We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hawaian airline

Alexandra Headland...
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Topic
hawaian airline

Hi there...can anyone adivse on hawaian airlines from australia to honolulu?

Would like to fly premium economy...but looking for a good deal.

Cheers Jules :)

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
400 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hawaian airline

Not sure what kind of advice you are after. I haven't flown Premium Economy with Hawaiian - just Economy (sigh). What we specially love about Hawaiian is the seat arrangement of 2-3-2 so we don't have someone climbing over us, more room to ourselves. Last trip we found the service and food a bit iffy between Sydney and Honolulu but up to its usual great standard on the flight back. Usually we book direct with Hawaiian but last time we got an advertised deal that you accessed through Flight Centre etc.

Alexandra Headland...
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: hawaian airline

thanks for your reply...now you have told me the seating arrangement...2-3-2...it makes a bit keener...prem. economy is sooo expensive...is there much leg room between seats...my husband is 6ft. I will need to compare their fare with Qantas/Jetstar!!!

Cheers Jules :)

Australia.
Level Contributor
227 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hawaian airline

Hi,

We flew Hawaiian last Oct/Nov,Sydney/Honolulu. Service OK, seats OK, they feed you, give you complimentary soft drinks, overhead screens. Bit like an upmarket Virgin Blue etc. I'd fly with them again though, our flights last year were $700 return !!!

We have just booked for early November with Qantas through Escape Travel,(can also be booked with Best Flights) fares $1250 including return flight to big island from Honolulu. The seating on Qantas same as Hawaiian 2-3-2, will also have overhead screens. Will be interesting to see what complimentary drinks we get & to compare with Hawaiian. wer''e going Qantas so we get the QFF points, fares about the same as Hawaiian at the moment.

Stroudie.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,167 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hawaian airline

Here is a seat map from Seat Guru for the 767 that Hawaiian flies to HNL. There are 2 versions . You can check out the other on the left hand sidebar at the site. Not sure which are designated Premium economy.

seatguru.com/airlines/Hawaiian_Airlines/Hawa…

If you are unfamiliar with the site, they give you seat dimensions...seat pitch/width etc...and configuration. The individual seats are colored according to their desirability Red/ Green/ Amber....

There are also other Airlines to choose/view in the left hand menu.

Alexandra Headland...
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: hawaian airline

Hi Stroudie, great feedback from you & Julnol.

I am going to check out the sites you have suggested...Qantas Escape Travel & also Best Flights...we plan on going end of July 10 for 2 weeks.

We only decided today on this trip...we also want to visit one of the Islands for a week.

Hope we can book a self catering apartment in Honolulu & also on the Island we decide on.

Will let you know what happens.

Cheers Jules :) -

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: hawaian airline

There's no such thing as "Premium Economy" on Hawaiian - only regular economy or business. Premium Economy is available on Jetstar.

We've flown Hawaiian economy and it was fine - food, seats, plane, service all acceptable for economy. We've also flown premium economy on Jetstar and wouldn't repeat the experience - awful service and generally not a good feel. This time (9 days to go!) we're flying business on Hawaiian :) You won't get any deals on business class fares, only economy. If you're not 6'6" and a snob (like my husband!), economy would be fine.

nwf
NSW Australia
Level Contributor
910 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hawaian airline

Hi there,

I have done 5 trips Syd- Hawai'i with Hawai'ian air

would be happy to be on the 9.20pm flight to Hawai'i

tonight if possible,Not to be though///..NWF

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hawaian airline

Jules,

Keep in mind that pretty much all travel agents can get the same airfares so if you have an agent that you have been to previously you can go back there and enquire about the fare :)

Stelle

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,544 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hawaian airline

Hi,

I've also flown HA from SYD to HNL (as well as MNL-HNL) and like others, have found them to quite sufficient and respectable.. I'd have no reservations or issues with recommending them to others or flying them again myself.

In the end, for the most part when you talk about Economy class travel (that's traditional economy and NOT premium economy and the like) on most airlines today-- specially US carriers-- the experience like cabin, seats, IFE/AVOD, legroom, meals and the like will be far more similar than dissimilar.

Sure, some airlines may be "better" in some aspects of the flight than others and international carriers tend to be 'rated' higher by passengers than most US airlines for long haul international travel, but I don't really think that the overall degree of differentiation is all that massive.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 30 June 2010, 07:18
Australia.
Level Contributor
227 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hawaian airline

Forgot to tell you, Hawaiian let you check in 2 x 32kg bags, Qantas 2 x 20 kg bags. A lot of shopping either way.

Stroudie.