We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Aston is the Best?

dallas, tx
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which Aston is the Best?

Family of five with two kids (toddler and infant) traveling in July so decided a condo is the way to go. Have narrowed it down to three Aston properties: Pacific Monarch, Banyan and Sunset. We'd like an updated renovated room and it seems the Sunset has just completed updating all of their rooms. However, we'd also like to be closer to the "action" in Waikiki (beach, restaurants, shopping, etc.) to cut down on the walking time involved with a 2 1/2 and 8 mos old in tow. In this regard, the Pacific Monarch seems a better fit, but according to reviews it also appears to be the property with the oldest and most worn rooms.

For our situation, can you recommend one over another? Is the distance between the Sunset and the rest of Waikiki as pronounced as when I walk it on Google streetview?

Edited: 17 June 2010, 16:30
Sask
Level Contributor
700 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Aston is the Best?

We've only stayed at the Sunset. We did our research before our trip in December and found that the Sunset had bigger rooms than the Banyan. All three are fairly close to each other, and certainly within walking distance of most amenities. I like the fact that the hotels are located on the quieter side of Waikiki, especially when traveling with children. The beach is less than a 5 minute walk.

Surprise, AZ
Level Contributor
165 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Aston is the Best?

We're staying in the Banyan right now. It's decent size for the 5 of us (three kids ages 11, 11 and 5 and two adults) and while it's not ultra-modern, it's not bad either. The bed is a little hard, but we haven't had any sleepless nights since we arrived last week.

the location is good, the safest part of the beach for the little ones is only a block or two away - less than a 5 minute walk, depending upon whether or not you miss the lights. Everything in Waikiki is within walking distance. I don't know if all of the Astons are the same, but free paper and hi-speed internet (not wi-fi) are included. Parking here is $60/week.

California
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Aston is the Best?

Hello,

We have stayed at both hotels (Banyan, and Sunset). Both are nearly across from each other. Our recent stay was at the Sunset and was more modern than the Banyan which we visited 2 years ago. Sounds like things have changed. Our room at the sunset was recently renovated as far as the kitchen and bath. We had a 1 bedroom with 2 queen beds on the 30th floor. This was more than enough for 3 adults, 1 8 month old and 3 yr old. Living room had a pull out sofa bed which was comfy for 2 (3 yr old son and I). Not sure what you are looking for as far as updates but if just looking for a place to crash for a bit. I recommend Sunset. It is the farthest of the 3 but minutes from the “Action”. All 3 are toward the end of the strip near the park. Ask for a floor in the 30’s if possible. You get a better view of ocean from up there. If you get 3004 your maid might be Nora. Really nice lady. Will tell you right now they do come late to clean room sometimes only because they have lots of rooms to clean. Tell her that Ashton say’s hi.

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Aston is the Best?

Have you research the Aston WAikiki BeachTower Hotel, located across Kuhio Beach, next to the Pacific Beach Hotel on the Diamond Head side and Waikiki Circle on the Waikiki side. corner of Lilioakalani and Kalakaua Avenue.

The BeachTower offers large two bedroom condo units, a great view of the ocean and of course closer to everything else of interest.

Tel: (808) 926-6400 or www.waikikibeachtower.com. Go check them out.

Good luck. I have stayed at both and with a family, the BeachTower worked better for us.

dallas, tx
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Aston is the Best?

Appreciate all the feedback. The Aston Waikiki Beach Tower looks extremely nice but is more than I want to spend. Has anyone stayed at the Pacific Monarch recently? The manager response on the reviews makes it seem like they are going through a complete interior renovation that will finish in June. Wonder if that is truly the case.

Bergen County NJ
Level Contributor
129 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Aston is the Best?

I'm staying at Waikiki Beach Towers in a few weeks, I'll be sure to post a TR and/or a review.

Just so you know, though, when I was researching rates, I called the property and they were able to do slightly better than what I found online. Go ahead and give 'em a call, you may get lucky!

CA
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Aston is the Best?

We stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beach Tower in Aug 2009. There were 6 of us in the condo unit (2 adults , 4 kids ages 13, 11, 9, 4) Absolutely loved it. We stayed on the 11th floor & had the 2bd/2bath rooms. I heard that the upper floors are more plush. They have free parking. I wrote a more in depth review on the hotel at epinions.

If you have the Entertainment Card, you get 50% off the standard rate. When we went, the rooms were $750/night. With the entertainment card, we booked the rooms for $375/night. You need to call them directly to get the entertainment rate.

Hope this helps! :D

New Zealand
Level Contributor
326 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Aston is the Best?

Hi,

We stayed at the Pacific Monarch just last month (May) and since then, I have posted a review on their Trip Advisor page. We weren't in a renovated room but I understand that some, if not all the floors higher up have been renovated.

I hope this helps!

dallas, tx
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Aston is the Best?

Greymatter, did you speak with management about the renovations? Did they tell you if all rooms would be updated or when the project would be finished. Thanks!

Edited: 18 June 2010, 16:03
New Zealand
Level Contributor
326 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Aston is the Best?

No, it was the workers clearing the rooms that we spoke to about the renovations, however, when we were checking out, one at the 'Check-in' desk passed a comment that if we are to return in a year's time, 'it' would be renovated...now whether they meant the whole building or the floor we were on, we're not sure. Unfortunately, we didn't carry on the conversation to find out.

The room/apartment we had on the 17th floor was certainly livable, but it could have done with new carpets/curtains etc. We cooked our evening meals there and spent a bit of time out on the balcony in the sun as we had a corner apartment.

Pacific Monarch is so close to everything and we enjoyed our time there.