for hotels in Waikiki, so check on it, if not PM me and let me help you.

Good luck ..............

long Island NY
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: meeting marine from overseas

Yes son is 1/3 bravo was in H&S but was transferred window home is looking like 6/7 thru 6/15 thanks for all the info we were told it is a lottery to greet the plane on arrival

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: meeting marine from overseas

yes, that is correct, but, if your son can get your name to the front gate pass office for yo to get on base with a visitor's pass, you will be mucher closer when the ceremony and other returning events is done. You now can decide whether to remain at the lodge or return to Waikiki with your son in tour. PM me if I can help with anything. Quit familiar with Kaneohe Marine Base, lodge and entry.

Aloha,

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: meeting marine from overseas

Please tell your son that an old Vietnam Vet thanks him very much for his service and welcome home! Chuck...