We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honolulu Places to visit on Car

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Fl.
Level Contributor
16 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Honolulu Places to visit on Car

We rent a car for a week (2 Adults and Kids)and We need to know where the best place to visit on car on the Island and distance from wakiki beach

Thank you

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,364 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honolulu Places to visit on Car

Lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Driving Tours, Maps, North Shore, Websites & more:

tripadvisor.com/AllReviews-g29222-Oahu_Hawai…

For a free Oahu brochure:

1-800-GOHAWAII

New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honolulu Places to visit on Car

Hi Dusty, I'm looking for similar info however it seems that all the info focus on the mid to east side of the island. What about the far west along Farrington Hwy??

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honolulu Places to visit on Car

Hate to sound simplistic ... but do you have a good map? Like from AAA or Amazon.com or a major bookstore? Do you have a good travel guide? Bottom line is - the island is not all that big. You can drive around the island in a car in less than a day, easy.

Are you looking for beaches? Hiking? Cultural or historic activities? Shopping? Snorkeling? Have you read through the Oahu posts for ideas on things to do?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honolulu Places to visit on Car

I understand the island is not that big and I have done some research however it seems all the 'must do's' are based ont he east coast of Oahu. No haven't bought a book , why do that when all is online. Duh. look if you don't want to help then don't answer people's posts.

What I'm looking for is any must do's specifically on the west coast of Oahu. Everything I read seems is North or on the east side.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,364 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honolulu Places to visit on Car

The Leeward (west) coast is not high on my adgenda for visitors.

It is a long way to the end of the raod. Many of the beaches are homeless camps. There is trash piled up along the side of the road at the homeless camps.

There is more of a chance that your car will get broken into at those beach parking lots.

That said, it is fairly scenic. Though I thnk the beaches on the Windward (east) side & the North Shore are more scenic.

If you want to buy a good book with maps & other info:

'Oahu Revealed' is a good book.

You can by a used copy for about $1-$3 on www.half.com (an eBay company). Shipping for one book is $3.50.

…ebay.com/oahu-revealed_W0QQmZbooks

I have a 2004 edition. About the same as the newer editions except for hotel & restaurant & a few attractions info. Hotels & restaurants may close or change names or new ones opened. Attractions may open or close.

But 95% of the info in the book is the same.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honolulu Places to visit on Car

Ok thanks Dusty, i'll look into it but looks like i'll skip the west side then and will focus on east and center. thanks for the tip.

Hayward, California
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honolulu Places to visit on Car

You can get books on Oahu at your local library that will not cost you any money. I must have gotten at least 10 books at the library that were very useful for me in planning my trip to Oahu. Good luck.

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honolulu Places to visit on Car

@ asigabi and latinabeauty .... I like to tell visitors that upon arrival in Honolulu at the baggage claim area, look for the visitors pamphlet flyer stand and pick up "Oahu's 101 Things to Do" and any other flyers that looks interesting. But, before arriving, go online to www.101thingstodo.com and get a preview on what there is to do. From money saving coupons, guide to Waikiki, North Shore, Downtwon Honolulu, Pearl Harbor, East, west & south shore, get everything; that fits your interest. When you arrive, pick up the book with lots of maps and see what else you missed online.

If you want to spend a little money go to the bookstore, for $11.95 ABC Hawaii, An Illustrated Reference Guide and Oahu Revealed are a couple good reference books to look at. Hope this helpsl

@BLBL, try "Live Aloha" and when posters have or ask a questions, please don't come back with "Hate to sound simplistic ...." and you ask a question on top of the posters questions. If I was asking the questions, did some research, but, I was still confused and not sure, I would have asked the same questions, but, would not want to hear or read your comments as posted. Better not to say anything, if you can't say anything good.

I don't think this forum was set up to do that. I don't have 10,000 + forum post like you do with posting like this, but, I try to help where ever and what ever I can do to answer what is asked 'with a good helpful answer in mind. Let's "Live Aloha" and help answer the question! Enough said. Amen ......

"Until Another Beautiful Day", let usa all "Live Aloha"

9. Re: Honolulu Places to visit on Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 06:15