We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Xmas

I know it rains a little between mid December and say early January.

Would you say this is a good time to go?

Is it as warm as say Jamacia?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,146 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas

weather.com/outlook/…USHI0026

Here are the average temps (Farenheit) and monthly rainfall. I would choose Hawaii over Jamaica in the heart-beat. U.S. health and safety standards ... go out and explore!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas

Amazingly its also cheaper

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas

Prices in Hawaii aren't anything to scoff at around the holidays, but they're insane in the Caribbean for that time period. Yes you might have some rain in Hawaii, but when we went to Jamaica it was late January and it was stormy there, too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xmas

Yes Xmas is expensive but about the only time of the year where work doesnt follow me

Kids are well keen on Hawai

Must sort this weekend

Ony reservation is nothing to do with Hawai but we seem to have in the UK a spate of flights being rebooked. i.e you book a cirtain date and then get

"plane jacked" by the carrier a few days later

This would have some serious bad effects with ore paid hotels and rental vehicles etc

All good fun :)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
174 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xmas

Christmas can be unpredictable as far as rain. Most of the time you cannot enjoy the beautiful windward beaches because of the wind and rain. I think airfares at Christmas are insane (although they are currently insane for June too) I would seriously think about renting a condo so that if the weather is bad you are not stuck in a small hotel room. This past Christmas it rained (not just a shower) hard for 6 or 7 days in a row. That's no fun! but it's Mother Nature.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,227 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Xmas

How long can you stay? Who is coming (ages, interests)? Do you want more city life (Honolulu/Waikiki) or more beaches/exploring? Do you have a budget for lodging? (Remember to budget for a rental vehicle everywhere except in Honolulu.)

"Hawaii For Dummies" is a quick read with a quiz to help you choose your island.

DH and I used to travel to the Virgin Islands over Christmas when our DS was school-aged. We could be sure to have warm weather, and it is not far from our home near Chicago. About 30 years ago we 'discovered' Hawaii. Now we fly much farther at much greater cost to stayin South Maui for a few weeks January-February. Hawaii is a State, with public health and safety. You can get out and explore on your own; there is no 'compound' mentality.

In winter, the northernmost portions of all the islands get rain, wind and cooler temps. Stay south and tour north, especially on Kauai, Oahu and Maui. Oceans are usually calmer south in winter months, too, if you want to swim and snorkel.

Do you plan to stay in hotels, condos, or a combination? If you have at least 10 nights in Hawaii, consider staying on two of the smaller islands (not Big Island).

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xmas

tunasf - "Christmas can be unpredictable as far as rain. Most of the time you cannot enjoy the beautiful windward beaches because of the wind and rain."

That's not really true. With the exception of this year, I have gone home (Kailua) the last 5 years in a row and the early January weather was awesome. Now, I will admit this year sucked, so I guess it was a good one to miss; however, to say that it is normally not enjoyable isn't correct. Is it rainier than Honolulu? Of course, but it's certainly enjoyable.

8. Re: Xmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 06:15