We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

O'ahu's north shore home (Hale Luana) or Outrigger Reef

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
O'ahu's north shore home (Hale Luana) or Outrigger Reef

Opinions would be welcome! We are two familes - 6 active kids (cousins) ages 15 - 21 and traveling May 28th - Jun 3rd.

We are trying to decide between staying at a private home that is on the North shore and a ten minute walk from the beach and 5 minute drive to the Turtle Bay area OR Outrigger Reef at Waikkiki. The kids enjoy each others company and don't generally need other teens to socialize with.

Would the north shore generally be safe to swim in during this time of year? We will be fairly active and plan to visit the Arizona memorial, PCC, and hike Diamond Head. Maybe a few will skydive, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I'll be sure to post about our trip when we return.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: O'ahu's north shore home (Hale Luana) or Outrigger Reef

Those are two very difference experiences. At first blush, I would say that if you want to spend alot of time in Honolulu (and who wouldn't?) stay on Waikiki. If you want to get everyone under one room and cook alot ... go with the house.

Is this your first trip? Your kids would love the beach ... and they would LOVE Waikiki as well.

Would a condo in Waikiki be a happy medium?

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: O'ahu's north shore home (Hale Luana) or Outrigger Reef

Good idea about the condo - We like the idea of having a good view of the ocean and the ocean front rooms at the Outrigger seem to offer that as does the house. The condos on Waikiki that we looked at and can afford seemed to sit back off and only offer "ocean views" as opposed to ocean front.

This is our first trip to Hawaii and I'm sure we can't go wrong no matter what we choose. Thanks BLBL - do you think the ocean at the beach on the north side of the island is likely to be swimable in late May/early June? Of course, I know there are no guarantees with weather!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: O'ahu's north shore home (Hale Luana) or Outrigger Reef

The Northshore is lovely in June.

I think with six teens, I would want a kitchen even if just for breakfast and snacks. The Hilton Hawaiian Village has some Condos, which might work if you want to stay in Waikiki.

I am not much of a city fan, so my perspective is biased, but I think that while the six teens might LOVE Waikiki, it is likely that you/they would end up spending a fortune. I would prefer a house near the beach.

The N. Shore is pretty far from town though, maybe you want to consider Kailua, only 25 minutes from all of the attractions?

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: O'ahu's north shore home (Hale Luana) or Outrigger Reef

Kailuamom - I read a post of yours suggesting Kailua several days ago and looked (at great length) for something on the VRBO site but didn't find a house that seemed to fit our needs, but I'm going to look again. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

5. Re: O'ahu's north shore home (Hale Luana) or Outrigger Reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 00:17