We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you recommend visiting Honolulu?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denmark
Level Contributor
480 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Can you recommend visiting Honolulu?

Hello and greetings from Denmark! I������������������ve got the idea, that I would like to visit Hawaii/Honolulu. This is mostly because the place sounds extremely exotic. I would like to hear from more experienced travellers if it really is worth the cost to visit this part of the world. What impressed you most? Would you visit it again? Is there another place on earth that offers about the same but it is more easy to reach?

I think that I would like to travel there in 2007. Is there a "bad" period of the year to avoid?

Thank you very much for shearing your knowledge with a newbie :-)

Oscar

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,363 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you recommend visiting Honolulu?

Honolulu is a big city with a (mediocre) beach out front. Yes, you should visit Hawai'i, but plan on one or more of the other islands.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
561 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you recommend visiting Honolulu?

We've been to Hawaii twice - Oahu only. Absolutely loved it. We are from the west coast of Canada so it was not a huge distance for us (6 hour flight). I would imagine that from Denmark you are looking at a much longer travel time.

As we already live near/on the Pacific ocean, the amazing difference for us was how much warmer the water was. We already swim in the ocean here, but we could stay in the water in Hawaii for hours. The beaches were fabulous. Get away from Waikiki and they are much less crowded (like at Kailua/Lanikai)and less touristy. We loved snorkelling on the North Shore as well.

Oahu has a wonderful mix of the big city (Honolulu area) with the more rural parts of the island (everywhere else). If you do plan to go to Oahu and can afford it, it is an absolute must to rent a car to find out what it is like once you get out of the big city.

We have only been to Oahu in July (2004, 2005). From what I understand, September-December is their rainy season. However, even then it is still very warm compared to the kind of weather you or I would experience at home at the same time of year. Winter time is also when the surf is up big-time on the North Shore which would make snorkelling there rather difficult a lot of the time.

I would go back to Hawaii in a hearbeat. Next time I want to go to Maui or the Big Island.

Denmark
Level Contributor
480 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you recommend visiting Honolulu?

Thank you very much for taking to answer. There are many names that I have never heared mention before so it sounds like I have to plan this travel as much as I plan my other travels.

Once again: thanks!

Oscar

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,363 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you recommend visiting Honolulu?

Oscar, tell us what kinds of things you like to do so we can give you better information. There is someplace in Hawai'i to do almost anything you want... including skiing. <G>

Denmark
Level Contributor
480 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you recommend visiting Honolulu?

Thanks PZP! To be honest, I knew someone would ask the question you are asking... Maybe I should put it this way: why Honolulu and not Bahamas or some island in Greece? But since you ask me I would like to say that no matter where I travel to, I like to see something that has with the history of that place: ruins, old buildings, museums, etc.

I understand that when visiting Honolulu one should focus on beaches, sun, the Pacific and relaxing.

I hope you understand my point because I can see that I am sounding a bit confusing :-)

Best regards

oscar

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
386 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you recommend visiting Honolulu?

Hello Denmark. Hawaii is absolutely stunning and we would highly recommend a visit. We were just there for 2 1/2 weeks last month. We stayed three days at the Marriott Waikiki, a week on a cruise through the islands and then a week in a beachfront home on the north shore. Waikiki was nice to see and the restaurants there are wonderful. We are glad we only spent a few days there. Our best time was on the North Shore near Haleiwa. Check out the rental website at www.turtlebeachrentals.com. We loved the seclusion on this wonderful beach. The waves were quite large, so you need to be a good swimmer to get in the ocean on the north shore at this time of year. Haleiwa is a charming little town with shopping and restaurants. For us, it would be hard for us to go back and stay in a hotel. Please let us know if there are any other questions we can answer for you.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
561 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you recommend visiting Honolulu?

Oscar there are other things to do in Hawaii that might interest you besides the beaches. We really enjoyed Bishops Museum. This is a great place to learn about the history of Polynesia in general. There is also Iolani Palace - the only royal palace in all of the US. Near the Palace there is also the Mission House (I think it's called) which is a museum about the various missionary groups that came to Hawaii. These are all in Honolulu.

Of course, there is the option of trying one or more of the luaus which also give you a taste of the more traditional Hawaiian life.

Of course, I'm sure I'm missing other things that the locals may be able to give you a better idea on.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,363 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you recommend visiting Honolulu?

Oscar, I get the impression that you are confusing Honolulu with the entire state. Hawai'i has 7 major islands. Most tourists visit one or more: Oahu (where Honolulu is - big city), Kaua'i, Maui, the Big Island of Hawai'i (this is one island, not the entire state).

Since you have some time I would suggest getting a basic book on Hawai'i to get some idea of what is available to you in the islands. I recommend: Moon Handbooks Hawaii, a paperback published by Avalon Travel Publishing, ISBN: 1566915147. It's in English, and I don't know if it's available in translation. You can get it easily from Amazon.com.

Denmark
Level Contributor
480 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you recommend visiting Honolulu?

Gordo,Comobox and Pzp: thank you very much for your answers (and your patience!).

It is right that I started asking questions totally ignoring how many island the are in Hawaii. As you probably know when people talk about the beatifull life in the beach they talk about Hawaii but I never met anyone who has been there. I would like to be the first one.

I'm going to get the book and slowly find out (with the great help of your advice) how to plan a trip there. It seems that the answer to my question is Yes! :-)

Best regards from Denmark, far and away from Hawaii and Honolulu!

Oscar

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,363 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you recommend visiting Honolulu?

Come back to us when you have more questions.