We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic dinner ideas please!

Cornwall
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic dinner ideas please!

Hi all, I'm visiting Ohau as part of my Honeymoon in just over 7 weeks, I'm unbelievably excited!! My husband to be is and I are in the military and we haven't seen an awful lot of each other recently! He doesn't get home until 5 days before our wedding so I'm planning everything! I would love to book a nice romantic meal to suprise him with when we get to Waikiki, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to all restaurant ideas or dinner cruises etc!! Perhaps dinner on a beach?

Thanks for all your help!!!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,140 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic dinner ideas please!

The most romantic restaurants are considered Orchids at the Halekulani Hotel (do House Without a Key for cocktails before), Michel's at the Colony Surf, Hau Tree Lanai at the New Otani and La Mer at the Halekulani.

My first pick would be Orchids, it is the right mix of elegant and casual and expensive, but not over the top.

Love La Mer, but it is very expensive and I think you have to wear a jacket still. We only do La Mer about once every three trips.

If the menus look too expensive, you might look at the Shore Bird at the Outrigger Hotel and Koko Cafe at the Hale Koa.

Since you are from Cornwall, I am guessing you are not in the U.S. military, the Hale Koa is a U.S. military hotel/facility and open to the public for dining, but you also might check with a liaison from the U.K. military to see if you can be accommodated there.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,840 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic dinner ideas please!

We have reservations next week for Orchids for our Anniversary. Be sure to request a table on their outside patio with a view of Diamond Head in the background, rather than inside if you choose to dine there. As Scott said, it's one of the most romantic restaurants, and has excellent service. It's not so casual that you can wear a T-shirt and shorts, more slacks and a shirt with a collar.

http://www.halekulani.com/dining/orchids/

After dinner it's nice to stroll along the beach in the moonlight, in front of the other hotels on the beach, back to your hotel. You'll hear music, as you pass each one. Maybe you'll want to stop at the Royal Hawaiian, at the Mai Tai bar for a nightcap, or the Banyan Courtyard at the Moana.

We'll be going to Hau Tree Lanai next week as well, but I don't consider it as romantic, just a nice dinner on the beach. Michaels is very nice, one of our favorites in the past.

What hotel are you staying in, maybe we can give you some suggestions for other restaurants.

Congratulations to you both.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic dinner ideas please!

Please, please .... read down through the Oahu Forum. Constant posts about romantic or special occassion dinners. Lots of great information.

Your budget for the meal???

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic dinner ideas please!

Agree with some of the posts-my recommendation for a combination of romantic, ambience, service, quality of food-would be Michel's, La Mer-jacket is not the problem, for me, the set menu is, Orchids-both dinners, and, the Sunday brunch, and, the HauTree Lanai-congratulations, and, have a great time. All of them are right next to the beach walkl, gorgeous view of the sunset.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,721 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic dinner ideas please!

Absolutely agree with all of the on-water recommendations...

As an alternative. Awesome view, very intimate ambience, and very good food (really improved of late with new chef).

Top of Waikiki.

http://www.topofwaikiki.com/

At the very least, make sure you stop in one evening for happy hour from 5 to 7 PM, and see a magnificent sunset with $4 drinks and half-priced pupus.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,851 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic dinner ideas please!

Hau Tree Lanai a the New Otani hotel has a gorgeous set up, right down on the sand.

-suze

Cornwall
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic dinner ideas please!

Thanks very much to all of you for your help!! We will be staying at The Outrigger Reef. I don't mind how much it costs, I will pay good money for good food!! Again, thanks everyone for your help with this!!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,840 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic dinner ideas please!

That's great, then you will find Orchids, in the Halekulani Hotel #25 right next door to the Outrigger Reef #24.

Be sure to go to House Without A Key one evening for Appetizers and drinks one of the evenings, also at the hotel.

http://www.oahughosttours.com/waikiki_map.htm

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,140 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic dinner ideas please!

You should love the Reef, the Halekulani is on one side of you and Hale Koa kind of on the other. I'd visit Hale Koa for a cocktail one night and maybe lunch too, it is a great setting and the House Without a Key is to me the ultimate Waikiki setting.

Have a great wedding and thanks to both of you for serving.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Romantic dinner ideas please!

If you are in the military, the best meal I ever had in Waikiki was in the Hale Koa dining room. Wonderful food, they have a terrace that overlooks Waikiki Beach, the dining room is never too crowded, it is not noisy and it seemed very romantic to me. Quite classy but not too formal. Congratulations on your wedding. We will be in Waikiki this year celebrating our 25th anniversary. We were married on the island. We no longer have access to the Hale Koa dining room but anyone can eat at the beach bar. Best bargain lunch on the beach!