We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best (and worst) souvenirs

Palm Springs, CA
Level Contributor
536 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
best (and worst) souvenirs

I was just wondering. What have you purchased as a souvenir in Hawaii that you really love and/or actually use? And what have you bought that you got home and thought wth??? WHY did I buy this?! : )

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,065 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best (and worst) souvenirs

Best would be my Ni`ihua shell lei(s).

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best (and worst) souvenirs

You know I don't buy souvenirs as such ... but I do buy calendars -- with beautiful photos, so I have different photos to look at each month.

They are so easy to carry, very cheap -- and good for the occasional gift for someone back home.

The odd fridge magnet jumps into my case as well.

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best (and worst) souvenirs

Last year we bought a beautiful Koa framed print by "The Twins" from Lahaina Galleries. It's of a red and a yellow hibiscus flowers in a koa vase.

I also love anything from Blue Ginger.

Surprise, AZ
Level Contributor
165 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best (and worst) souvenirs

We buy a calendar each time we go. I've also bought some pillow covers at the swap meet last time - they are on our bed and look very nice.

My best souvenirs are the pictures I take. No mass-produced items will have the same memories as looking at a picture I took and remembering the circumstances of the shot.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,227 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best (and worst) souvenirs

We're there end of January and usually buy a calendar to use at home in Chicagoland. I bring home protea bouquets. DH will pick up a new aloha shirt (Ono, Tori Richards, etc.). I like Blue Ginger clothes too, Karen!

When I was a child my aunt and uncle lived Lihue. Her mother visited there over Christmas and always brought me a sweet lei when she came home. Same aunt and uncle gave us a koa bowl when we married.

Slave Lake
Level Contributor
110 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best (and worst) souvenirs

We bought a picture from a spray paint artist of a sunset and Diamond Head. My wife and I get one on every trip we go on to remember the places we have visited.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,147 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best (and worst) souvenirs

Worst would be those Hawaiian floral spray fragrances they sell at ABC and the like. They fragrance vanishes (on me anyway) after a few minutes.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,933 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best (and worst) souvenirs

I always bring home new Hawaii-motif coffee cups, the ones you'll see at the ABC Stores. I use them every day. And give them as gifts.

When I've gone in the fall I've bought all my Christmas stuff like Hawaii-themed holiday cards, gift wrap, thank you notes, etc.

Dishtowels and linens either florals or vintage prints are great.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best (and worst) souvenirs

The best for me are the replica warrior helmets with the feathers. Also, some of the unique Hawaiian Strength t-shirts that can ONLY be found at the swap meet!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,146 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best (and worst) souvenirs

Worst would be anything that is made in China, Japan, Philippines, etc. - in other words, buy Hawaiian! ABC Stores, as much as I appreciate and love them, pass off ALOT of stuff made overseas - as being Hawaiian. Even soaps and bath products. Look before you buy.

Favorite? Locally made art and jewelry!