We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Hawaii one more reason visitors stay home

Pearl City, Hawaii
Level Contributor
175 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Flying to Hawaii one more reason visitors stay home

Story found on the Advertisers' website:

http://tinyurl.com/2bpkhyk

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Hawaii one more reason visitors stay home

Interesting ... but I just love Hawaii ... I'd swim there if I could go that far, but I have trouble in the bath!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Hawaii one more reason visitors stay home

True-but, we will still take our annual trip to the islands.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Hawaii one more reason visitors stay home

I really think the short flights are the ones that have become undesirable since 9-11, when we take oir little flight to vegas which is an hour you spend more time in security than on the plane. A lof of people just drive it.

What has hurt Hawaii has been the flight prices, we are up a lot since aloha and ata went under.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Hawaii one more reason visitors stay home

I guess the "flight is too long" concept depends on where you live.

From the Northwest , we can get to Hawaii on a non-stop flight in just over 5 hours. To go many other places in the U.S. we have to change planes. The total journey is longer, and much more of a hassle. And at the end...I would rather have the reward of warm breezes and sweet smells.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,543 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to Hawaii one more reason visitors stay home

"What has hurt Hawaii has been the flight prices, we are up a lot since aloha and ata went under."

Perhaps that was part of the reason why Aloha and ATA went under.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying to Hawaii one more reason visitors stay home

Oh yea, old prices were clearly not sustainable. Hawaiian AIrlines is doing very good since they closed, 100 million profit last year and they just got their first A330 airbus and have a lot more coming. We are getting added flights to the mainland recently, Continental started up Orange County which was always popular with Aloha but it will be 737s due to the Orange County short runway. I heard Allegeint will start some of the smaller cities

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying to Hawaii one more reason visitors stay home

Well ... I dont think I could really agree with the idea that lots of people are not going b/c of the size of the aircraft. Really -- most people, unless they travel a lot, couldn't tell you the difference between a 737 and a 767 ... and I DO travel a lot and as far as I'm concerned, if you are sitting in the back, one is not that much more comfortable than the other.

There are lots of things working against Hawaii from a travel perspective. The distance is one, no matter which aircraft you are in. I'm fairly sure that more of the US population lives east of the Mississippi than West, and it's a long haul from there, especially when compared to the Caribbean which can be reached in 2-3 hours from most of the eastern seaboard.

Also, Americans just don't travel that much. Corporate vacation policies are likely one reason -- you need a good 8-10 days to make a long trip worth it, and for many people that's more than half the vacation they have.

The cost is certainly a factor. Hawaii isn't cheap (although it can be done "on the cheap") and airfare for a family of 4, even at $600 a ticket, is $2400. Makes a 5-hour drive to the beach seem pretty cheap. BUT air travel is relatively inexpensive these days. Sure it's gotten more expensive -- but it was even moreso in the "glory days" of air travel (which I guess all goes back to "you get what you pay for.")

As far as the hassle -- well, we are very conditioned to not like any hassle these days. Flying is pretty efficient. Sure, things go wrong, but more go right. Packing up a family to go ANYWHERE is a hassle. But it's worth it in the end.

I'm with Eagle -- I'd probably swim to Hawaii if I could.

In the end, I think it's all about perspective and attitude. If air travel is such a hassle for some, then it won't just be Hawaii that suffers.

Kama'aina Wannabe...
Level Contributor
334 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying to Hawaii one more reason visitors stay home

I fly out of Boston & the trip is sooo worth it to me. We go to Hawaii twice a year, usually the Big Island & Kauai. We're going to the BI in May & Maui in January for whale season.

The main hassle of flying is the airport so it doesn't matter to me how long the flight is if it is to get to my favorite place in the world. We only go on flights that are one-stop-usually LAX or SFO, sometimes DEN or ORD. We use miles earned through credit card purchases, etc. Using miles to Hawaii makes so much sense when it's only 10,000more miles for such an expensive flight then a flight to say Florida. First class would be nice, but as soon as you check into your hotel, you relax and forget all about the flight.

We can get to the Caribbean in under 4 hours, but we choose to go to the Hawaiian Islands because they have so much more to offer.

Kama'aina Wannabe...
Level Contributor
334 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying to Hawaii one more reason visitors stay home

Just wanted to add that we used to go to 2 islands for a total of around 12 days on our trips, but post 9/11 inter-island flights have become much more of a hassle and the airport takes up way too much of valuable vacation time so now we go to one island only for 8-9 days. So in that regard, flying has changed the way we vacation in Hawaii.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
689 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying to Hawaii one more reason visitors stay home

I'm not sure I completely agree with the article. My wife and I are leaving May 23 for our first trip to Hawaii and our biggest concern regarding air travel was the cost (we are very budget-minded). The size of the plane makes no difference to me as long as I can get there in reasonable comfort (I travel a fair amount for my job so I know the size differences with planes). I do know it's a long flight, but there's not a lot I can do about that. I also don't have too much of an issue with the perceived hassle of getting through security. To me, it's all just part of the process and usually it's not that bad.