We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback first class versus Coach Class LA to Hawaii

sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback first class versus Coach Class LA to Hawaii

I am torn between flying First Class or Coach Class from Los Angeles to Hawaii and return. Is it worth the extra money?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,795 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback first class versus Coach Class LA to Hawaii

Those of us who always fly coach will say it is not worth the extra $$ to fly first class.

Others that always fly first class will say it is the only way to go.

I've always been satisfied with coach as it is within my budget.

sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback first class versus Coach Class LA to Hawaii

Sorry forgot to add flying Hawaiian Airlines

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback first class versus Coach Class LA to Hawaii

so we are talking about an extra $1000 or $2000 per couple. Thats about 40 all you can drink sunset sails, I will do the sunset sails. Sure coach sux, but that is a big expense. I know there are some that can afford it and good for them. If that darn hawaiian airlines stock would go up maybe I could sometime.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,302 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback first class versus Coach Class LA to Hawaii

I mostly fly First Class and no it is not worth the extra money. When I fly FC is is usually paid for me or i use miles to upgrade, but I would not pay that much more just to sit there.

Not sure about Hawaiian, but United FC has drastically changed. No more mai tais or champagne served.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback first class versus Coach Class LA to Hawaii

For a 5 hour flight, it's not worth the extra cost. Another thing to consider is the type of 1st class seat. If they are the "older" type (just a large overgrown coach seat) versus the lie flat type, it's deifinitely not worth it. I believe the Hawaiian seats are not the lie flat.

Of course, if you have all the money in the world, it's a moot point. But then, you wouldn't be asking this question if you did!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,616 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback first class versus Coach Class LA to Hawaii

Money not an object, do it.

Money important, consider what else you fan buy.

The difference pays for a bigger seat with more leg room and better food for 5 hrs.

I fly FC a lot but I don't pay. If I am going to spend a thousand bucks, whatever I spend it on is going to last longer than a flight from LA to Hawaii.

You'll get lots of different opinions here, thought, and opinions aren't right or wrong.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback first class versus Coach Class LA to Hawaii

I fly first class on Hawaiian. But I use their credit card and accrue miles. When I pay cash, I buy a coach seat ... and then, if you check in on-line 24 hours in advance, they usually have extra First Class seats to sell as an upgrade. And I think it's alot cheaper.

BUT, Coach is pretty comfortable. I like the seats along the windows. They also feed you (no extra charge) ... but sell some other entrees (sp?) as well that sound pretty darn good!

Longboards estimates are WAY too high.

One more thing: when you do factor the cost, include food, drinks, entertainment and LUGGAGE.

Edited: 11 February 2011, 02:07
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feedback first class versus Coach Class LA to Hawaii

How many people are flying? If 2, I like to pay for an extra seat and sit in the 3-seat middle section. That gives an empty seat between and my flight partner. Legroom is not not as much as FC, but more width to spread out. For drinks, we put down the center tray and leave the others up. Much cheaper than FC. For most of the flight on HA you have to keep the window shades down anyway (for movie, etc.) and there is nothing to see out the window until the last 5-10 minutes of the flight.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,744 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Feedback first class versus Coach Class LA to Hawaii

Depends on the aircraft. The seats on a 757 are uncomfortable in both coach and first. The 767's and 300's series are comfortable. Some airlines have an section between the two classes that have coach seats, but the seats are spaced farther apart. United calls it "United Plus"; don't know how other lines distinguish this. It's a few dollars more than just plain 'Coach'.

We use points to upgrade to first after buying coach. (We also must pay $350 pp to use these points!) However, we are flying nine hours from Chicago to Honolulu, and then have a hop on Hawaiian to Maui. I can sleep in the nearly-flat first class seats on the redeye return.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feedback first class versus Coach Class LA to Hawaii

You have to pay $350 to use points on United??