We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone have a sugar free recipe for Butter Mochi?

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Does anyone have a sugar free recipe for Butter Mochi?

I just found the sweet rice flour at my local Asian Grocery....so I am ready to make it if I can find a sugar free version. I am diabetic so would appreciate any help with getting the recipe.

Thanks, Discover

yfunk3
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anyone have a sugar free recipe for Butter Mochi?

I'm guessing that in any of the recipes, you can replace the sugar with the equivalent amount of sugar substitute. Splenda makes baking mix that you can replace 1:1 with sugar in any recipe, supposedly. Good luck.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anyone have a sugar free recipe for Butter Mochi?

I don't get it. I googled "sugar free butter mochi" and the first hit I get is this post; after that.........you guessed it! A ton of sugar free butter mochi recipes! Discover, try and "discover" the wonderful world of search engines :)

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anyone have a sugar free recipe for Butter Mochi?

Thanks" yfunk3" I will look for the splenda in a box that has one to one substution. My store did not have the box of granduated splenda nor did Sam's club. All I have found is a box of thousands of packets for coffee or tea. I will see if Costco has it.

"Baz62".... You do not get it because you did not open that entire list of links you googled. Yes, I have discovered search engines many years ago! That is what I have been using before I came to this site. I came up with that same google list too a week ago.

There is only one recipe on that list that is for sugar free butter mochi but it does not look right. 2 cups of the sweet rice flour to 3 cups of splenda and saying pour into two pans without giving pan size is not good instructions.

I thought by coming to a TA Hawaii that some one who lives in Hawaii or who bakes alot might have the recipe that is more complete than that single recipe.

The rest of those links either are recipes for lowering butter or fats and for use of regular sugar 11/2 cups to 3 cups or the substituion of brown sugar and the measurements.

Thanks to anyone who has a complete recipe and who will share it with me.

Discover

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anyone have a sugar free recipe for Butter Mochi?

Your right! My bad. Once again I eat crow for posting without researching fully!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,620 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anyone have a sugar free recipe for Butter Mochi?

Aloha,

Discover, as I posted in your last thread about this, I couldn't find any sugar free recipes. I don't know of any locally.....I bake a lot and have lots of food contacts, but have never seen/heard of one. I still say try Splenda, and tinker with it. You may want to use a smaller amount than the standard 3 cups-that makes VERY sweet mochi. Also, as I previously cautioned, watch the sugars in the milk and coconut milk.

Edited: 02 June 2011, 18:26
Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anyone have a sugar free recipe for Butter Mochi?

Thanks...."swmarket" I will have to experiment with with the splenda. I was hoping to try a different sugar substitute and find a tried and true recipe.

"You Tube" has many videos on how to make all kinds of Mochi...but no sugar free.

"baz62" No problem.

Thanks for everyones help.

Discover

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does anyone have a sugar free recipe for Butter Mochi?

Have you tried using stevia instead of splenda. It's is much better for you as it is made from sugar cane but safe for diabetics. Tastes better too. Here in Canada the product name is Sweet Leaf. The ratio is printed on the box for baking.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does anyone have a sugar free recipe for Butter Mochi?

"delygirl" , I think I can find stevia in a health food store.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
970 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does anyone have a sugar free recipe for Butter Mochi?

Discover,

If you get a good recipe for the butter mochi, would you either post it on TA or PM me? My husband is a diabetic and I am always looking for things he might like. Baking is not my strong suit and I do not tinker well with recipes so would appreciate a clear recipe. thanks.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does anyone have a sugar free recipe for Butter Mochi?

I sure will do!