We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Market Place vs Stadium Flea Market

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Fe
Level Contributor
548 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
International Market Place vs Stadium Flea Market

Looks like the International Market Place is very close to the Aston Waikiki Beach hotel and we will be staying there in Septmenber. So, now I am wondering if it is worth going to both the Flea Market at the stadium and the International Market Place. We were planning on stopping at the stadium flea market on our way back to the hotel from Pearl Harbor, but now I am just wondering if we should just skip one of the 2, any advice?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,950 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International Market Place vs Stadium Flea Market

The International Market Place is no big deal. You'll wander through it on the natural when you explore Waikiki. It's not a destination in and of itself - just has a cool name. There is a ton of shopping all along the main drag.

I think the swap meet is a bunch of junk - and it's hot. There are lots of posts about it. I would use my time better --- there is so much to see and do on Oahu.

Again, you will have many, many opportunties to shop! No worries.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,460 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International Market Place vs Stadium Flea Market

I would skip the flea market because I just don't think there is anything there really worth while. The International Marketplace isn't what it was when I was a kid when it truly was a unique place, but the rest of the world has caught up and the kinds of goods they have there you can find lots of places now, but it is still worth strolling through.

If you are there on a Saturday I'd consider the Farmer's Market at KCC.

http://www.hfbf.org/farmersMarketKCC.shtml

It is fun not just for the food, but for the local culture and the best beignets this side of Cafe du Monde.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International Market Place vs Stadium Flea Market

I'll buck the trend and say go check out the swap meet, since you're going to be at Pearl Harbor anyway. It's right next door and it's very inexpensive to park and enter. If you don't like it, leave. It's all the same stuff as the Int'l Marketplace, but there are some additional and unique shops. We always plan a morning over there, do one lap, buy some stuff (crackseed place and the hippie pants guy are not represented in Int'l Marketplace), then head back to Waikiki for a very relaxing dip in the ocean!

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International Market Place vs Stadium Flea Market

We make an annual trip to the flea market. We always find something unique and of course cheap t-shirts with a better selection then in Waikiki. We also pick up fresh fruit and local made goods. Go early cause it does get hot. I think it's interesting but all depends on what you like to do. We don't particularly care for the international market place.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,191 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: International Market Place vs Stadium Flea Market

Aloha Stadium Swap Meet is the best place on Oahu for souvenirs. Many more items & best prices.

International Market Place has nothing but trinkets. Stroll though there though as it only takes a few minutes.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,961 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International Market Place vs Stadium Flea Market

I've never been to the swap meet to compare. There's only a few things I have bought at IMP and got good deals (fabric tote bag, sarongs). For small ticky-tacky souveniers to bring home the ABC Stores are actually my favorite.

Spokane Valley...
Level Contributor
1 post
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International Market Place vs Stadium Flea Market

Every trip we take to Oahu, we always go to both the IMP and the swap meet. Some of the items are the same, but many are not. If you enjoy dried food type items, the swap meet has a lot to offer. Also, we met some gals that make very cool Hawaiian type stickers for your car windows and a booth that sold Hawaiian print fabrics for awesome prices. Also we found that people at the swap meet we're more willing to bargain. The IMP is an experience in and of itself. Plus we tend to shop there in the evenings, like after dinner. It's more enjoyable than going to the hotel and just watching TV!

Edited: 14 May 2010, 19:41
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International Market Place vs Stadium Flea Market

If you are looking for cheap souvenirs made in foreign countries, either will do. If you want some quality local crafts at reasonable prices, head for the north shore on Saturday AM and go to the market at Sunset Beach school.

www.northshorecountrymarket.org

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,585 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International Market Place vs Stadium Flea Market

like the other posts stated, the last time we visited international market, we were extremely disappointed. it no longer has the island flavour with tiki torches, hawaiian music, and ladies dressed in mumus. it has become very much a commercialized plaza with many korean vendors selling junk.

when i was a little girl, my mom used to bring me to international market every year at christmas time and it was our favorite spot. the polynesian/island feel was great but not now. i would pass it for us, but that's just our opinion.

California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: International Market Place vs Stadium Flea Market

We didn't find anything we wanted to buy during the 2 times we went to the flea market in past years. You should try it only if you have the time, but I wouldn't want to spend precious vacation time shopping and yes it's hot! Bring water.

Have to agree with the comments re. IMP changes. It used to be almost a magical place back in the day: tiki torches, free entertainment and Don Ho's beautiful voice at his nearby show. Now I see cheap goods from China etc. If you want to buy something there, you can get a better price (since most vendors carry identical merchandise) if you go to the stands way in the back or off the alley to negotiate. Learn to walk away from the ones unwilling to give you the price you want (mainly those with better locations such as in the front section)