We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Trip Report July 22-29.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Our Trip Report July 22-29.

22 JULY

Flew Jetstar Starclass. No issues it was fine for a 10 hr flight.

Pre booked Row 1 so no one in front of us which was a plus.

$35 + tip from airport to Outrigger on the Reef.....arrived around 9am & checked in.

Had booked for the preceding nite as I wanted our room available as soon as we arrived & found that to be well worthwhile. Excellent Oceanfront room on the 9th floor.

Showered & unpacked & into shorts & T shirts.....love it.

By 10am we were walking along the beach right up to HHV. Came back thru the gardens of HHV, which are beautifully kept. Saw all sorts of fish, flamingos, macaws, tortoises, penguins. Good photo opportunity here.

Back to the hotel for light lunch at the pool. Sandwich & a Mojito for me & a beer for John.

Can't say my husband is too taken with the US or local beer. He finds them too flat & they don't end up "with a head on them"

He ended up drinking either MGD or Pabst Blue Ribbon whereas here in Aust. it's Tooheys.

Anyway I am now a Mojito convert.........have tried most other local cocktails on our previous visits & except for Sundowners & Scorpions at the Sheraton, the Mojito was my favourite.

The mint seems more like spearmint.

Anyway we had hit the wall ( not from the drink either).

I felt like I had a bad case of Post nite duty.

Back to our room to relax for a bit & then I went for a walk to Food Pantry for fruit etc & just a general look around to see what had changed since out last visit in 2007.

Some TV & to sleep with the waves crashing below us.

23 JULY

Breakfast at the Oceanhouse Restaurant.

Our breakfast was included so we could have eaten at any of the 3 restaurants, but the Oceanhouse was our favourite. Table service, breakfast cooked for you, we couldn't have asked for better & excellent service.

Bacon & eggs for John ( he never has anything else if it is Ala Carte) & I had Eggs Benedict. It was delicious & the egg yolks so yellow.

Very relaxing, enjoyed the view, parrots/macaws nearby were entertaining if you wanted your picture taken with them.

Read the local paper & my husband has become of fan of the comics ( Sherman's Lagoon.)

By Bus to Ala Moana, where we go our separate ways & meet up at designated times.

He is always taken with Sears hardware Dept & that's where he spends all of his time. Can't complain really as he doesn't buy anything.

We meet up & buy 2 Hawaiian shirts for him. He initially wanted Tommy Bahama as he already has 3 or is it 4 anyway Sears don't sell TB so we settle on 2 local Made in Hawaii shirts.......Turns out the 2 shirts were probably half the price of 1 TB.

Bus back to the hotel & off for a swim & some sun & then up on the grass & some shade just behind the Army museum.

Then some drinks at the bar.

Early dinner at the Shorebird as John is a real steak man, though he didn't figure he would be cooking his own. I am not into red meat ,so he has my sirloin as well. Funny thing how he can cook a MUCH better steak in Hawaii than he can on our BBQ at home......even I ended up tasting some.

The Salad Bar was OK.....not that impressed, but OK for about $15 each. 2 bottles of wine as well & then the walk along the beach to the Sheraton Waikiki for Baskin Robbins ice cream ( I have Cherries Jublee & John Vanilla.....he is just so venturesome!!!

Full moon right outside our room.How wonderful it is.

24 JULY

Another lovely day & breakfast at the Oceanhouse again.

Number 2 Bus to Bishop Museum & State fair I think they call it.

We especially enjoyed the history & displays of the Hawaiian Kings & Queens.

John loved the agricultural dislays & the facts young girls were showing cattle, sheep & pigs they had reared.

Fresh fruit & produce for sale as well.

We were lucky the fair was on this particular week end as it just gave us a different aspect to Hawaii.

Enjoyed the Bus at it took us thru Chinatown we saw the Iolani Palace, Mission houses & such.

Quick swim & some sun & then to the Yardhouse on the Beachwalk. Got there early so no queues.

Check out some of the Beachwalk shops as it wasn't there in 2007. Love the casual atmosphere.

25 JULY

I suggest we try the Shorbird for breakfast.........buffet VERY limited & disappointing........we wouldn't eat here again. For virtually the same price you can have table service &a much better meal at the Oceanhouse.

I go off by Bus to Ala Moana Centre & to Walmart & Ross Dress for Less ( one block behind Ala Moana). Get some good bargains there.

Back to the hotel & we both go for a swim & some sun.

Drinks at the Shorebird/Plantation bar. Talk with some locals & John watches the Cardinals baseball game.

Room Service Hot Dogs which were delicious.

26 JULY

Breakfast at our favourite the Oceanhouse. Same same for John, but I try the Omellette & it's another winner....very tasty..

More shopping for me while John does more work back in the room. Later I find him downstairs reading thru some books the hotel has out on OLD Hawaii.......love the old black & white pictures.

The usual afternoon swim & a bit of reading & the sun.

Shorebird for dinner where John cooks another great steak ( his own words). Today is an AFD ( Alcohol Free Day ) so it's just water.

27 JULY

Oceanhouse breakfast.usual bacon & eggs. I try the Belgian Waffle.......OK.

I browse thru the IMP.....looking for some "slippers" my Mother used to like.........never did find them.

Bus to Ala Moana for me & John goes to Waikiki Yacht Club to meet a business aquaintance..

Early dinner at the Cheesecake Factory ( no waiting ) Pork Chops, mashed potato & spinach for the boy & I have chicken & shrimp with rice in a curry type sauce plus a bottle of wine.

All very enjoyable...we forgo on the cheescake as we are soooooo full.

Walk up the street to the Police Station & the statue of Duke....now he was one handsome fellow......had that Clark Gable/Cary Grant look to him I thought.

Go into Borders in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Centre on the way back to buy another novel for John.

28 JULY

Usual Oceanhouse breakfast.this time I have Crabcake/Eggs Benedict & they are yummy as well.

Catch the Number 19 Bus & we are off to La Mariana Sailing Club.

Excellent directions Dusty. Thanks.

Yes it is a bit of a walk from the highway, but John found West Marine & picked up a catalogue there.

Found the place very easily with Dusty's directions.

Very interesting history to this quaint little place. They gave us a 4 page piece written by the owner which was most informative.

Am so glad we made the effort. Just had a sandwich & 2 Mojitos/beers $33 + tip.

These were some of my best pictures ( or so I thought). I like all that old worldly stuff..........so much character & love must have gone into this place.

Number 20 Bus back to the hotel.

Then it's into the packing.

Take some last shots of the sunset from our lanai.

29 JULY.

Up at 5am. Taxi to airport at 6am....$35 + tip.

Light breakfast in the Qantas lounge. Jetstar a little late getting in but up in the air by 10am.

Starclass again, which was a bit of a trial due to some misbehaving little children, running wild thru the aisles & galley/bathroom area.. Annoying to everyone in Starclass as well as the flight staff.

Anyway landed safely & now am left with wonderful memories of a very realaxing & enjoyable holiday.

SPECIAL POINTS.

The hospitality service staff in the hotel are to be commended.

Their work ethics are so different to what we have in Australia.

They really do provide an excellent service & their public relations are excellent.

While it is perhaps not always the "norm" to tip in Australia, we both felt that in Hawaii they work hard & deserve this recogntion.

Perhaps Dusty or Amberloo can tell me what has happened to all the royal descendants???????Do they still live in Hawaii?

People comment the beach is small & rocky.

So be it in some places but we walked up a little way & never found this to be an issue. There is no real reason to camp right outside the hotel ( unless you want an umbrella & chairs.

After eating the sweet juicy pineapple of Hawaii, what we have here just doesn't cut it.

We loved the full moon right outside our window, the magnificent view & the sound of the ocean thru our open door.

Somewhat of an anticlax to come home to winter clothes, closed curtains & the sound of traffic outside, instead of the ocean

What I have always enjoyed about Hawaii is that you can do as much or as little as you choose.

The only downside was that time went sooooo fast.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my questions.

I will try to post some of my pictures....just have to work out how to do so.

Mentioned in this post
Food Pantry
Food Pantry
381 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Sheraton Waikiki
Sheraton Waikiki
6,404 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Chinatown
Chinatown
578 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Iolani Palace
Iolani Palace
4,679 Reviews
Oahu, HI
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,018 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,120 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Trip Report July 22-29.

Nice trip report.

Tooheys? You aren't Foster's fans? That's all I had when I was in Australia in 1977.

I like La Mariana, though I've only been there a few times.

Hawaii State Farm Fair (Bishop Museum). On July 24, they moved Kapiolani Community College Farmers Market to the Farm Fair, so it should have been quite popular.

There are some Hawaii Royalty descendants living in Hawaii. But to be honest, I don't know any of them or really know where they are except for an occasional article in a local newspaper that mentions them.

Amberloo is the real Oahu expert. Hopefully he'll check in.

Mentioned in this post
Bishop Museum
Bishop Museum
2,388 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Trip Report July 22-29.

I don't think Australians even drink Fosters.

Someone else can correct me if I am wrong.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Trip Report July 22-29.

While we were in Hawaii in March 2010, my husband became a fan of drinking Bud, which was very cheap at at ABC stores, $6 for 6 pack. He usually drinks Tooheys New.

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Trip Report July 22-29.

Hi,

Great Trip report, thanks for taking the time to write it.

Sounds like you had a great time & got lots of shopping done.

We head over there in just over 3 weeks so had a couple of questions to ask you.

What time did you have your early dinner at the Cheesecake Factory to beat the crowds?

Did you have any trouble finding the Ross store?

You said the beach isn't that small, so how were the crowds on the beach?

BTW I used to drink Fosters but that was back 20 odd years, I think , when it was very popular, not so popular now.

Thanks

Jacqui

Mentioned in this post
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,018 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Trip Report July 22-29.

We got to the Cheesecake Factory around 5pm.

Ross & Walmart are one block behind Ala Moana Centre ( inland versus towards the ocean)

To try to explain it the Bus going to Ala Moana from Waikiki stops on Ala Moana Blvd, (oceanside).

The Bus from Ala Moana to Waikiki goes from out the back of the Center...........so if you were heading out the back to catch the bus to your hotel, keep walking, there is a ground floor entrance to Nordstrom... keep walking past it about 1-2 blocks & Walmart is on the left & Ross amost across the street on the right.

Waikiki is about 2 miles long, so anywhere towards Diamond Head like Queens Beach is good or the opposite around the HHV.

The busy crowded part is where the major hotels are that are right on the beach.

Even if you don't stay at the HHV there grounds are definitely worth a look.

Mentioned in this post
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,018 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Trip Report July 22-29.

Thanks for the directions to Ross'. Will have a look at Nordstrom's & Walmart as well.

Any suggestions as where to look for a formal dress for my daughter?

Will make sure we go to the Cheesecake Factory at 5pm, am planning on going there at least once.

Mentioned in this post
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,018 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Trip Report July 22-29.

Waikiki and Australians just seem to always go so well together, and I really miss talking to you guys; always friendly with a ready laugh.

Regarding royalty, there are two opposite answers, both true.

1. Bernice Pauahi Bishop was the last in the direct Kamehameha primary royal line and she died childless. Her royal estate became Bishop Estate and Kam schools, one of the world's richest school. Many of the secondary royalty inter-married or lost their lands to the incoming capitalsts.

2. Kamehameha the Great is said to have fathered as many as 160 children by various wives and mistresses. And some of the other alii (royalty) were similarly prolifigate. So there are a ton of folks running around claiming to be King, Queen or Alii. But there are still a few Hawaiians around who are accepted as true alii by most. They keep a low profile.

A general high respect for the kapuna (elders) has replaced the alii system.

Edited: 01 August 2010, 11:16
adelaide
Level Contributor
276 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our Trip Report July 22-29.

Thanks so much for the great info. Especially relevant as we are flying Star Class and staying at Outrigger Reef. Was your flight homw scheduled for 8.15am departure? I thought we would need to be at airport around 5.00am- which is not great as I beleive Qantas lounge opens at 7.00am. Did you not feel rushed at all, and when did you know about the delay?

Cheers

Jarox

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our Trip Report July 22-29.

Thank you for your very informative report. You certainly made good use of the bus system! I'll bet the money you saved on car rental and parking fees almost paid for the airline ticket. You've probably done more of the touring stuff on previous trips, and now just focus on the area and activities you enjoy most (swimming, eating, and shopping...right?!)

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,379 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our Trip Report July 22-29.

Sounds like you had an enjoyable Waikiki vacation. Glad you had a good time.