We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying non-rev to Honolulu

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Flying non-rev to Honolulu

My husband is an airline employee and we are going to attempt to fly non-rev from San Francisco to Honolulu on July 5th and coming back on July 10th. What are my chances of getting to HNL without spending day or days at the airport. Trying to decide weather we should purchase tickets or not. My husband would rather spend the $1500 in HNL instead of airline tickets.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,606 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying non-rev to Honolulu

I'd try this quesiton on Flyertalk.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,683 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying non-rev to Honolulu

Flyer talk is a good idea, but I'd say your chances are poor. We've never had good luck with non-rev to HNL, we've used ID90s and ID50s.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying non-rev to Honolulu

Given that it is HIGH season for family vacations ... your odds may be nil. But, look up the flights you are considering (but in a dummy reservation) and look at the seating chart.

Honestly, the times that my United reservations from SMF to SFO have been screwed up -- the flights from SFO have had no flexibility to add up at a later time that day. Completely full. (I don't fly United any more.)

California
Level Contributor
6,544 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying non-rev to Honolulu

Very slim, most every flight to Hawaii is full.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying non-rev to Honolulu

I've been to Hawaii 3 times in the last 12 months - once on United and twice on Hawaiian. We always fly from SFO. I'm sorry to tell you that every flight was sold out, and our last one in March had about a dozen people on standby. Flights 2 years ago or even a year ago usually had 10 or so seats open, but it doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Start looking for tickets if you have it in your heart to go. You're flying near a holiday, and flights will be full I suspect. I also am certain you can get from SFO to HNL for a lot less than $1500. We booked tix a few weeks ago when Hawaiian had a fare deal for about $700 RT for 2 people (inc taxes & fees).

I wish you the best and hope you get to enjoy some Hawaiian sunshine in July.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying non-rev to Honolulu

Please, "NON-REV"? Could someone please just write it in English? Thanks. Chuck...

Orange, CA
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying non-rev to Honolulu

Chuck, if you don't know what Non Rev means, you probably have zip to add to the conversation anyway.

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying non-rev to Honolulu

Non-rev is a common term.

Latinagir460l, people do get stuck here flying non-rev. You might end up having to buy a one-way home, if you make it over.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying non-rev to Honolulu

For those who don't know, non-rev refers to Airline employees traveling on free or heavily discounted tickets. ID90 and ID50 stand for Industry Discount 90% and 50%, if memory serves.

July flights are very full. Over the last few years, I have not seen any open seats on our flights, either looking on-line, for seat assignments, or anecdotally looking around the plane and seeing no empty seats. But, traveling on free tickets (frequent flyer), we were able to make a last minute change on our departing flight one year, for a family emergency, so there are some open seats. July 5th may be OK, since it's right after the holiday weekend and is mid-week. July 10th is a Sunday and I'd expect your odds are nil.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying non-rev to Honolulu

Thanks, Grandeau, I appreciate the help. Chuck...