We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to buy tickets

michigan
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best time to buy tickets

Am planning a vacation for two to Honolulu in early to mid October. Is there a best time to purchase airline tickets? Not sure if I should wait a while or just go for it now. Any advise?

Modesto, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to buy tickets

If you are needing to rent a car for the entire time, you may want to contact a travel agent who can price a package for both the air and car, and save some money. Also purchase cancellation insurance, in the event that you can find cheaper flights. A quick internet search out of Lansing MI, I saw Delta and United quoting around $700.00 (October 8 departure)which is not too bad considering how far you are. United out of San Francisco to Honolulu is quoting 650.00 for the same dates. Good luck!

Seattle, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to buy tickets

Some airlines which guarantee lowest fares, like United, will give you a refund for the difference in price between the price you paid for your ticket and any lower fares that they may release later on the same itinerary. I've never had to use it, but I confirm it's available for my chosen itinerary before I buy my tickets. That way I lock in the seats I'd like at a price I can live with, but am still able to take advantage on any lower fares that they introduce closer to my date.

If you want to take advantage of this option, I would call the airline itself and make sure it's available for your chosen itinerary. They sometimes won't honor the deal if you got your tickets from some discount vendors (hotwire or priceline).

In any case, if you find a fare that you like on orbitz/expedia/travelocity/cheaptickets, it's worth going to the individual airline's website and pricing same itinerary. You'll often save a few bucks (the fee orbitz/travelocity/expedia charges), and even some extra miles because you ordered straight from the airline's website.

Good luck!

Seattle, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to buy tickets

I meant "get extra miles." For example, I just got 1,000 extra miles for booking directly from united.com.

michigan
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to buy tickets

Sorry, I probably should've mentioned that transportation and accomodations are already taken care of. Thanks.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to buy tickets

Wait. Prices will come down around mid-July. Keep an eye on web sites like Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, and Qixo.

Sign up for Hawaiian Miles with Hawaiian Airlines so you can get their specials e-mailed to you. If you can get a good fare to one of the cities they depart from like LAX, you could likely get a $199-$249 round-trip to HNL in October.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to buy tickets

My wife and I are travelling to Oahu in May and booked our tickets through Trailfinders last October. Our return trip to Honolulu via London and San Francisco from Belfast(Northern Ireland) is costing us $1290 each with United. This also includes car hire, and is the cheapest fare that I have found.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to buy tickets

If you are going too Honolulu you will get the best fare....going to others is noot soo good due to traffic.

when flying to Kona, United is way cheaper than ALoha or Hawaiian....at least every tme I fly UAL has 5 non stops to kona a day..2 from sfo, 2 from lAX and 1 from ORD

Also get miles with united.....way better than Hawiian. and pay with a uAL credit card.