We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta Food Service Atlanta to Honolulu

Lakewood Ranch...
Level Contributor
211 posts
363 reviews
Save Topic
Delta Food Service Atlanta to Honolulu

Flying to Honolulu first week in November and I can't believe how hard it is to locate information on food service. I am traveling with family and don't want starving kids on a 10 hour flight. Has anyone flown this route recently and can you tell me if they have complimentary meal service in coach? One or two meals?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta Food Service Atlanta to Honolulu

This is on the Delta web page:

"Economy Class Dining

We offer complimentary meal service on most international flights (approximately 6 hours or longer) and select flights to Alaska and Hawaii. Special meals are available on flights where complimentary meal service is offered."

The "select flights" being the direct flights from Atlanta, Detroit or Minneapolis.

Can't tell you the exact nature of the meal, we use miles to upgrade to first class.

You might want to bring along some snacks. Each passengfer on this flight has their own entertainment system so no worries there.

Edited: 13 September 2010, 15:54
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta Food Service Atlanta to Honolulu

I was on this flight the week before last. We had a lunch meal not long after we got going, several snacks, and another snack sandwich late in the flight. All complimentary. I was actually a little surprised at how many times they served, I expected bare bones.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta Food Service Atlanta to Honolulu

There is a variety of meals you can order for free, including toddler meal, child/teem meal, etc. You can do this from your reservation on their web site. That's what we did for the return trip. Turns out our kids didn't like the fancy stuff they served in First class on the way over so while in Hawaii, we ordered kids meals for them and they liked them much better than what we got. They also have meals for certain religions, vegetarian meals, etc.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,424 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta Food Service Atlanta to Honolulu

I seldom eat airline meals, even in business or first class. I usually buy sandwiches at Starbucks or a local place because they are better in general.

atlanta
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta Food Service Atlanta to Honolulu

I agree with Scott. I take the direct flight from Atlanta to Honolulu, and the only thing I like is the complimentary cokes. Well, I guess the sandwiches are ok too, but I prefer to stop at a sandwich shop in Hartsfield Airport and grab something there.

Lakewood Ranch...
Level Contributor
211 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta Food Service Atlanta to Honolulu

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your help.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,086 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delta Food Service Atlanta to Honolulu

The complimentary food service in coach is only on the nonstop flight, not on any flights that have stops or connections.

I actually find the food Delta serves to actually be just fine. It is not the French Laundry, but it is quite edible.

Burbank, California
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Delta Food Service Atlanta to Honolulu

We just took the Delta flight back from HNL to LAX. As Brighton points out, you only get complimentary meals on certain flights. We bought their Classic lunch snack and a small can of Pringles once. The snacks were good but this last time we decided to get some poke and cheese and crackers from Costco.

If you are bringing outside food to the airport for the trip DO NOT BUY CHEESE OR ICE CREAM. The TSA had to take my wife's brie wheel (she got to keep her crackers) and my frozen pint of yogurt. Something about the consistency of the products.

It you plan on buying something on the flight, be aware Delta is a no cash airlines. You will have to use a credit or debit card to purchase anything on the plane.

We always try to book the 767-300 because those are the Detla planes with the personal movies, games, and tv shows in the headrests.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delta Food Service Atlanta to Honolulu

If you book children's meals, ring the airline a couple of days before and quote your booking number, and check that they have those meals in your booking file. Ask the person you speak to, their name and write it down.

Then ring 24 hours before again and do the same ... you must check and double check.

It will be worth it because the kids will be happy for the long journey, which makes mom and dad happy!

Do the same on the return journey.

10. Re: Delta Food Service Atlanta to Honolulu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2011, 04:19