We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetstar excess luggage paymenst!

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, south...
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Topic
Jetstar excess luggage paymenst!

We will be flying Xmas Eve with Jetstar reurning from our one month honeymoon fron honolulu to Sydney.

Obviusly the 20kg luggage allowance is of concern to me. Has anyone ever payed excess luggage fees in Honolulu airport at checkin with Jetstar?

Also I heard That you can upgrade at the airport to starclass for $200 per person, is that correct to and is it worth it? It is a long flight after all.

Thanks

Karmelek

Sydney,NSW
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jetstar excess luggage paymenst!

They don't always offer the upgrade, it is only if they have a lot of spare seats in StarClass. My Mother was offered last time and she didn't pay it and was sorry that she didn't. If you do get offered, then I would take them up on it as it would make the trip much more comfortable.

Yes, the 20kg luggage allowance is a concern. Especially given the great shopping over there. We chose to fly Qantas this time and get the extra baggage allowance.

I am not sure about how strict they are as the last time I flew Jetstar they still had the 2 x 32kg of luggage. I know the excess is very expensive. It is listed on their website. Do a search for excess luggage and it will give you the rates.

Good luck :)

Adelaide, south...
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jetstar excess luggage paymenst!

Thanks Carla

Yes it is a concern, but I guess thats what we have to deal with. I think we would definately upgrade to starclass if we where offered it.

Karmelek

Sydney,NSW
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jetstar excess luggage paymenst!

The thing is, sometimes they don't even take any notice of the amount of luggage or the weight. I think it depends on the person checking you in. Hopefully you will be okay and wont get charged any excess luggage.

I am a shopaholic when I am Hawaii so we have actually prepurcahsed extra baggage through Qantas. I will be doing all of my Christmas shopping over there. I think you can prepurchase with Jetstar too but hopefully their website can help you a little more with that :)

Adelaide, south...
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jetstar excess luggage paymenst!

Yes I had a look and it says prepurchase for $55 per 5kg extra or $105 per 10kg extra per person.

I guess I just wanted to know from anyone if they have been slogged the extra at the airport???

karmelek

Melbourne
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jetstar excess luggage paymenst!

Just got back yesterday. They do charge excess luggage, it is cheaper to phone up ( internet ordering not available ) and pay for the excess baggage. In fact it is cheaper to go to the local post office and send your belongings by airmail than bringing it back on the airline. There is a post office in waikiki. I wouldnt fly jetstar again, terrible. If you are not from sydney you have to catch a public bus ($5.50 each ) or catch the train ($5) to the domestic/international terminal including carrying all your luggage ( climbing onto the bus ) to do the transfer. Shocking. Also the entertainment they were showing on the screen were repeats of Mash from the 1970-1980's. In 4 hours they had the same episode on twice. The video entertainment you can pay for is not worth it, movies and tv shows from 10-20 years ago. The food/drink was also terrible no tea with 4 hours still to fly. No soda water. All cabin crew were from Vietnam I think ( both ways ) and they dont speak very good english and were hard to understand. Problem is if you book Qantas, you fly on the same plane and get the same service, except you get extra luggage and if you book Qantas they take your bags and transfer you to the domestic/international terminal. Never again !!!!!!!! Next time I would go Hawaiian Airlines.

Adelaide, south...
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jetstar excess luggage paymenst!

Oh Andrew, what a bad experience!!!

Did they by any chance offer you to upgrade to starclass when you where checking in?

karmelek

Sydney
Level Contributor
99 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jetstar excess luggage paymenst!

It always annoys me when I read posts like this. People seem to forget that Jetstar is a low cost carrier - in other words, you get what you pay for! If you want a better experience, by all means fly Qantas or Hawaiian, but rest assured you will be paying significantly more.

I have flown Jestar on the SYD-HNL route several times now (albeit in StarClass each time), and while it isn't the most luxurious service around, I would argue that it has been excellent value for money. I'm curious about the in-flight experience though - you can always check to see what TV shows and movies are showing each month by going onto Jetstar's website. Every time I've flown them the movies have always been up-to-date. Cabin staff have always been professional and done their job as reasonably as can be expected and the food, well, the less said about the food the better to be honest! But that goes for most airlines - I don't think Jetstar is any worse than anyone else in this regard. I say again, Jetstar is a low cost carrier. Keep your expectations at an appropriate level.

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
456 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jetstar excess luggage paymenst!

We just returned last Tuesday flying Jetstar & I found them to be very good for the money. We saved over a $1000.00 by flying with them in one of their sales.The aircraft is quite new compared to some flights I have been on & I have been on quite a few over the last 30 years. The video on demand units which I purchased for the 3 of us had up to date movies including Sex & the City 2, The Backup Plan & various others & the same with the tv shows which definately weren't 10-20 years old .I also pre-purchased my meals & had no complaints. Our flights were both on time with our return flight arriving back 15mins early. The cabin crew we had were mainly hawaiians & were very nice & helpful & spoke English very well. They definately weren't Vietnamese.

If you expect first class service then fly first class.

adelaide
Level Contributor
274 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jetstar excess luggage paymenst!

Hi Karmalek,

We are gettting on that plane as you get off. We are also from Adelaide, wow you are lucky to have a month long honeymoon. If you want Starclass pay for the upgrade. I mean before arriving at airport. Really Jetstar Star Class at that time of year is not much more than Qantas economy- on an old 767. One of the main reasons I chose StarClass is because of the baggage. I think it is maybe not offered so much at the airport these days, as people who have paid full tote odds, may be peeved. Or we will all just try and upgrade for $200 at the airport.

And Andrew28, did you type that as soon as you walked in the door? How is it Jetstar's fault that you have to change terminals? I live in Adelaide so no way Qantas could check my bags through,(if I wanted to fly on their old planes) as you have to do customs where you land. Unless you can go as a transit passenger and arrive International in Melbourne? No way you check bags through with a change from International to domestic- with any airline.

Cheers.

Adelaide, south...
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jetstar excess luggage paymenst!

Hi Jarox!

Yes 1 month honeymoon will be fantastic thanks! If I do the upgrade with Jetstar now online its like 3 times what we pain just for economy and I just dont think thats work it, unfortunately.

maybe they will have some better deals before we fly then we will definately upgrade hehe

Karmelek