We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

royal hawaiian luau vs dinner at a top restaurant???

Palm Springs, CA
Level Contributor
531 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
royal hawaiian luau vs dinner at a top restaurant???

Hello!

DH and I will be there the first week of August. After reading a recent trip report I was convinced that I must do the Royal Hawaiian Luau. The menu sounded incredible, top shelf drinks are included, and the show sounded great. Given all this I was willing to pay the steep price of $150 a pp.

BUT, then got to thinking...$300?! We could have dinner at La Mer, Orchids or any of the other fine dining found in Waikiki. And just catch a free Polynesian show some other time.

What do you all think?

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,628 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: royal hawaiian luau vs dinner at a top restaurant???

for myself, i can never justify paying $300 for two at a luau...i always think it is because of the alcohol ...they have to factor the alcohol cost into the dinner price and i can't see how luau food which is produced like a buffet (fairly large quantity) can be better than fine dining, but that is just my opinion.

but i guess at a luau, the cost of the show is also factored into the price.

i guess you need to ask yourself if you are interested in drinking and the show..if yes, then the luau is your best bet. if no, then i would go with fine dining.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,644 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: royal hawaiian luau vs dinner at a top restaurant???

There is no luau that is worth $150.

One of the better shows in Waikiki is Creation: A Polynesian Journey at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel. Its about $75-$80. You can also get cocktail show only for $45-$50. Same show, you get seated after everyone else has eaten. The only thing I don't like about this show is it is indoors in a ballroom.

Or spend a day at Polynesian cultural Center. Decent packages for $60 & up.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,047 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: royal hawaiian luau vs dinner at a top restaurant???

What we did, quite by accident, one year, is go for drinks at the Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian. Just a few feet away from us was the Luau on the grounds next to the ocean. We decided to stay, order from the bar menu and saw most of the show over the hedge. I believe it was a Thursday evening.

Highly recommend Orchids, we went there the next night for our Anniversary dinner.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: royal hawaiian luau vs dinner at a top restaurant???

It may have been my review that you read. I have to say it was expensive but the luau was a touristy thing that we wanted to experience and for us the Royal Hawaiian was worth it over the others.

For example, Paradise Cove charges $137 for their "deluxe" package. So based on that:

-not having to get on a bus for 30 mins to and back

-open bar instead of just 2 standard and 2 premium drinks

-better food

-100 people total

-great service and entertainment

So to us, for just $13 more than Paradise Coves best package it was worth it. Sure, you could get better meals for the price but compared to the other luaus you get what you pay for

Edited: 09 April 2010, 17:18
laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: royal hawaiian luau vs dinner at a top restaurant???

Its Hawaii, do the luau

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: royal hawaiian luau vs dinner at a top restaurant???

$150.00 PP? Is this a typo!!!! Even D. Trump would pay this...he likes to get "bang" for the buck. And, $150.00 PP is NOT "bang" for your buck. {:"}

denver
Level Contributor
192 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: royal hawaiian luau vs dinner at a top restaurant???

"To each his own"

I would pick the luau at the RH over dinner at a top restaurant.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: royal hawaiian luau vs dinner at a top restaurant???

I would go to Orchids for dinner and have pre-dinner cocktails at the House Without a Key for the entertainment.

Then I would go to Helena's or Ono Hawaiian Food (a different day) for better food than the RH luau and maybe pay $30 for two people.

In my mind there is no luau worth $150 unless it was a fund raiser.

California
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: royal hawaiian luau vs dinner at a top restaurant???

Sure, it's a lot of money, but luaus are fun in Hawaii. I haven't been to the Royal Hawaiian Luau, but I hear really good things about it.

We've done the Paradise Cove Luau twice and will do it again on our upcoming trip. We get the second most expensive package, and with the Entertainment Book discount, it's about $75 per person.

As mentioned by another poster, yes, it's a long bus ride, but the "cousins" keep you entertained. The drinks you get with the drink tickets aren't very strong at all, so we do end up buying drinks out of pocket.

But the luau is fabulous. It's not just the dinner and show, but it's also all the fun activities they do before the luau: making leis, getting Hawaiian "tattoos," spear throwing, etc. The grounds are very big, so you aren't cooped up in your designated seats the whole time.

So I vote with going for the luau - you can always get a nice fancy dinner at home.

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,628 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: royal hawaiian luau vs dinner at a top restaurant???

do you remember what type of discount is in the entertainment book for the luau??? many thanks