We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car needed?

Keller, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Rental car needed?

We will be going to Honolulu in June and staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for 7 days. Do we need a rental car for the week?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car needed?

That, my dear, is up to you. Who is "we?" A family trip? What do you want to do? If you want to see the Island ... and you you really DO want to see the island ... you'll need a car. You can pick one up at the airport, the Hilton or various sites on Waikiki or around the Island. Most folks pick up their car at the airport.

You need to do the math about cost. Weekly rental are cheaper than a bunch of daily rentals. But your hotel will charge you to park ... but if you don't have a car, you'll need airport to Waikiki (and back) transportation. There are lots of variables.

But bottom line -- you want need a car for at least part of your stay.

BOOK ahead.

Edited: 26 March 2011, 15:45
seattle
Level Contributor
663 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car needed?

We've done with and without. If you are mainly going to be in the Waikiki and nearby areas in Honolulu, then very easy to do using local transport and the occasional taxi. Last Dec, we spent a fair amount of time out of the Honolulu area going to places not easily accessible without a car, so rented one for the whole trip (airport pickup and dropoff). We parked our car at the Hale Koa parking garage across Kalia from HHV. That worked out well for that trip. We've also done the rent for a just a day or two for special needs on other trips. These are personal experiences that agree with the general advice given by BLBL. To answer your question: whether you need one depends on what you plan to do while there. Whether it would be more convenient or cost-effective are other things to consider.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,785 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car needed?

Rent a car the entire time and get out & see the island.

When you consider airport transportation, cabs, buses & renting a car part of the time, there is not much difference in renting a car the entire time & paying for parking.

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
167 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car needed?

Just spotted this and thought It may answer one of my questions!

Were coming to Hawaii for a week and have booked the shark driving trip from the North Shore on the Saturday mornring, the company cant offer us transport and we need to be there by 6.30am...so were going to hire a car for the day and use the rest of our time to explore...

The shark company suggested we book a car on arrival with the hotel desk but i'm not sure if this will work out more expensive than booking ahead from the UK...also is car hire done on a 24 hour basis...i.e can we collect it at 6pm the evening before and return it by 6pm the next day to just pay one rate as we have heard parking can be expensive?

Were staying at the Hilton Kuhio...any advice very welcome!

Thanks x

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car needed?

Rental car is not needed. Depends though on what you want to do while there. Are you the lay by the pool type, like my sister, and barely leave the hotel grounds or like to explore the island, like me. Expensive parking and traffic are also a factor. Shuttle $30, tour $75, times 2. For 11 nights a car rental is considerably more.

Another "shark boat" got torched, not a popular thing with the locals... I'd do something else, but it's your choice. Yes car rentals are 24hrs, some locations are open limited hours, ie the Hertz at the Outrigger Reef is only open 7-3. Do to insurance, etc. Brits usually get better rates booking in advance.

Edited: 27 March 2011, 23:35
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car needed?

This really depends on your travel "style"! I have many friends who simply "fly and flop"...never going far from the beach/pool nor wandering more then a few blocks from their resort. That's very easy to do in the Waikiki district and you will have a great trip.

On the other hand Oahu is a GORGEOUS island and a car will give you the freedom to explore at your own pace, revisiting areas that call you back. Your call...do the math and decide what works for you!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car needed?

We just got back and wouldn't have done the trip without a rental car. Our travel style (just the two of us) is to go out and explore on our own, on our time-schedule and pace. We went to beaches that were out of the way and spent part of the day there, stopped to see scenery and take pictures, found neat restaurants and spent quite a bit of time on the north side of the island.

It was nice to get away from the busyness of traffic and people around Waikiki. Figuring out bus schedules, being stuck on tours or waiting for taxis would have been painful for us and wasted time. Parking at our hotel was $30 a day, but we just figured it as the price for our freedom!

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car needed?

Do you have any idea what the parking rates are for the Hale Koa parking garage? I'm staying at the HHV for a week and am considering renting a car for at least part of the time but since the Hilton charges $24 a day, I'm considering a day by day rental.

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental car needed?

Do you have any idea what the parking rates are for the Hale Koa parking garage? I'm staying at the HHV for a week and am considering renting a car for at least part of the time but since the Hilton charges $24 a day, I'm considering a day by day rental.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
174 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental car needed?

Don't wait to make your arrangements after you get to HNL. Sometimes there is a shortage of cars. The major companies have rental offices right in Waikiki (you save the airport fees) and look elsewhere in the forum -- there are a couple of companies that have much cheaper rates and have reliable vehicles.