We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5th Anniversary Dinner

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
277 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
5th Anniversary Dinner

We'll be at the Hyatt on Waikiki for our 5th anniversary in late May. After reading reviews it looks like Roy's Waikiki is first on our list for the anniversary dinner. However, are there others within walking distance to Hyatt that should be considered. Maybe better view? Or better food? Or suggestions welcome!

Portland, Oregon
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5th Anniversary Dinner

I asked about Roy's in a different thread, and the consensus was that while the food is good, you can get better food for the price. Also Roy's Waikiki doesn't have a view, so Roy's in Hawaii Kai is supposed to be better. Other restaurants that were recommended to me were Orchids and House Without a Key, both at Halekulani Hotel.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,218 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5th Anniversary Dinner

Roy's Waikiki has no views. I would choose Hau Tree Lanai. Haleklani's restaurants are closer.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,585 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5th Anniversary Dinner

A common question.....

Man, there are a lot of folks who celebrate their joyful wedded bliss in the islands.

Who knew there were so many happy couples.

After thousands of responses, I think the most widely endorsed evening is to have pre-dinner cocktails at Halekulani's House Without a Key while enjoying live music, hula dancing, the last rays of the day, and an incredible view.

Then head into Orchids restaurant for an excellent meal, also with a dynamite view.

Second Place in the responses would probably be the Hau Tree Lanai. An unmatched, serene, patio on the beach setting. Very romantic and memorable. Food is very good, but a step down from Orchids (although somewhat similarly priced).

Roy's is a great place for a great meal; although many high quality fusion restaurants, as good as Roy's, have popped up in Honolulu since he began.

But even I, the cold-hearted one, think Roy's doesn't really fit the bill for an anniversary celebration; not when you on Waikiki Beach.

Edited: 19 April 2011, 18:20
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,218 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5th Anniversary Dinner

<<the cold-hearted one>>

Not true.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5th Anniversary Dinner

I would strongly recommend the Orchids, Hau Tree Lanai, and the Michel's, all have great food , view, and service.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5th Anniversary Dinner

If you want to go really nuts we had our first anniversary dinner at La Mer at the Halekulani and it was fantastic--great food, beautiful views, and they threw in some nice extras like glasses of champagne and chocolates to take home.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,607 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5th Anniversary Dinner

I would just repeat what amberloo said.

Cocktails before sunset at the House Without a Key, followed by dinner at Orchids.

halekulani.com/dining/house_without_a_key/

http://www.halekulani.com/dining/orchids/

Hau Tree Lanai would be my second choice, maybe Michel's third....

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5th Anniversary Dinner

Great advice! Last time I was in Waikiki was 11 years ago when I was unmarried and still in the Navy. The nicest restaurant I hit was Dukes! I just don't think that will fit the bill for our 5th. I had not yet heard or checked out Hau Tree Lanai. Thanks to you fine folks I'd already pegged house without a key for either pre or post dinner cocktails. I'll let you know which one we pick for dinner!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,607 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5th Anniversary Dinner

The Hau Tree Lanai is the dining room at the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel.

While Orchids is probably my favorite restaurant on Oahu, we never miss eating at the Hau Tree Lanai. I love it not just because I like the food and the view, but I love the history of the place and it means something to me.

The hau tree and the wooden railings were part of the lanai of the house of the old McInerny family that was long prominent in Honolulu and once owned a major clothing store chain in the islands. The lanai is a place that Robert Louis Stevensen sat and relaxed when he lived in Hawaii.

As a thought, the Hau Tree Lanai is also a great place for breakfast.

http://www.kaimana.com/hautreelanai.htm

Edited: 20 April 2011, 18:41
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,685 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5th Anniversary Dinner

" I just don't think that will fit the bill for our 5th. I had not yet heard or checked out Hau Tree Lanai."

If you have the Entertainment Book for Hawaii, they have a coupon for $17 off dinner at the Hau Tree. Don't just buy the book for the one coupon though, there are many other places one goes to without going out of their way. Great savings.

We go to HWAK for our Anniversary each year since we travel in Aug., followed by Orchids for dinner. Last year was 43, so it's our lucky place.

We also stay at the Hyatt. Since it was hot and we were nicely dressed for photos with the family with Diamond Head in the background, we took a cab to HWAK and it was only $8. Then we walked back along the beach after dinner. Very nice.

Also go across to the Moana Surfrider hotel and have cocktails one night under the Banyan Tree in the Courtyard. They have entertainment, music and hula dancer, gorgeous ocean view too.