We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with mom for her dream vacation?

Arizona
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Topic
What to do with mom for her dream vacation?

My mom has wanted to go to Hawaii her whole life. She is now 81 and I am determined to get her there this year. This will be a family trip, with her husband, my husband and 3 kids (10, 12, 16) along also, and probably will happen in the fall. She is very active and can pretty much do anything (which is why I want to take her now while that is still the case.) We will definitely go to PCC and see the USS Arizona. This will probably be the only trip there she ever takes. What else would you experts recommend that we do so that this will be a wonderful trip for her?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,758 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with mom for her dream vacation?

Lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Driving Tours, Maps, Websites & more:

tripadvisor.com/AllReviews-g29222-Oahu_Hawai…

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with mom for her dream vacation?

Iolani palace, the Bishop museum, outrigger canoe ride, tantalus drive, pacific cemetary, ala moana for shopping, international market place, hanauma bay for easy snorkel, giovany shrimp truck, north shore, sharks cove, watch the kids take a surf lesson on Waikiki beach.... Man I could go on and on. What does she like? Buy her the book, cheap on line, Oahu revealed and let her pick.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,506 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with mom for her dream vacation?

Bishop Museum

Iolani Palace - the only royal palace in the US

Royal Hawaiian Hotel - a Waikiki landmark since 1927

Pali overlook - a magnificent view down the cliffs to Kaneohe Bay

Punchbowl - an ancient Hawaiian sacred site now a military cemetery

Drive up to the north shore, stopping at the Dole Plantation for Dole Whip, then all the way down the east side. Stop at Hanauma Bay for the view and at the blowhole a little further along.

If the north shore is calm enough, snorkel Shark's Cove. If not, just enjoy watching the huge surf for a bit.

If the north shore is too rough to snorkel, snorkel Hanauma Bay. It's not the greatest snorkeling nowadays, but it's a beautiful place with a nice beach.

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with mom for her dream vacation?

Once you figure out exactly what you want to do you'll have more questions.

I hope your Mom has a marvelous time. I am taking my disabled Aunt who also will most likely only go the one time. So, I'm totally in understanding of your position.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with mom for her dream vacation?

How wonderful that you are taking her with you! Good on you!

My mom and stepdad went a year ago with a tour group. They are 86! They did very well and had a great time. My DH and I were supposed to be there part of the time and spend time with them, but our plans fell apart and DH and I couldn't go.

As you said, your mom and her husband are still quite active. Even if they do get a bit tired, if you have a car, you can still do driving tours with them. Sometimes, it's just nice to sit back and enjoy when someone else is doing the driving. Oahu is beautiful, and it is so worth it to explore the island.

I hope you have a wonderful trip with them. How nice of you to do this!!

Arizona
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do with mom for her dream vacation?

Thank you for your responses. I am really looking forward to this trip... funny the only other time I've been there was an anniversary trip with my husband, and we were able to go then because my mom watched our kids for us! She's a great lady and the ideas you have given all sound like things she would love to do. I'll have to do my homework and start narrowing them down.

One thing we didn't do was Diamond Head, I am wondering if she'd be able to do that.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,758 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do with mom for her dream vacation?

"One thing we didn't do was Diamond Head, I am wondering if she'd be able to do that."

An 81 year old will never make it to the top.

There is a lookout at National Cemetery of the Pacific that is easy to get to.

There is a lookout at the state wayside on Round Top Drive/Tantalus Drive that is easy to get to.

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
520 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do with mom for her dream vacation?

Have an elegant tea with all the works for just the two of you at the Banyan Veranda Porch at the Ala Moana Surfrider. Been going to Hawaii every year and have seen this/done that; husband and I did this last year and it was the highlight of the trip. Very ChiChi, esp if you have a glass of champagne each.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do with mom for her dream vacation?

>>Very ChiChi,<<

LOL...do NOT use this phrase here.

Just...DON'T. ;-D

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do with mom for her dream vacation?

I go with fpiesiec. Mums are special people, so knock her pants off with "High Tea" at the Surfrider. Take it serious or giggle you head off with mum, knocking back a glass or two of the ol' bubbly.

The Monday night Luau at the Royal Hawaiian also looks very good, gauged by the reports I've seen. Seems like an interesting evening.

The Society of Seven show at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach is another good evening out. It's a fast-paced show and the guys are very talented. Lots of music, comic impersonation & dance routines. The family would all like it, but I'm sure it'd be a great hit with mum.

Have a great time with all the family.