We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to North Shore.

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia.
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to North Shore.

We will be in Waikiki 29/7 leaving 12/8. I am considering hiring a car for 2 days to drive up to the north shore. Can I get advice/suggestions as to what days of the week would be more suited for me to drive up there ? I want to avoid heavy traffic & thought that the weekends might be best avoided.

Thanks,

Stroudie.

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
434 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to North Shore.

So Stroudie you obviously havent done this before. You can drive around Oahu in less than a day, and thats stopping at most of the popular spots and getting lost Ha Ha ! Traffic...doesnt exist. Will advise however Hananuma Bay is closed on Tuesdays. Weekends can be a little busier as are peak times in the suburbs.Just make sure you have a GPS. Relax and enjoy.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to North Shore.

gidget_8,

YOU obviously haven't done much of this before, as this is a very legitimate question. You can potentially run into massive traffic driving to the north shore during the winter months if the surf is big. If there is surf over 15 feet, weekend traffic can be a pain. If it's huge (25 feet), the traffic is horrible.

You won't need GPS unless you're seriously directionally challenged. The island is small.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to North Shore.

We went on an early weekday in March and April (8:30 am). The huge traffic jams were encountered leaving the city.

yfunk3
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to North Shore.

During the weekends, I encountered and had been told that Kam Hwy around Sunset Beach and Laniakea Beach (AKA Turtle Beach) the traffic was slow and backed up until you get past Haleiwa, due to beach traffic, road-side parking and pedestrians crossing over to the beach.

Also know that the speed limit is 35 mph or less on most of the roads on the island, so don't expect to just speed through to your next stop. The views are worth going the speed limit, anyway. :o)

Overall, if you're used to worse traffic like in any of the major metropolitan areas of the United States, Honolulu/Oahu traffic isn't nearly as bad.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,168 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to North Shore.

You are better off going on weekdays, Monday - Friday. Beach parking lots often fill up early on weekends.

Read the Top Question, right side of the page, Driving Tours on Oahu. Take driving tour #1 one day and driving tour #2 a different day. Driving tour #2 includes the North Shore.

On one of those days when you have a car, take Rountop/Tantalus Drive and National Cemetery of the Pacific.

Australia.
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to North Shore.

Thanks Gidget,

You are right, haven't driven Oahu before, but have done so on the other 3 main islands. I realise the island is not very big & can be done in a day. I probably wasn't specific enough on my post. I wanted to get advice as to if it would be less crowded to drive up during the week, or if it wouldn't matter by going on the weekend.We went by bus tour last year on a Sunday during November,& it was very crowded & parking virtually non existant at some places.

I will take the advice of driving up on week days.

Thanks everyone,

Stroudie.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to North Shore.

Since you will be there in the summer this time it shouldn't be as crowded as it is during the winter months but you will definitely have less traffic or crowds on a weekday as opposed to the weekend.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,039 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to North Shore.

Weekdays for sure, the North Shore is awesome. Make sure to stop at the Shrimp Shacks which are just north of the main NS beach area.

honolulu
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to North Shore.

Hi,

having lived in hawaii for 2 years now i have to disagree with a few things people have said here.

first i use my GPS. it is true that it is hard to get lost but with all the names having 4 hs and 3 ks it can be hard to find specific destinations. that being said if you find the ocean and drive to it sooner or later you will find the main road that goes around the island.

in terms of traffic i am not sure how someone could say there is no traffic here. Last I heard we were in the top 10 for worst traffic in the united states. it is horrendous especially during rush hour which starts at 2 and ends at 7. luckily for you, if you leave in the early am you will be going against traffic going from Waikiki to the north shore. in the afternoon it will get backed up no matter where you are. Iff you are trying to get back into Waikiki around dinner time expect to get caught in traffic. they also cone off certain streets from 3-6 so you can't make lefts where you normally can. this is there the gps will be helpful. Honestly you may want to stay up there until after 7 just to avoid the worst of it. there are lots of good restaurants etc to do while up there. Ha at the Polynesian cultural center is worth checking out, but i would skip dinner there.

the only thing i would agree with is that during the week is definitely going to cut down on traffic/parking issues.

if you need other advice don't hesitate to ask

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,039 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving to North Shore.

Yes, all those H's and K's!!!!!