We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$500 per night to stay in waikiki!? honeymoon rip-off? or...

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
$500 per night to stay in waikiki!? honeymoon rip-off? or...

Needing some expert advice from my vacation experts on TA....I am going on a 6 day honeymoon getaway in May to waikiki (1st. timers)

We have a room booked at Trumps and reviewing the various posts on TA, I began to contemplate if perhaps I am allowing myself to be gouged or if this is fair market value for a nice room in waikiki??

NOTE: Cleanliness and a general sense of "wow" factor are important for my first vacation with my new bride. The fact that this hotel is approximately 2 years old was a good thing for me. Please advise!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $500 per night to stay in waikiki!? honeymoon rip-off? or...

1) What kind of room did you book?

2) Did you take advantage of their 5th night free discount?

3) There are other hotels that you could book that are nice and clean...the WOW factor is Hawaii.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,349 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: $500 per night to stay in waikiki!? honeymoon rip-off? or...

"Rip off" is a strong term.....

"WAAAAAY Overpriced" is probably more fair.

Spent some time in the hotel last week, and was really, really underwhelmed. Even though I really wanted to be impressed.

Definitely NOT a five-star experience and NOT a five-star finish. More like a four-plus star (barely) at best.

The views over Ft DeRussy are incredible; particularly from the above-ground lobby.

And it has ZERO Hawaii feel. Which doesn't bother me, but is probably not what most visitors are looking for. The pool would be great if you were the only ones using it, but it is small and crowded, loud and looking over a busy intersection.

You could do much better for the price. You can probably get an oceanfront room at the Outrigger Reef (spacious and beautifully redone a couple of years ago) for under $500.

By the way, my client rented a two-bedroom unit that had a $1,500 a night internet rate for $800 after a little haggling.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $500 per night to stay in waikiki!? honeymoon rip-off? or...

I'd rather spend that money on an ocean front room at the Reef on the Beach

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $500 per night to stay in waikiki!? honeymoon rip-off? or...

Thank you all for your intelligent responses....

the outrigger was definetly an option as was the halekulani. Good point about Hawaii being the wow factor....maybe I got too caught up about the room and details like that and am forgetting the bigger picture?? In which case I guess booking a standard room and saving about %50 just on room costs would free up ALOT of funds that can be spent actually enjoying hawaii??

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $500 per night to stay in waikiki!? honeymoon rip-off? or...

Try calling the hotel's directly, we stayed at the Aston Circle for two nights and when we called them directly we got a better rate then any internet deal.

Same with Turtle Bay, called them directly and got the beach cottage for a much better price then anything I could find on the internet, plus then I asked for AAA discount and they gave it too me!

I also told them it was our anniversary (which it was) and we got a welcome package with two t shirts, bottled water, juice and then a few hours later they arrived with champagne!

The Circle was what we were looking for, inexpensive, clean, parking and right on the beach

The Turtle was amazing, ocean front,and I mean right on the beach! Our own private Lanai, great views, great service, wonderful way to spend our last day in Hawaii!

No the Turtle is not on Waikiki beach , we found Waikiki too crazy and not the experience we were looking for and were very glad we changed our reservations for our last night

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: $500 per night to stay in waikiki!? honeymoon rip-off? or...

Well...I'd prefer Halekulani and/or Turtle Bay, the allocation of nights dependent on how 'Waikiki' you are. I'm looking at this as 'honeymoon' more than 'check-list sightseeing vacation'.

Did you consider another island -- that is, if the city isn't what's drawing you to Oahu?

Edited: 10 March 2011, 14:48
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,841 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $500 per night to stay in waikiki!? honeymoon rip-off? or...

For $500 a night there is no way I'd be at the Trump.

I'd be at the Halekulani, Royal Hawaiian or maybe the Moana.

Outrigger Reef would be an option too, I like it as a value hotel, but it isn't in the same class as all the above.

For a hotel not on the beach and with big buildings in between it and the beach $500 seems very, very high.

I would even consider the Hyatt Regency for that cost over the Trump. The Hyatt might not be on the beach, but there is nothing between the Hyatt and the beach, at least not buildings.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $500 per night to stay in waikiki!? honeymoon rip-off? or...

Scott took the words out of my mouth exactly. For that price range I would be at Halekulani, RH, or Moana Surfrider... hotels that are romantic + actually feel Hawaiian + are located ON the beach.

aloha suze

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: $500 per night to stay in waikiki!? honeymoon rip-off? or...

At last! I have been waiting for Amberloo to weigh in on the Trump. I was similarly underwhelmed during my brief examination of the place, and I did not care for the rather chilly attitude of the manager, either. Given the fact that Waikiki is full of good hotels, I don't know how the Trump is going to thrive. It sells itself as something it isn't. It really is not in the luxury class.

Futureimdoc, congratulations on your marriage. If you want a gorgeous, serene, perfectly located hotel with great amenities, spring for Halekulani. Its restaurants are among the best in the city, and House without a Key serves delightful entertainment each evening. I'm sensitive to hotel atmosphere, and this is by far my favorite hotel on Oahu. The pool is not huge, but it is extremely attractive and not overcrowded, even in summer. The staff is kind and helpful. If the quality of your hotel is an important part of your vacation, this is the place to stay.

Another worthy choice would be the Royal Hawaiian, if you book one of the larger rooms with a good view. The grounds are beautiful, and the location is prime.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: $500 per night to stay in waikiki!? honeymoon rip-off? or...

That was my impression, kinda sterile. You just get a much different feel when you walk into the moana or royal. I am sure the rooms are really nice.

For what they paid for those units I would not call it a rip off.

A little trivia, did you notice it does not say trump on the top with large gold letters. Well look around, none of the hotels have neon signs at the top. Waikiki has verrrry strict sign ordinances, like not allowed at all.

A nice touch for waikiki, less vegassy