We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oahu Resorts

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Oahu Resorts

Can anyone provide info: I need to decide between Turtle Bay on the north shore and the Marriott Ihilani on the south west coast for an early Dec. trip. We generally prefer peaceful relaxation to more "family friendly" locations when we travel as we have no kids. Many thanks.Sandyhibiscus

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oahu Resorts

Well, I can tell you a bit about the Turtle Bay Resort, but finding a more adult oriented hotel is tough on Oahu. We didn't want to be on Waikiki Beach, so we were stuck with two hotels to choose from: Kahala Mandarin Oriental and Turtle Bay Resort, we decided to go with KMO because it was the most ideal location and we were glad we did; however, we did visit the Turtle Bay Resort for half the day because we had massage services. After visiting the hotel, we were so happy with our choice, as the Turtle Bay Resort really is a family oriented, much to my surprise because the location is farther out. Needless to say, we didn't relax much by the pool after our massages because of the noise, but the location is gorgeous. However, one thing this hotel lacks that KMO and the JW Marriott Ihilani have is a gorgeous beach front. The surf can be tough in the North Shore.

Although I didn't stay the night at the resort, I spent half the day there at the spa and pool side services, and it was a little off but I know the hotel was going through some kind of labor dispute at the time. The JW Marriott Ihilani I have not visited but I've heard great things about it. The key at many of these resorts is to find a quiet location where you can relax, and it's not at the pool, unfortunately.

2. Re: Oahu Resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2005, 00:41
pa
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Oahu Resorts

Hello newmanparker

How do you know dewtrell never been in Hawaii. I saw a lot of comment from the nick? Should be ignored it and report is inappropriated post if you know for sure ?

Thank

4. Re: Oahu Resorts

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2005, 18:22
Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
386 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oahu Resorts

SandyHibiscus - we did a lot of research for Oahu for December. In reviewing the information about where to stay, we chose to rent a home on the north shore. Both hotels seem very family friendly, and for our honeymoon we wanted something more peaceful as well. The Marriott seems very nice, in a quiet lagoon without the hectic feel of Waikiki. But it is still a larger hotel. Turle Bay seemed to be the more relaxful of the two. It is not a large high rise. Both resorts have received very high ratings. It is probably too late to look for a beach-front home as an alternative. We wish you luck with your search and have a great vacation.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
397 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oahu Resorts

We stayed at the Turtle Bay back in Oct '04 and had a wonderful time. The hotel and grounds were wonderful and the employees were great. However I would warn you that in December the surf get big on the North Shore and using the beach around the Turtle Bay property will be dangerous. When we were there there were some kids (ours included) but there weren't that many. Our main reason for staying at TB was for the true Hawaii experience- the tropical North Shore and the isolation away from the busy streets and beaches of Waikiki and Honolulu. If I were going back to Oahu even during the big surf months I would still select Turtle Bay as a place to stay.

7. Re: Oahu Resorts

Removed on: 21 November 2005, 02:59
8. Re: Oahu Resorts

Removed on: 21 November 2005, 15:15
9. Re: Oahu Resorts

Removed on: 21 November 2005, 15:14
PA
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oahu Resorts

Regarding the beach at Turtle Bay . . . .

There are two distinctly different beaches on the resort. To the left of the hotel (as you look at it)is the surfing beach. Naturally, there is a decent surf here and I assume that the surfers prefer it that way.

The swimmimng beach is on the right of the hotel. There is a reef that almost completely surrounds the beach there and there is usually no surf to speak of.

I would classify the resort as "family friendly", but I never felt that there were "too many" kids.