We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

13 hour layover in Honolulu

Phelps
2 posts
Save Topic
13 hour layover in Honolulu

I'm looking for suggestions and advice on a long layover we will have in Honolulu. My husband and I will be traveling home to New York from our honeymoon in Fiji and we have a 13 hour layover in Honolulu in the middle of the week. We arrive at 6am and depart at 7pm. Does anyone have any thoughts on places to go, things to see and how much time we should factor into the day for getting through customs and security at the airport? I've read a couple places that renting a car might be worth it so we have transportation and a place to store our carry on luggage.....but what is the parking and driving like around Honolulu? Looking for ways to make the most of our last day travel!!

AZ
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 13 hour layover in Honolulu

Can't miss with a trip to the USS Arizona Memorial.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 13 hour layover in Honolulu

With that much time, you can do quite a lot. Based on your question, I assume you have not been to O'ahu before. If you're ever considering a visit to this magnificent island, you have the opportunity to explore! If you're out of the airport (through customs) and picked up your car by 8am, you have 9 hours if you want to return by 5 (more than enough time).

I would rent a car and head to the north shore. There are a couple of driving tours in the links in the upper right section of this page. Even a north shore circuit leaves you enough time to hit Waikiki for a cocktail at the The Banyan bar at the historic Moana before you head to the airport.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 13 hour layover in Honolulu

I would check with the airlines you are using for the trip home and see if they will check your bags after customs. It can't hurt.

If you are stuck with you bags, then it may be a question of bag storage (sorry, can't help you there) or the trunk of a car. Unless you are visiting remote beaches, I wouldn't worry too much about the car - but know that your luggage will get hot!

Another consideration for your own safety and others' - will you be up for driving? Sleep-deprived or jet lagged?

Personally - I'd find a hop on/hop off tour bus and see the city. When it's time to come back to the aiport - grab a cab. Have a nice leisurely lunch on Waikiki.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
35 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 13 hour layover in Honolulu

Everyone was spot on, rent a car, go to the arizona memorial, if you have the energy maybe hike diamondhead (its isnt that bad a hike) maybe do a little swimming at Waikiki beach, on the way back to the airport hit ala moana shopping ctr for a bite to eat maybe a little shopping then on to hilo hatties ( The tourist trap place) buy your aloha shirt and head back to the airport. Warning: Traffic heading to the airport from 3pm on is horrible, so plan it right! From hilo hatties it wont be all that bad, peak traffic from hilo hatties to the airport on nimitz hey should only be about 30 min. Have fun!

Hialeah, Florida
Level Contributor
60 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 13 hour layover in Honolulu

I am used to this ,like suggested make sure luggage is in good hands,rent a car check all websites for good deal. Then hit Waikiki check out the beach then head to Diamond head explore the rim, then go have lunch at Diamond Head market and Grill ( nearby) .by then it will probably be time to head back check in your car and wait for your flight knowing dam we have to come back. :-)

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,653 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 13 hour layover in Honolulu

Renting a car is best. Driving is very easy on Oahu. I would head to Pearl Harbor first as the tickets will run out at some point. Read up on what else you may want to do. There is a lot to pick from. You may not be able to check your bags bag in due to the long layover. If you have to take your bags with you make sure you get a car big enough to store your bags in the trunk. The other option I found was www.alohaairportdeliveryandstorage.com/

Phelps
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 13 hour layover in Honolulu

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. This long layover was an added bonus to the honeymoon and it will be our first time to Hawaii so the advice is much appreciated! Will I be able to find public parking at most of the places mentioned (Waikiki, Arizona Memorial, DiamondHead, etc...)?

Edited: 17 May 2011, 16:44
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 13 hour layover in Honolulu

I would take the Tantalus Drive after Pearl Harbor ... before heading into Waikiki.

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 13 hour layover in Honolulu

Pearl Harbor, island tour, Waikiki. Parking yes. Free at PH. Use a hotel garage at Waikiki.

10. Re: 13 hour layover in Honolulu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2012, 06:18