We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best food

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Best food

What is a good restaurant in Waikiki/Honolulu? Something that offers good quality food for reasonable prices, has a nice atmosphere and is within walking distance of Castle Ocean Hotel Resort Waikiki?

We have plenty of time to do proper research, however i am wondering if Lulu's and Planet Hollywood are recommended?? Also, is the food Leonard's Bakery as good as it sounds and looks?? :)

Tiki's Grill & Bar and DK Seafood Steak House is close to the hotel - are these worth going to?

Cheers

Edited: 12 September 2010, 07:13
Brisbane
Level Contributor
273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best food

The Cheesecake Factory right in the heart of Waikiki. It's a chain restaurant and Americans don't understand why we rave about it but the menu is huge and the quality is great. I had the best burrito of my life there in July.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best food

Aussies--including me -- also love the Cheesecake Factory, so I second that. It's located on the main street, at the end of the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Centre - opposite the IMP.

Have a look at their menu before you go. When there, the menu is about 26 pages ... the food is delicious, the servings are huge (you may want to share).

And the cheesecakes are to die for. We ended up taking the cheesecake back to the hotel, as we were too full to eat it there.

Go for an early or late dinner, as queues can be long - but our longest wait was 10 minutes.

Lots to choose from -- but the CF defintely gives value for money.

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best food

Hi,

We just returned last Tuesday & my two favourite restaurants were the Cheesecake Factory & Dukes Canoe Club in the Waikiki Outrigger.

If you go to Dukes make sure you make a reservation & ask for a table near the railing or one with a view.

We loved the atmosphere & the food at Dukes and the meals weren't too expensive.

With every entree purchased you get the free salad bar which has a good variety of salads & fruit.

Make sure you leave room for the hula pie, its to die for & huge, too much for one person to eat.

www.hulagrillwaikiki.com/index.cfm…

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,007 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best food

Dukes has the atmosphere, is on the beach, and is not too expensive. Give it a try.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,982 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best food

Don't forget to read through this forum. Just scroll down and start reading. We talk about food constantly ... breakfast, lunch and dinner... special occassions ... cheap eats, specialty foods - you name it. There is a wealth of information at your fingertips.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,589 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best food

Planet Hollywood is closed now I believe and I think Lulu's delivers good value for the price.

DK Steak House is okay, but for just a bit more, I'd go to Hy's Steak House. Tiki's Grill & Bar is fun, but I'd go there for their happy hour or Taco Tuesdays, but for the same money for dinner, Duke's is a better choice.

Duke's Barefoot Bar is a really great value, it is the bar area of Duke's Canoe Club and has great burgers at good prices.

Other places that are good values are the Wailana Coffee House, Zippy's, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Jimmy Buffet's.

Leonard's Bakery is better than it sounds and looks.

And Gaz is right, I don't get the attraction to Cheesecake Factory by Aussies, you have to wait 45 minutes or more for very average food. If the wait is 15 minutes or less I am fine when my friends want to go there, but any more than that, I look for alternatives.

You also should consider the food courts at the Waikiki Shopping Plaza and the Royal Hawaiian Center. They have some great places and we love getting for to go (take away? Do Aussies say that too, or is that just a UK thing?) and sitting on our lanai with a cold beer or wine and eating to the view.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,982 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best food

I agree with Scott -- Duke's Barefoot Bar is seating right by the sand. Amazing views for photo ops! And they serve some of the favorites from Duke's Canoe Club indoors ... like Hula Pie or crab/macadamia nut wontons. Excellent burgers and fish tacos.

Cheesecake Factory is all over the Mainland - so they are no big deal to many of us. Food is mediocre at best. Our approach ... and you might want to try this ... is to walk in and order your cheesecake to go ... then go back to your room and enjoy it on your lanai/balcony. In our case, on your lanai in your jammies.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best food

"Jammies" ? In Hawaii ?

Are they the kind with booties ?

Pay no attention to the food snobs js4rq, the Cheescake Factory is a great place to eat. People don't line up for an hour to eat slop. Some folks are just "anti-chain" restaurants, thinking they are not special enough, or for the common people (not them).

Sure, it's not "Iron Chef" quality, but the Cheesecake Factory is far better than "mediocre at best". That is an inaccurate and unfair assertion.

Every meal I have ever had at one has been well-prepared, with top notch ingredients, tasty, plentiful, a good value, and an ejoyable dining experience.

The food is at least as good as Duke's (which ain't no fine dining joint either), and it far, far surpasses Lulu's. You have to wonder if some of the people offering opinions have eaten at the respective places.

Lulu's is a fun place, nice view, casual, with loud music; but has just slightly above-average food. I used to eat there and get take out reqularly when I lived in the neighborhood. Convenient and cool, but a couple steps below the CF.

Given where you are staying, you should eat a lunch or better yet, a dinner at sundown, at Lulu's.

We had a pretty good meal at TIki's late the other night, which I thought belied some of the recent reviews putting it down. The Mochiko Chicken was very tasty and everyone in our party enjoyed their dishes. The location and view are great for an off-water location.

If you want something more casual, or for take out (eating on the beach is great fun), Teddy's Bigger Burgers is located in the Waikiki Grand, and there is a Wolfgang Puck Express in the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel...both just a long block or so away from your hotel.

Note, the ABC Store just a couple of buildings towards the beach from your hotel is one of the larger and better stocked in the entire chain. Lots of prepared food choices available.

Edited: 12 September 2010, 19:01
Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best food

Another one that we enjoyed for the atmosphere is Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville in the Beachomber Hotel.

Americans might not agree as they have them everywhere over on the mainland so I have heard but to us Aussies it is somewhere different that we don't have back home.

The decor is really cool with imitation palm trees, a shark sticking out of the bar wall, a whole wall with a tv like screen that changes every 5 minutes or so showing various hawaiian locations, tv screens with music videos & a live band on some nights.

We got a coupon out of the little book "The best of Oahu" for a free dessert with every 2 mains purchased. We chose the chocolate brownie with ice cream, cream & macadamia nuts & it was huge & delicious.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best food

Wow, thanks all for the useful (and yummy) feedback and suggestions!! =D

scottca075 - Where did you hear Planet Hollywood has closed??

Edited: 13 September 2010, 08:43