We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Food Souvenirs?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
579 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best Food Souvenirs?

I like bringing food back for relatives when I go away on vacation- things I can't find here in NY/NJ or things that are just popular in Hawaii. Last time, I brought my mom back a great pineapple salad dressing from the dole plantation and macademia nuts for everyone.

What other food items can I bring back (nothing perishable as I will be travelling for 12 hrs).

-Macademia nuts (where can I find the best prices? costco? walmart? aloha stadium swap meet? elsewhere?)

-hawaiian wines?

-other ideas?????

Thx!

Best Seller
Turtle Canyon Snorkel Cruise by...
122 reviews
from US$96.75*
Best Seller
Oahu Grand Circle Island Day Tour...
666 reviews
from US$80.31*
Best Seller
Pearl Harbor Tour From Honolulu
182 reviews
from US$46.00*
Skip the Line: Pearl Harbor Memorial...
31 reviews
from US$125.00*
Ukiah, Calif
Level Contributor
688 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Food Souvenirs?

I loved the Honolulu Cookie Company cookies. They are flavored shortbread, in the shape of pineapples. Too cute! And they were delicious. They have tasting bins in the stores so you can sample them.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
59,805 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Food Souvenirs?

Maui Coffee, Kona Coffee, Molokai coffee, Kauai coffee...........okay, it's halfway through my morning coffee, sorry!

Lots of different flavors in Mac nuts these days-chili, jalapeno, teriyaki, wasabi. Also check out Big Island Candies-their shortbread is my personal fav.

Long's Drugs often has the best prices here on Maui-not sure who's the cheapest on Oahu.

Skip the wines if you really enjoy good wine..................

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Food Souvenirs?

I too love the Honolulu Cookie Company... makes a great presentation in the adorable little box.

We've also brought home Kona coffee...

Different jellies... my husband loves the papaya and guava ones.

Instead of the macadamia nuts, they also sell the chocolate covered coconut patties ... yummy!

Coconut syrup for the waffle and pancake lovers...

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Food Souvenirs?

Macadamia nuts travel well, except the chocolate covered ones.... we usually hand carry those. The luggage could sit somewhere for an hour in the sun and you could end up with a clump! ;-(

Same goes for cookies... we hand carry the chocolate dipped ones.

We bring back salad dressings from the islands... Papaya seed, Maui onion etc.

We also have brought back island salsas... pineapple, mango etc.

There are BBQ sauces that are island made too. Many in bottles but some come in packets.

yfunk3
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Food Souvenirs?

-different Macademia Nut flavors (like Maui Onion and honey roasted, etc, etc, etc)

-coconut syrup, definitely!

-various dried tropical fruits and candies/gummies, especially those flavored with li-hing powder (delicious if you love that sweet-tart flavor!)

-Honolulu Cookie Co's shortbread (coconut is my personal favorite)

-different SPAM varieties

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Food Souvenirs?

Hula Grill sells their garlic chili oil. Oh, my! If you go there for a meal ... make sure to try it. On anything. It travels well ... and you will get hooked!

They also have a smokey kind of ketchup that DH loved. Could also be a hit.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Food Souvenirs?

This isn't food, exactly ... but I haven't seen it mentioned in a while on souvenir posts (and there are many). Starbucks has a "Hawaii card." You know - the gift card thingies that you can refill with credit. Well, Starbucks has one JUST for Hawaii. Colorful Hawaiian theme. They make great gifts. You can put as much or as little credit on them as you want. I have been using my for a couple years now, and I have their previous Hawaii style as well. Get lots of comments from California Starbucks staff. If you don't see them when you go in, ask for them. I think that some stores put them behind the counter because people were "helping themselves."

I have not seen Starbucks do this for any other state. I think it would be cool if they did a 50 state series.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Food Souvenirs?

Walmart has great prices on macadamia nuts!! That's usually where we buy ours at. Longs is usually pretty good too. The swap meet is great for other types of souvenirs, but not for macadamia nuts.

Kauai cookies are another popular item.

http://kauaikookie.com/

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Food Souvenirs?

If you want to give mac nuts -- buy them on-line through the ABC Store. The prices are very good, nuts are very fresh ... shipping will cost you ... but they are really quick and have a great variety. I'm not sure about the tax - if they charge you. AND - you don't have to lug those heavy suckers home!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,300 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Food Souvenirs?

As swmarket mentioned...Big Island Candies....

http://www.bigislandcandies.com/

They have the most elegant wrapping on their selections. Always a hit back home. Delicious too!