We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving a convertible car in Honolulu

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
100 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Driving a convertible car in Honolulu

Hi,

I'm planning my trip with my wife to Honolulu, for early may, 2011.

We intend renting a convertible car just for one day in order to make the "circle island route".We intend stop along the way for photos and footage, shopping, eating and see the sunset before returning the car to the rental shop.

We'd like to know: Is it common driving convertible car in Honolulu?Is it safe enough for a couple to do it?If doing it, What are the risks and places/ behaviors that we must avoiding?

Thanks in advance

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving a convertible car in Honolulu

they drive slooow in Hawaii so there is no danger on the road, can get hot so maybe a hat and some sunscreen. Pack only what you can take out with you , don't leave valuables in the car.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,922 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving a convertible car in Honolulu

Personally I think driving a convertible is an awful idea in Hawaii.

The sun beats down on you, it is hot in general and rain showers happen faster than you can get the top up.

Bay Area
Level Contributor
257 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving a convertible car in Honolulu

I think it sounds like a great idea! My friend and her husband just got back from Hawaii and rented a convertible. They loved it!

I would also only pack things that you can take with you, when you get out of the car. Better safe than sorry.

Have a great trip!

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving a convertible car in Honolulu

We used to rent a convertible every time we made a visit to Hawai'i. Sometimes forgot sunscreen and had beet red ears and nose. It does get hot with the top down, and yes, rain will suprise you but most of the time you'll drive out of it before you can stop and raise the top. The last several years we've rented a standard car. 3 out of 4 times those are already rented out, and we get a convertible anyway :>)

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving a convertible car in Honolulu

We always rent a convertible if there are just 2 of us. We love the top down view of everything. Totally safe. Just don't leave anything visible in the car. Make sure to wear sunscreen and enjoy!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
100 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving a convertible car in Honolulu

Thanks everybody for yours opinions and sugestions.

We'll rent the convertible car and while one of us will be driving, the other one will be paying attention on the clouds. LOL.

Seriously, thanks so much for all advices. We won't forget them.

Mililani, Hawaii
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving a convertible car in Honolulu

Whenever I see a convertible with its top down on Oahu I say to myself "tourist".

Pembroke Pines...
Level Contributor
62 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving a convertible car in Honolulu

But what if that's what you are? :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,328 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving a convertible car in Honolulu

The trunk issue is a real one. They are teeny in convertibles ... and you MUST put all your belonging in the trunk when you get out.

Sun and wind -- yes, these are issues too. Personally, I don't see well out of convertibles. The seats sit low, and I am short! And, you'll end up putting the top up so you can turn the airconditioning on. So why have a convertible?

So - yes, you can rent a convertible and look touristy just like everyone else. They aren't really all that "cool."

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,041 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving a convertible car in Honolulu

Cool is in the minds of.............yes, it say's tourist, but hey, that is what you are right? I say if you want a convertible, go for it.