We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost to rent a car for the day

gold coast...
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cost to rent a car for the day

How much is the average cost to rent a car for the day for 4 people??

Do you need a special licence. Is the Australian Driver's Licence OK?

Santa Fe
Level Contributor
555 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost to rent a car for the day

Budget rents regular sized cars for around $45 a day or you can try Hotwire.com and you can probably get a better price through them.

Sorry I can't help with the driver's license issue. You might want to call the rental company and see what there policies are about foreign licenses.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
414 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost to rent a car for the day

We rented from Enterprise, they will take your License, but will need passport as well I believe. Book ahead online, or call the day before, We rented on day to drive to northshore. Just need to pay for parking at your hotel over night. Also do not leave valuables in the car local criminals know what rentals look like see you and will break in in seconds flat if they see valuables. They can even get in the trunk, we left purse at home and only brought ID and credit cards needed, and kept them on us. We had no problems, but always want to warn people. Usually prices are $29 a day to $83 depends on the vehicle, and how far you book ahead. Get an intermediate sized car, and they may offer an upgrade for free, to the next class is they run out of the intermediate cars. If you have longer legs in the back seat then get the full size for about $10 more a day. It is worth it for the room. Full size are usually between $40-50.

We rented the vehicle midweek from them in Waikiki area they will get you from the hotel to get your car and take you back for free when you drop of the car. they close at 6, but don't have to go all the way to the airport.

1778 ALA MOANA BLVD STE 202

HONOLULU, HI 96815-5312

Tel.: (808) 979-2600

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/home.do

Go to the site, find the branch to rent from in Hawaii, and add the aprox. date to rent the car, and they will give prices for all vehicles available.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost to rent a car for the day

If you use Priceline.com you won't pay anywhere near $45-80 per day. Take a look at …yuku.com/forums/…Hawaii-Puerto-Rico.html

You'll see that people are paying between $8 and $20 per day for rental cars in Hawaii using Priceline.com.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost to rent a car for the day

Hi, We went in March this year and I prebooked on linebefore we went. When we got to the Outrigger Waikiki we talked to the girl at the front desk about our booking. She offered the same deal and organised transfers. In the end they seem to all get the cars from the same main dealer. I had an international licence but didn't need it. They did not even ask for it.

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost to rent a car for the day

you don't need an international license if your license is in English, just take your normal Aussie license.

Also you can get a quote online & then double it because it won't include insurance & don't forget that it will be in US dollars

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost to rent a car for the day

Your Aussie licence is fine but be aware that you will need to pay for insurance. Lots of people in the States are already covered by their own car insurance when using rentals, but this doesn't apply to us. So ignore the super cheap comparisons because they probably apply to US renters that don't need insurance.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
578 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost to rent a car for the day

I don't know about the license, but you can reserve a car through enterprise online for about $40 (including tax) ahead of time but you don't pay or give your credit card number until you arrive. Definitely reserve ahead of time and if you have to cancel, nothing lost!

merlin666
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost to rent a car for the day

Also be aware of the cost of insurance which can easily be as high as the rental rate, if rentals are not included with your regular car insurance. Some platinum credit cards may include rental insurance, but not necessarily if third party such as priceline is used.

oops been mentioned before - was a long day today.

Edited: 10 June 2010, 22:35
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost to rent a car for the day

Hi Jude - I responded to this question just last week in regard to an Aussie poster who's parents were wanting to rent a mustang. It's a comprehensive response full on info so you might want to take a look at that posting if you feel inclined. Cheers, HeySunshine 72

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost to rent a car for the day

Hotwire is saying around $28.95. Including tax for 4 days they're saying $161.19 or just over $40 per day. That tax is a killer - about 40%. I've just priced Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia, and Travelocity and they're all saying around $52 - $67 per day not including that super high tax. I'm even trying Priceline bidding, where Bidding for Travel (…yuku.com/forums/…Hawaii-Puerto-Rico.html) says that people are getting cars for $16 per day even as late as the end of June. But I'm up to $25 and all my bids are being rejected for the end of July. Looks like I might end up with Hotwire after all.