We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going on Snorkel Tour, underwater camera questions??

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Virginia
2 posts
Save Topic
Going on Snorkel Tour, underwater camera questions??

I have a tour planned with Ko Olina tours on Oahu. I was thinking of buying a couple of waaterproof cameras stateside beforw the trip to take and use. Will I be happy with my pictures or should I wait to get there and see what they have to offer? I have heard that they take great pictures but I bet they will be expensive. I'm on a budget. Will the waterproof disposable cameras do good enough?

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going on Snorkel Tour, underwater camera questions??

Hi,

I have used the disposable underwater cameras several times while snorkelling in Thailand & the pictures have turned out great.

I bought them before we left home in Aus & they cost around $16 AUD plus processing. I assume they would be a similar price in the US or Hawaii.

This time when we go in to Hawaii in August I am taking my new camera which has a separate water proof case so will be interesting to see the difference in the photos. I am just a bit wary about it leaking, hopefully everything will be ok.

Jacqui

merlin666
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going on Snorkel Tour, underwater camera questions??

We bought one of the disposable cameras at Hanauma Bay, and they are frustrating if you have been using a digital camera for a while. The number of pictures is very limited so you have to think about each shot, and they are used up quickly. And of course, don't forget the cost of processing pictures later. There are now several small digital cameras available that are beach and snorkel proof down to depths of about 7m, as well as gadgets such as snorkel masks with integrated camera. This may cost about $200 more, but may enhance the fun greatly - particularly if you are already investing in a snorkel tour.

BTW - the Ko'olina tour is great, enjoy.

Edited: 21 July 2010, 15:11
Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going on Snorkel Tour, underwater camera questions??

We have one of the Fuji underwater cameras and love, love, love it. They are running around $100 and are great for the beach. Newegg has them for $114 +$3 shipping -

FUJIFILM FinePix Z33WP Green 10.0 MP 2.7" 230K LCD 3X Optical Zoom 3m Waterproof Digital Camera

PM me if you'd like to see pictures with this camera, we never use any of our others since we got this one!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going on Snorkel Tour, underwater camera questions??

The also make underwater housings. I have a Cannon and have a underwater housing for it. Of course, now they are making waterproof cameras pretty cheap so that may be worth it.

Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going on Snorkel Tour, underwater camera questions??

We also purchased this camera: FUJIFILM FinePix Z33WP Green 10.0 MP 2.7" 230K LCD 3X Optical Zoom 3m Waterproof Digital Camera

and took it on our trip to Hawaii that we just got back from on Monday. We took over 400 underwater photos and they all came out very nicely. They're great to take to the beach if you don't want to get any sand/water on your regular camera.

maryland
Level Contributor
174 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going on Snorkel Tour, underwater camera questions??

I've bookmarked this as a possibility for my trip next year...

…kodak.com/store/…productID.169976100

7. Re: Going on Snorkel Tour, underwater camera questions??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 06:29