We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikiki Trolley. ??'s

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Waikiki Trolley. ??'s

I'm wondering if the Trolley can be used efficiently for basic getting around in Waikiki? I wouldn't want to use a car for things in Waikiki. I am not a "distance walker". I did look at the Trolley website. It appears that a person could get around quite easily.

I'm not real clear on the wait times/schedules, and if that would be a drawback OR if it could work well.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waikiki Trolley. ??'s

Wow ... aside from the shear touristy-ness of it ... a HUGE waste of time and money. We made the mistake of buying Waikiki passes our first trip. Slow ... many stops .... and we were very offended when they stopped at Hilo Hattie's and forced us all off for at least 1/2 hour.

TheBus is much more flexible and easy to catch. Buy a multi-use pass at the ABC Store.

Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
57 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waikiki Trolley. ??'s

There's more than one trolley, and who is in a rush to get anywhere in Honolulu?

They are smallish and fill up pretty quickly in Waikiki. I would advise you to board the one that loops around Waikiki and goes to Ala Moana Mall at the terminal in back of the Galleria Duty Free Shoppers. You might never be able to board if you try to get on at any of the other stops in Waikiki. Boarding at the Ala Moana terminal is no problem. We had passes and definitely got our money's worth.

Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
57 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waikiki Trolley. ??'s

There's more than one trolley, and who is in a rush to get anywhere in Honolulu?

They are smallish and fill up pretty quickly in Waikiki. I would advise you to board the one that loops around Waikiki and goes to Ala Moana Mall at the terminal in back of the Galleria Duty Free Shoppers. You might never be able to board if you try to get on at any of the other stops in Waikiki. Boarding at the Ala Moana terminal is no problem. We had passes and definitely got our money's worth.

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waikiki Trolley. ??'s

Hi

I too was going to use the trolley as we are staying at the Beachcomber & get free use of the trolley.

So where abouts is the Galleria Duty free Shop?

Also wanted to catch it to the factory outlets so was wondering how long that takes to get there & is it the same one that goes to Ala Moana?

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,164 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waikiki Trolley. ??'s

To get around Waikiki for practical purposes you want to use *The Bus* their public transportation system. It is award-winning and excellent and will take you pretty much anywhere you could wwant to go. www.thebus.org

The trolley is OK for a fun ride around town I guess if you want to, but it's not what you'd use for an every day means of transportation.

You don't need a rental car. I always do just fine with a combination of walking, The Bus, and an occasional shuttle or taxi. -suze

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waikiki Trolley. ??'s

Some packages throw in the use of the trolley. They are major sources of advertisement/promotions. Get a good schedule. The trolleys can get packed-out with groups, and sometimes they "use their elbows" if you get my drift.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waikiki Trolley. ??'s

We just returned & found the trolly very easy to use & a bargain at $1.00 per person. There were stops all over Waikiki & signs posted on where to catch it. We also used The Bus & found that easy to use also.

I think there is a different trolly that goes to Hilo Hatties specifically.

Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
57 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waikiki Trolley. ??'s

The Galleria is at 330 Royal Hawaiian Avenue on the corner of Kalakaua, about 2 blocks from the Beachcomber. Terminal is in the back.

To get to the other malls, like Wards, you have to change trolleys at Ala Moana Center.

You can find trolley and bus info on the Internet. Don'thave that url handy.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
382 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waikiki Trolley. ??'s

We caught the pink trolley because it was free for us staying at the Beachcomber. We only caught it to Ala Moana and I thought it was a fun way to get to our shopping destination. The wait going back again was a little long but we got a seat on both legs and I caught it going over there across the road from the Beachcomber. Whether it is a method of getting around Waikiki easily I'm not so sure about.

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waikiki Trolley. ??'s

Thanks guys. Would it be better to catch the bus to the factory outlets? How long would the trolley take to get there?