We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nu'uanu Pali lookout

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
Level Contributor
395 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Nu'uanu Pali lookout

Is there a better time of the day (mornings or afternoons) do go to Nu'uanu Pali lookout?

Thanks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,538 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nu'uanu Pali lookout

Anytime of the day will be fine. The morning you will be looking toward the sunrise, as the light just bring out all the colors of the Koolau mountains! The afternoon will be special to, as you might be lucky to catch a strong wind. Late afternoon the light will start to fade and will affect the lighting, a darker more mysterious look.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nu'uanu Pali lookout

How is the road to the Pali Lookout? It seems high up so it is a twisty mountain road? I tend to get sick on those types of roads so just want to know before I go.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
727 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nu'uanu Pali lookout

It's a four lane divided highway until the turn-off, which is just before you get there. No problem.

Edited: 18 January 2011, 00:05
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nu'uanu Pali lookout

Great, thanks! We'll be sure to stop there.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nu'uanu Pali lookout

The road you'll travel to the turnoff to the lookout, Route 61 aka the Pali Highway, is a very well-traveled road. The road leading to the lookout itself is used by both cars and huge tour buses and there will be no problem navigating it. It's not to be confused with the Old Pali Highway which, I believe, is just a hiking path now and not open to traffic.

Edited: 18 January 2011, 16:46
Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
727 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Nu'uanu Pali lookout

<<It's not to be confused with the Old Pali Highway which, I believe, is just a hiking path now and not open to traffic.>>

There are portions of the Old Pali Highway which are open on both sides of the Pali, separate from the new highway. They are twisty and windy, but interesting. The portion from the Pali Lookout down to Kam Highway on the windward side is closed to autos, but hikable.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nu'uanu Pali lookout

if this is the same pali lookout i'm thinking of....whatever you do, don't take a ham sandwich there or you might invite some spooky, malevolent guests!

8. Re: Nu'uanu Pali lookout

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2012, 06:21