We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car mid trip? Rental locations in Waikiki

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston
Level Contributor
319 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car mid trip? Rental locations in Waikiki

If renting a car mid trip, rather than having one for the entire trip (due to parking costs of $30 per day for what could be a 10 day trip=$300!), is there somewhere within Waikiki/within walking distances of the hotel to rent from? Most likely staying at the Reef or the Embassy.

I would like to avoid going to the airport to rent/return a car if possible since I don't want the car the full trip.

If renting from an agency within Waikiki, I assume you can't use DiscountHawaii car rentals (since you wouldn't know what agency at the time of booking?).

If it would cost a lot of extra money versus renting a car at the airport, I'll just take a cab to the airport and rent one on the tail end of our trip, so I can return it when we check in for our flights.

Thanks as always

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car mid trip? Rental locations in Waikiki

There is a Budget in the Hyatt that is open till at least 9pm you can book thru this site it's cheaper than going thru Budget directly and Budget will email you a confirmation. Just pick Waikiki pickup and Budget is Brand B on the website.

www.hawaiidrive-o.com

There is also a Enterprise on Seaside ave we have used before there is a 9.99 a day on the weekend special listed on the Enterprise site but that location closes around 5pm.

Houston
Level Contributor
319 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car mid trip? Rental locations in Waikiki

Thanks so much!

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
543 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car mid trip? Rental locations in Waikiki

We stayed in Waikiki last week and rented a car through National three separate days. They offer a shuttle service both ways. Just call their local number to arrange a time. The first trip there, I spent $12 on cab fare, but the other times just tipped the shuttle driver. It worked out really well.

Edited: 01 March 2011, 02:51
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,519 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car mid trip? Rental locations in Waikiki

You are much better off staying at a place you can afford & renting a car the entire time.

Oahu is very different if you can get out & explore the island daily.

Edited: 01 March 2011, 03:12
Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car mid trip? Rental locations in Waikiki

We stayed at Embassy and rented a car from Alamo Wednesday - Monday. The Alamo on Ala Moana location is walking distance but they have a free shuttle too. I'd rent a car- it is worth it!!

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,445 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car mid trip? Rental locations in Waikiki

We often rent a car for individual days rather than our entire stay. We go for 12 days and need a car for 2 or 3. Seems ridiculous to have a car sit in the parking garage for 10 days at $30 or so a day to us too.

As mentioned, there are car rental agencies that are convenient to Waikiki. We have usually rented from one at the Hyatt.

I do caution that it is a good idea to reserve a car as far ahead as possible. We have run into situations where we waited until the day before only to find there were no cars available to rent. So try to make a plan and reserve a car ahead of time.

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car mid trip? Rental locations in Waikiki

You can rent from Discount Car Hawaii in Waikiki. I think they often use Enterprise or Alamo located in the Discovery Center a block down from Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car mid trip? Rental locations in Waikiki

I find the Enterprise always has the best Convertible rates, we rent from the location at 445 Seaside Ave, walking distance from Waikiki hotels.

Houston
Level Contributor
319 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car mid trip? Rental locations in Waikiki

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the great information.

Looks like I may get the flights booked today (yay!) and then can start working on the car rental for the days I know for sure I will need it (To visit North Shore/PCC, Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, snorkeling, etc).

Florida
Level Contributor
326 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a car mid trip? Rental locations in Waikiki

wink123 says that National has a shuttle both ways but does that mean both ways from the hotel?

I too only need a car for a couple of days, however, from reading, it appears that the expense coming in from the airport may negate the savings from the in town rental. Family of 5, Yes? My hotel has the parking fee built in, so that's not an issue.