We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cair hire in Waikiki

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Cair hire in Waikiki

My family and I are visiting Waikiki next month (May) and are staying at the Queen Kapiolani hotel. Can anyone recommend a car hire company near to here? We are hoping to rent a car for a day to visit the North Shore. Also, any tips regarding renting a car would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chicago
Level Contributor
257 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cair hire in Waikiki

I would recommend Budget Rent-a-car in the Hyatt which is close to your hotel (a 6 or 7 block walk). It opens early (7or 7:30am) and you can return your car late (9 or 9:30pm). They are very friendly and give you all kinds of assistance and advice. The counter gentleman chased me down the street because I left my cell phone charger in the glove box.

P.S. I would definitely also get the GPS unit. The first time I rented from them I didn't and I vowed - never again.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,779 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cair hire in Waikiki

Be very careful about leaving anything of value in your rental car when you park and leave it somewhere. You can probably do a search on here and see several threads about rental car break ins being fairly common at the tourist stops around Oahu.

My advise would be to leave nothing in the car, including the trunk and leave the car unlocked so there is no need to break a window to get in and open the trunk.

I don't agree with the need for a GPS system on Oahu. It is a pretty small place and only one major road around the island. Pretty hard to get lost and maps are readily available in various publications.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,950 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cair hire in Waikiki

I also recommend Budget on the second floor of the Hyatt. Also, there is a Hertz at the Hyatt and, I believe, a Hertz at the Mariott -- which is a tad closer to you.

Whatever you do -- reserve in advance. The small rental car outlets do run out of cars.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cair hire in Waikiki

Hate to have this thread hijacked but if you rent a car, don't leave it unlocked. That is just plain silly and is against common sense. More than likely if you did leave it unlocked and something happened the insurance wouldn't cover it.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,779 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cair hire in Waikiki

Oh msfuzz - I guess I am misinformed and am giving out bad information then. I thought there was more danger of having the windows broken on a locked car than any other damage to the car.

Sorry if I am giving out bad advice. I just know we never leave anything in a car when we park it at a tourist attraction. My understanding is that they will break the windows if the car is locked to allow them access to the trunk where people like to stash stuff out of sight.

Is this totally incorrect? If so, I am sorry. Now I'm curious because we leave in 2 weeks and will definitley rent a car as well. Now I'm not sure which is the best procedure.

yfunk3
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cair hire in Waikiki

It's advice that's said often (even in guidebooks), but it always felt wrong to me. I would basically treat the car like your own at home, except for the one key thing of not leaving anything in plain sight inside (well, that's good advice for home as well!). Or being seen putting anything in or taking anything out of the trunk.

Not that I've got any experience in crime, but my common sense would tell me that speed and time are the most important factors for any theft crime, so if a potential thief sees that there's nothing in your car, they'll just move onto another car or elsewhere instead of risking someone seeing them do any damage to your car. Or you leave the car unlocked, and a smarter thief can get in and maybe hotwire a car (not likely, of course, but better chance with an unlocked car!).

So I lock my car door every time I walk away from it, make sure I don't leave anything in there (if you have a GPS unit, take it with you, including the GPS mount), and don't even look at the trunk when walking away! :o)

Chicago
Level Contributor
257 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cair hire in Waikiki

It is true that there is pretty much only one major road that you take when going around the island. But I still recommend getting a GPS. The first time we rented a car we did not get one and we missed many places we wanted to visit because they do not have signage on the road telling you that a certain point of interest is there. We drove right past the Byodo-in temple/valley of the temples, Laie point, and Laniakea Beach (turtle beach) because there were no signs. Also driving around Waikiki and Honolulu (for me) is a nightmare without GPS, so many street names are similar and there are so many one way streets that a short trip can be very confusing. You are staying at the Queen Kapiolani hotel, I mentioned that the Hyatt is just 6 blocks away, that is walking. Go to Google Maps and look at the directions they give you for driving .... get a GPS.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cair hire in Waikiki

Ozfamily0105, I appreciate that Budget is close to your hotel, but the last time I was in Waikiki (Easter '10), they gave me a quote of about $180 with full insurance for a day's rental of a Mustang. Nearly fell over with shock. It was $100 in '07. I told them I'd think about it and they told me not to think too long or they'd have no cars left.

I went online when we got back to our hotel (Waikiki Parc), emailed www.discounthawaiicarrentals.com and they came back to me in under 5 mins with 2 emails and a final $57 quote (insurance extra). I accepted and it was with Alamo, near Red Lobster. Alamo picked us up in a free shuttle bus from the hotel & delivered us back to the hotel at the end of the day. All up cost with FULL insurance and a prepaid tank of fuel was $115. Took the fuel option, as I didn't want to muck about at the end of the day. Nice people and an easy transaction.

If you intend to use Budget at the Hyatt, I suggest you prebook to get a reasonable price. Don't just walk in off the street, as you'll get a terrible deal.

rhode island
Level Contributor
808 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cair hire in Waikiki

Harleynut is right, I would definately pre-book. In November we booked with Budget in Waikiki and had no problem, but there were at least 3 parties ahead of us who thought they could just walk in and get a car without booking in advance. They were turned away as there were no cars available.

Discounthawaiicarrentals is a great site that is one of the least expensive around. We've used them several times.

And as far as the lock/don't lock. We always lock the car, just as we would at home. Just don't leave anything within sight, like cameras, etc.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,950 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cair hire in Waikiki

That has been my experience, mama - Waikiki outlets turning people away. Pre-booking (reserving) helps with cost, availabilty -- and getting the type of car you want. The Waikiki car rental outlet don't have a huge selection.