We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days with two teenage daughters

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
7 days with two teenage daughters

I could use some ideas on how to keep these older daughters enjoying age appropriate activities, beaches, etc. Thanks.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days with two teenage daughters

we sent my daughter on a high school senior graduation trip with some freinds. Apparently they spend most of their time getting dressed.

Actually there are a lot of good things at for that age. Fun restaurants, Dukes, Jimmy Buffets, Senor Frogs, Hard Rock Cafe. Great shopping in waikiki, also the international marketplace.

Some really good beach activities,, surfing lessons, outrigger canoe rides

check out alohabeachservices.com

catamaran sails are great leahi.com

But the best thing about waikiki is it is not that big and very safe. Give them $20 and let them go out on their own.

Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days with two teenage daughters

Thank you.

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
544 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days with two teenage daughters

Oahu nature tours offers a nice half day waterfall / rainforest hike if they are outdoors type. Pick up right at your hotel. Lots of companies offer the Hanauma bay snorkeling half day trips for like $14 which is transport and snorkel gear. They just need to bring food and towels/ mats

Edited: 01 April 2011, 19:08
Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days with two teenage daughters

Thank you

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,753 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days with two teenage daughters

My experience from the days we used to take our to daughters to Waikiki when they were teenagers was.....leave them alone!!!

They will find out in about 10 minutes what to do, where to go, and where the boys are if you just stay away. They would usually meet up with a group of other teens and they had all the right information on what to do.

I get the impression that yours are "older" teens so I'm guessing 17, 18, 19?? If they are not that old, you may want a little more input into where they are going and with who, you know, the usual nosey parent stuff. But, our girls knew where to go and where not to go so we did not worry too much.

Do be aware that there is a group there called the U.S. Navy that is just full of teenage and slightly older boys and they do make it to Waikiki and guess who they are looking for?

So I would not expect to have to plan too much for your girls to do. They will find plenty.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days with two teenage daughters

mn -- pick up a good travel guide or two for the Island of Oahu. Make sure there is a good map. Also, start reading down through the Oahu Forum regularly - starting ... NOW. Tons of information. Your kids need to familarize themselves with the bus - which will be there ticket (pardon the pun) to everywhere! It's pretty easy to do. Any special interests?? I mean, Waikiki is beach, eating, shopping heaven. And there is a Zoo ... again lots of things easily accessible by bus. The whole island, to be exact. Where are you staying? It's easy to catch a luau or island tour.

Sydney
Level Contributor
499 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days with two teenage daughters

"we sent my daughter on a high school senior graduation trip with some freinds. Apparently they spend most of their time getting dressed."

Longbaord, I still haven't stopped laughing at this. seems for me and my friends that didn't stop past teenage years....

An idea for the teenagers might be to give them access to a bunch of pamphlets etc on various tours and sightseeing the first day/night, leave them to peruse them and tell them to get back to you if there are any trips they want to do. Nothing worse than being dragged along on a tour mum and dad thought you might like and you HATE it! lol if they say, no, don't want to do these, then let them be....its pretty easy to find the way to and from the beach, and to and from the shops on your own.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,185 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 days with two teenage daughters

Lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Also, on the Oahu forum, on the right side of the page click on the Top Questions. Order the free travel planner.

On the Oahu forum, left side of the page click on Travel Guide. Lots of articles from TripAdvisor members.

Buy a copy of Oahu Revealed.

You can get a good used book for as little as $.75 from www.half.com (an eBay company). Shipping for one book is $3.50.

Edited: 02 April 2011, 05:13
9. Re: 7 days with two teenage daughters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 06:15