We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

State Holidays and School breaks..when?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
State Holidays and School breaks..when?

Hi guys, we are travelling from Australia to Hawaii at the end of August for 10 days. I noticed from 'googling' that the 1st Monday in September is Labour Day. Is this correct? If so, are shops and services open on this day? Is it business as usual?

Also, I believe that this is around the end of the school summer break. Can anyone tell me what day do the schools and universities resume? Is it noticeably busier when they are on their break?

Thanks in advance. Starting to do all the research now... so reading up on all the past forums. Some great info here!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: State Holidays and School breaks..when?

Labor Day is a national holiday, but aside from some government services and schools - most everything is open. Lots of sales, BTW -- good time to shop.

<<Also, I believe that this is around the end of the school summer break. Can anyone tell me what day do the schools and universities resume? Is it noticeably busier when they are on their break?>> Not sure whether you are asking about the schools on Oahu ... or American schools in general. American schools in general - they start at different times. There is no one time. Some go back in to session in mid or late August. Traditionally, students return after Labor Day. No one answer. Labor Day is last gasp for a summer vacation for many families.

If I had the option, I'd wait until after Labor Day - but there may not be an appreciable difference.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: State Holidays and School breaks..when?

Thanks BLBL - like the tip on 'Lots of sales - good time to shop'... You know how us aussies love to shop.. think I'll not mention this to the other half until we get there!

Yeh, I was referring to the schools on Oahu.. We arrive on Sat 27 Aug so from what you say we should be fine! Not too many crowds. I just keep reading on here of the queues & wait to get into the popular restaurants. Hopefully we will be there at a relatively quiet time!

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: State Holidays and School breaks..when?

Shrubee, one of the good things about hitting Hawaii in a shoulder season, is that you'll be getting clothing clearance sales to match your next season. They'll be clearing "summer stock" as you'll be entering spring. Happy hunting.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,422 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: State Holidays and School breaks..when?

Aloha,

Most schools will have started --or continued-in August. Many of our schools are on a "year round" schedule, with several shorter breaks versus the whole summer off.

Normally, the schools will have a long weekend over Labor Day, but you prob won't notice much difference.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,802 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: State Holidays and School breaks..when?

Hawaii public schools K-12 start August 1.

University of Hawaii starts August 22.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: State Holidays and School breaks..when?

Hawaii public school students resume class on August 1, 2011. That said, this minimally impacts tourist destinations.

What will be most important for visitors is the schedule for the remainder of the country (who impact the tourist destinations) which typically starts anywhere from August 15 to the day after Labor Day, September 6th.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
186 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: State Holidays and School breaks..when?

So if the schools resume on August 1, when do they break up/ begin their vacation before that? Some time in July?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,802 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: State Holidays and School breaks..when?

May 26 in Hawaii

Some mainland schools will go a week longer.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
397 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: State Holidays and School breaks..when?

Greetings from Mooloolaba Shrubee! We will be there at the same time as you roughly, though for a little longer....YIPPEE! 29th August to 18th Sept.. So glad you asked that question as I was wondering the same. Hopefully it won't be too busy at that time.

Good news about the sales! I will be taking extra empty baggage for that very reason : ) Hope you have a great trip. This is our third time there and we just love it!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,351 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: State Holidays and School breaks..when?

Most US mainland schools, unless they are on year-round schedule, have summer break from late may to mid June until the week after Labor Day, first of Sept...on the mainland it depends a lot on how many "snow days" they miss and have to make up! Hawaii is a huge family destination from the mainland!