We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Really second guessing myself (hotel)

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
582 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Really second guessing myself (hotel)

Hi everyone, I had originally booked the Marriott Waikiki as I got a really nice price, then looked at the Hyatt and thought that was it but now I'm second guessing myself again after looking more into others. Sheraton Waikiki and Moana Surfrider, even the Royal Hawaiian (starwood member) are now in my sights. Please help!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Really second guessing myself (hotel)

Tropical: good news! You are normal. Choosing a hotel on Waikiki can be a challenge, and once you start digging - making a decision is tough.

Tell us again who are your traveling with -- spouse? kids?

How many nights?

When are your traveling?

What is your nightly accomodations budget??

Keep in mind that these hotels are spitting distance from each other ... and although you choose one, you can browse the others and enjoy their restaurants/bars, spas and shopping. Does that make you feel better??

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,795 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Really second guessing myself (hotel)

Are you renting a car? That also makes a big difference.

Marriott & Hyatt are about $30/day for parking. But you only pay this fee if you park there. They do not have a resort fee. You can park nearby at Waikiki Banyan for $10/day.

The other three have mandatory resort fees of $20-$20/day. It includes parking plus much more.

On the right side of the page, Top Questions, click on the one for parking fees & resort fees.

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Really second guessing myself (hotel)

Royal Hawaiian

Edited: 02 June 2011, 08:39
laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Really second guessing myself (hotel)

Does sheraton still have the deal where spg members get 35% off food, we use to love that.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Really second guessing myself (hotel)

Not sure about any Starwood member discounts, but keep in mind that if you are staying at a Starwood property (RH, Moana, Princess Kaiulani), you can charge meals, etc... at any of them (at least that's the way it used to be).

Answers to Betty Lou's questions will drive a lot of the answers you get.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,723 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Really second guessing myself (hotel)

Moana Surfrider and Royal Hawaiian are historic properties. They have an *entirely* different feel than places like the Hyatt or Sheraton. suze

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Really second guessing myself (hotel)

While what Suze says is true, both the RH and the MS are meticulously kept ... and both have more "recently" constructed tower rooms. And both have the gamut of amenities.

Blackwood, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Really second guessing myself (hotel)

I was very happy with the Sheraton and would certainly stay again. The Surfrider and Princess are real jems. Old time class. I had the feel of Nov 1941. Beautiful! Don't worry about "buyer's remorse" . If the best deal is at the Marriott, you'll be happy.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
582 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Really second guessing myself (hotel)

Here's answers to the questions - we are staying in Honolulu for 3 nights, 4 days then off to maui for 8 where we r staying at Sheraton maui. We will not have a car in Honolulu, so parking isn't an issue. Just my husband and I. No kids. Budget isn't really important, I like the pricing at all of them. Thanks again, hope this info will help a bit more. Oh yeah, were going Jan 19.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Really second guessing myself (hotel)

My fave would be a tower room at the Royal Hawaiian. All of their rooms are very nice, but most in the original structure do not have balconies. I have a review of the RH on TA - from October 2010. Gorgeous grounds. Take a look at their website. They have a pool for adults and share a super pool with the Sheraton for kids.

The TOWER rooms at the Moana Surfrider are very large with great views. The pool at the Moana ... not so good. They really don't have room for one.

Hyatt - incredible views, but no "grounds" per se. The towers are built on a retail base. Pool (newly renovated by then) is on the third floor. The Hyatt is across the street from the beach - with Hyatt services on the beach (nice touch!!).

I have never stayed at the Marriott - but have been on their property. It's as though retail is primary and the hotel is an afterthought. You can do better. Also - some of their rooms have no view.

Skip the Princess Kaiulani in January. Perhaps visit after the re-build is completed.

All of these hotels have great locations and are very close to each other. The #1 hotel on Waikiki is Halekulani.