We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dockers?

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
113 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Dockers?

One more day before we're there but have a packing question to ask. Would jeans or shorts suffice for my husband at any restaurant we go to. I'm wondering if we need to pack slacks or dockers if we went to a nicer place? Restaurants like House Without a Key...do they require you to dress up?

Thanks!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dockers?

Most places require what they call "resort casual". Meaning, for men, shorts or slacks, collared shirt, footwear. Wearing shorts or a light pant is acceptable almost everywhere. It's too warm and humid for me to wear jeans. When "dressing up" my dh wears an Aloha Shirt and a pair of dockers.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,578 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dockers?

Jeans sound way too warm, unless you think you need them for the plane. Why not wear the dockers on the plane - and then you'll have them if you need them in Hawaii? DH packed his dockers most trips and never wore them.

California
Level Contributor
6,408 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dockers?

I stopped packing long pants years ago because I would never wear them. No reason for anything but shorts and flip flops in Hawaii. I always find it strange to see tourists walking around in blue jeans.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
113 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dockers?

I appreciate all the suggestions. My dh was going to bring one pair in case it got chilly and this will probably change his mind.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,505 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dockers?

Only a couple of places require men to wear slacks....

Or really have any kind of dress code at all.

But there are several greater Waikiki area restaurants where it would definitely be considered mannerly (and respectful of your fellow dinners) to wear slacks at the evening meal.

La Mer, Orchids, Hau Tree Lanai, Alan Wongs, Chef Mavro, 3660 on the Rise, Michel's, Hy's, Top of Waikiki and a few others.

Folks may be celebrating a special occasion and would appreciate appropriate wear by all.

If you feel it is upscale enough that you would dress a little nicer at home; do the same here.

This does not necessarily hold true on the nieghbor islands, or outside of urban Honolulu.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dockers?

Used to take jeans, long khakis, shorts. Over the years I wear a pair of linen blend pants on the plane, and don't wear them again till we get back on the plane home. Only shorts for me. If I have to wear long pants to a restaurant, I don't go. There are plenty of places that don't require long pants with just as good a food.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dockers?

I wear my dockers to do yardwork. After years of begging my wife not to have to wear pants at nice restaurants and seeing men in shorts at every restaurant we've been to, she's given up. I still keep a decent pair to two for special occasions and mainland trips. I suppose there's gotta be a place or two that requires pants.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,505 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dockers?

I believe the OP is specifically asking about custom and ettiquite in Waikiki/Honolulu....

Not what is standard for South Kona and similar points out-in-the-sticks.

But we in the Big City do appreciate hearing from our country cousins.

9. Re: Dockers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2012, 05:30