We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

outrigger on the beach in waikkiki or Turtle bay?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
616 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
outrigger on the beach in waikkiki or Turtle bay?

We are heading out to Oahu with our girls, 5 and 10 in August. We have a week booked in Ko Olina. We are staying for an extra three days and I'm trying to decide where to stay.

Pros for Turttle Bay: seems like the "true" Hawaii similar to Kauai which I love, the proximity to some beautiful beaches I want to explore at our leisure including Turtle beach, Shark's cove, Waimea, the little surf town and shrimp trucks, proximity to the PCC which is on our list.

Cons for Turtle bay include the food (not a lot of options, expensive and not too tasy; we'd have to drive a bit), the iffy weather, and if we stay at TB, we'll head out to Waikkiki for the day which is overwhelming to me because no home base.

The Outrigger on the beach in Waikkiki is our other choice

Pros: prime beach and shopping location, their restaurants, proximity to Hanamoa (sp) Bay to snorkel, the surf lessons offered right next door every hour, and the easy of exploring some of the easter side of the island and Kailua, Sea Life Park

cons: I'm worried that it's going to be too loud at the hotel for the girls to sleep and that they aren't going to expereince real Hawaii b/w staying in Waikkiki and Ko Olina. Chances are, I'm not going to be able to drag my family out to the North Shore once we're settled in at Ko Olina.

I have been completely obsessed with this. I seriousy can't decide.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,423 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: outrigger on the beach in waikkiki or Turtle bay?

Look at two or three other places, like the Outrigger Reef and the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel. Both of them are much quieter than the OWB, but still close and easy walking distance.

And maybe the Hyatt Regency, great beach and you can get high enough to be above the noise.

Edited: 01 March 2011, 19:35
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
616 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: outrigger on the beach in waikkiki or Turtle bay?

Thank you. I'll check out the Reef. My main concern was not necessarily the hotel, although the loud Outrigger Waikkiki was a deterrent, but more of which side of the island to stay on. I really want to expore the North Shore. PCC is another big factor. It's a long drive from Waikkiki and even further from Ko Olina, I think. I can't decide whether to take a day trip to the north shore or Waikkiki.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: outrigger on the beach in waikkiki or Turtle bay?

First --- no such thing as "true Hawaii." It's all "true Hawaii."

Stay on Waikiki. There are SO many things that you will want to do in Honolulu ... and Ko'olina is NOT handy to Honolulu. So save those Honolulu activities to the end of your trip -- when you have a hotel on Waikiki.

Visit the North Shore and Turtle Bay area when you are staying at Ko'olina.

Take a pass on Sea Life Park.

<<I'm not going to be able to drag my family out to the North Shore once we're settled in at Ko Olina.>> Why not??

If you are concerned about noise at the Outrigger Waikiki - Stay at the Hyatt, the Outrigger Reef ... or a number of other hotels.

Edited: 01 March 2011, 20:17
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
616 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: outrigger on the beach in waikkiki or Turtle bay?

Okay. Thank you for your advice. I think you make good points. About my "true" Hawaii comment, I just meant unspoiled, relatively uncommercialized. I'm leaning toward staying on Waikkiki...However, my mom will be staying with us for the week in Ko Olina and she's never been to Hawaii. She'll love the buzz of Waikiki, the shopping, the Tantamus drive, the people watching. We were planning on taking her to Waikiki on a little excursion one day, anyway. Sorry. I know you're trying to help. And you have helped me. I'm just writing aloud:))

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,185 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: outrigger on the beach in waikkiki or Turtle bay?

You can get your fill of Honolulu/Waikiki while you are in Ko 'Olina. You can also easily go to Hanauma Bay & Kailua Beach from Ko 'Olina.

So stay at Turtle Bay for the 3 days.

Turtle Bay Resort is fairly dry during the summer. So no worries about the weather.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: outrigger on the beach in waikkiki or Turtle bay?

I think Ko Olina and Turtle Bay are going to both be similar "quiet" resort vacations. Waikiki is completely different. :)

I know the Outrigger Waikiki gets a bad reputation for being noisy, but I've stayed in some of the least expensive rooms, on the Kalakaua side, and I've never had trouble falling asleep. But, the other suggested hotels would certainly be quieter.

If you still have the option, I would recommend reversing the order and visit Waikiki first. That's your bridge from mainland life to island time. Then finish at Ko Olina, where you have plenty of rest-on-the-beach time.

Have a great trip.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,246 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: outrigger on the beach in waikkiki or Turtle bay?

<<I have been completely obsessed with this. I seriousy can't decide.>>

OK, first of all... Take a deep breath. Go on, do it. Take a deep breath.

Know that whichever you choose, you are going to have a great time!

I agree with Dusty, stay at the Turtle Bay Resort. You can explore Waikiki on day trips while at the Ko Olina. The island is really not that big and Waikiki is not that big at all.

We stay at the Turtle Bay Resort every year. And if you are looking for something that looks like the “true Hawaii’ TBR is it! I’ve also stayed in Waikiki and the sounds that I hear when I awake are trash trucks and cars. When I wake up at the Turtle Bay all I hear is the ocean. All I see is the ocean and beach and trees. That is my kind of vacation.

When you go to visit PCC you'll be thrilled to only have a 10 minute drive to your resort. As far as dining; the shrimp trucks are only 5 minutes away. Ted’s Bakery is close by too and they have great plate lunches. I highly recommend that you dine at Lei Lei’s at the resort, it is wonderful and they have a great prime rib dinner on the children's menu for your kids. You will be close to the most beautiful beaches in all of Hawaii. You’ll be able to find parking and get there early enough to enjoy an isolated beach while everyone is driving up from Waikiki.

The rooms has a small refrigerator so you can put drinks and snacks away. We like to buy breakfast pastries from Ted's and have them on the beach for breakfast.

Read the advice, read the reviews then decide for yourself. You know your family best.

See my avatar? That is the TBR!

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,753 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: outrigger on the beach in waikkiki or Turtle bay?

We have stayed at the OW about 20 times and honestly never had a real noise problem. It is pretty amazing to me how many hotels are accused of this problem and I stayed in hotels all over the world 4 nights a week for over 20 years and can't say I ever had severe noise problems.

We used to take our girls and stay at the OW from the time they were 5 or 6 until they were teens and they never had a sleeping problem. They loved the OW and the location with the proximity to shopping, beach, pool, International Marketplace, and just Waikiki in general.

We also took them to Kauai and Maui on some trips and they were totally bored and only wanted to go back to Waikiki.

They always met up with groups of girls and by the time we had been there for a couple of hours, 10 or 12 of them would kind of form a little pack to have fun with. Every day a couple of them would leave and they would recruit newbys. lol

Some of those girls they kept up with for many years afterwards and shared correspondence. They, along with their mother, are shopping hounds and Waikiki is their favorite place on earth. They would not ever be willing to go anywhere else in Hawaii.

Your girls might not be the same, but I think the "noise" issues at OW are a bunch of hooey and you should not let that scare you off. We have been to Turtle Bay and quite honestly would not stay there. We would all be bored to death in about an hour. We are not "sit on the beach in the sun all day" people. We like to people watch, look around and see all kinds of action around the area.

If you choose Waikiki, I think any of the hotels in the "main" part of Waikiki will work. We always find that we get the best prices at the Outrigger Waikiki and really like the hotel. Rooms are always clean and pretty well kept. Bathrooms are a little small but we survived them with 3 girls (2 of them teens at one point) and we were able to deal with it without a problem. Dad just had to get up a get in then get the hell out of the way before the girls woke up, which was usually about noon most of the time !!

Not a problem for me.

Outrigger Reef gets lots of recommendations on here and we like the Reef and visit every trip because we enjoy the Shorebird and the hotel. It is recently remodeled and prices are about the same as the Outrigger Waikiki.

I only have two things that would keep me at the OW instead of the Reef. First, the pool is enclosed in a kind of courtyard area and therefore the beach and ocean are not visible from the pool. Second, there is not near as much activity and things to watch going on at the beach there as there is at OW. That might be a plus for you or maybe not. It is located very close to the Waikiki Beachwalk area which we also like to visit for shopping and restaurants.

Have a great trip no matter what you decide.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
616 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: outrigger on the beach in waikkiki or Turtle bay?

I appreciate all of your input. @ grandeau and BLBL, we are actually staying in Ko Olina at the end of our trip; we are coming a few days early. @ Dusty, I didn't even consider taking a trip from Ko' Olina to Hanauma Bay and Kailua Beach. That's a thought. Thank you. One of the reasons we were considering staying in Waikkiki was so that we could explore that part of the island. I don't know if you can tell, but I'm definitely leaning towards staying North Shore. @scorchestra, deep breathing. Thank you ;0 You echo all my thoughts on Turtle Bay. Love your avatar. @ placebets, we are definitely not sit on the beach kind of peeps I know it seems like it because we're staying in Ko Olina, but that's another story ; we love to explore and be active. That's probably why we loved Kauai so much. Waikkiki does sound like lots of fun. I'm happy to hear that you didn't have problems with the noise at the OWB. I loved the sound of Hula girls and the view at Dukes in the hotel. I wonder if we stayed at the Reef with the free breakfast, if we could use our free breakfast at Hula Grill. ..To all, Basically, I want to explore as much of the island as possible with plenty of down time. We have ten days in Oahu. I don't know if and when we'll go back to Hawaii, especially with the girls. I want to explore the north shore, Waikkiki, Makua, I believe it's called, Hanauma Bay, Kailua and the PCC. Maybe I'm just being to ambitious. Thank all of you for your input! I'm going to sit on it and think :D

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,185 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: outrigger on the beach in waikkiki or Turtle bay?

With 10 days you can pretty much see most of Oahu.

On the Oahu forum & the Honolulu forum, on the right side of the page click on the Top Questions.

There are links to driving tours, maps, websites, free travel planners, Historic Honolulu, etc.