We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions similar to Aston Pacific Monarch

Sydney
Level Contributor
499 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions similar to Aston Pacific Monarch

right, so we're leaving it awfully late to be booking accommodation for our trip. We arrive in Honolulu too early in the a.m on 2nd August, and leave too early in the a.m on the 14th. 12 nights in total.

My travel partner (this is her birthday trip) can't make up her mind where she wants to stay. lol. Initially she had her heart set on the Aston Waikiki Beach. Then was looking at the Waikiki Sunset. Then when we briefly considered the Hyatt.

We were back to nearly settling on the Aston Waikiki Beach and tonight she asked "what about the Pacific Monarch?" After some probing it seems now she wants to split her stay between somewhere like the Aston Waikiki Beach and somewhere a bit cheaper where we can prepare meals. I didn't question too much as this was happening via text messaging while Hawaii 5-0 was on tv, and I need my weekly fix of Steve McGarrett so said "leave it with me, I'll research". From what i can understand I think getting closer to departure date budget is becoming a real issue and she is starting to lean towards cheaper accommodations. Fair enough. More shopping and mai tais for me!

So my questions are: I read the reviews of the Monarch on here (lots of Aussies I notice!) and the very first said bedbugs, ewww...but the rest seem ok. I am wanting to see if any of the regular posters here can give any additional feedback on it? you can probably see, by the places we've been considering, the area we kinda want to be in. And has anyone got any comparable feedback on similar places in similar price range, maybe the Banyan, or the Sunset.. I can find lots of reviews but was wondering if someone could compare them?

Things we will be wanting:

* pool. She is a must with a pool!

* A decent view, preferably ocean view.

* Room for me to unpack my suitcase (i always unpack everything, even for one night!).

* Kitchen/kitchenette- just basic for lunches and light dinners. I'm on holidays I won't be doing any cooking at all past putting something in a microwave, but Birthday Girl likes cooking so will utilise whatever is available.

* Two beds, or one bed and fold out bed.

* And definitely clean.

* And decent tv in the room. Birthday Girl likes her tv first thing in the morning, and going to sleep at night.

I am not even sure how she wants to break up the stay 6-6, or 7-5, or 8-4 yet. I am reluctant to break it up at all, as there is sooooooo much i want to do, that i don't want to be wasting a morning packing up and checking out, then having to go back collect the luggage, walk to nexxt location and check back in and unpack again. Especially as most of the afternoon and evenng before will be packing and last minute stuff. But i think she has her heart set on the Waikiki Beach Hotel as well... and well, its her birthday so if thats what she wants then thats cool by me.

Thanks if anyone has any specific suggestions or feedback. All of this research is beginning to really cloud my head!

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,589 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions similar to Aston Pacific Monarch

I personally would not waste time changing hotels. Waikiki is a very small area. All the places you are mentioning are not far from each other. As far as saving money on food imo you don't need an actual kitchen or to "cook". As long as your room has a small frig there are plenty of cheap options around... shop at any ABC Store for lunch, Food Pantry grocery store has lots of ready-to-eat take-out or breakfast items, sandwiches from the bakery, etc. suze

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
353 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions similar to Aston Pacific Monarch

I also agree with Suze, it is a small area and you will use up time to move. If you have a fridge you are able to "cook" some what. You can always have bread and sandwich meat, yougurt, milk for cereal, you can even go to Safeway and grab a cooked chicken for dinner on the beach one night.

I don't like to cook on vacation, and by cook I mean preparing a meal as I would need to have some staples on hand or you have to purchase them, sugar, salt, pepper, flour, etc so not sure if that ends saving money for my family.

I would define "cooking" with your travel partner if you just need a fridge or microwave to heat and eat things, or do you need a full kitchen? And will the groceries you need to pick up save you money in the long run.

There are lots of great, cheap options for food. We love getting an order of beach fries to go at Duke's $3.95/order with a caesar salad $5.50 and share it on the beach.

We always have a fridge in our room and we have a quick breakfast in their with cereal or yogurt, drinks and snacks, I think the ASton Waikiki Beach includes breakfast in their rates.

Not sure that gives you a ton of help but thought that I would say that we do save money on meals without cooking a full meal with a full kitchen.

Happy planning!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions similar to Aston Pacific Monarch

Suze and YYC are totally correct. Stay put. Also, please stop trying to over think this, and maybe, get your friend into some classes on decision making? Chuck...

Sydney
Level Contributor
499 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions similar to Aston Pacific Monarch

LOL.. the three of you don't have to convince me about not changing hotels. I really don't want to at all.

I also understand about the eating cheaply thing without a fridge... I can do it. In fact on all my other visits to Waikiki I've managed it with ease. But my friend would prefer the ability to be able to have a home made steak and salad, or spag bol for dinner occasionally, and have all sandwich ingredients at hand (which means things like cutlery, knives for cutting vegies, salads etc)

Chuck, thanks, but classes not necessary. I understand she just wants to have a great holiday and wants to be sure she's considered all options, and as its her birthday trip I'll go with what she wants.

At the end of the day, I think we will now be staying somewhere with more than a fridge in the room, maybe at least a microwave if not a stove top, for at least part of our stay, so just wondering if anyone can give any comparable advice about places in that particular area.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions similar to Aston Pacific Monarch

First of all you need to talk your friend into nixing the moving idea imo. totally makes no sense unless your moving to another part of the island.

Second you can probably get better rates the longer you stay at one place especially if you book thru Aston as they have weekly rates.

The banyan and the Sunset have bigger recreation decks where the pool is located as they are bigger complexes and the Sunset was renovated a year or two ago.

We like having a kitchen not really to do major cooking just for quick breakfasts and making sandwiches.

Sydney
Level Contributor
499 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions similar to Aston Pacific Monarch

Thanks so much UNCMOM. Thats the kind of info I'm looking for so when I sit down with her I can list all the pros and cons, and get her to make a final decision! As the pool is quite important to her, she'll be glad for this kind of info to help make decisions.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions similar to Aston Pacific Monarch

you could also try going through vrbo for the Banyan or Koko resorts as there are often last minute deals on privately owned condos. www.wizardpub.com take a look at the location from this website. About 1 1/2 to 2 blocks from the beach. And a really good pool deck area. Hope this helps in the decision. Aloha Cheryl

Shrewsbury...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions similar to Aston Pacific Monarch

We stayed at the Monarch in April for a few days. Had an oceanfront, 9th floor room. Unbelievable, unobstructed view (can see the view from the hotel's webcam). We were in the end unit, so we also had a side window looking out at DiamondHead. Room had queen bed, not too much room to move around. Nice flat-screen tv. Small fridge. Coffeemaker. Big-enouigh Lanai. Hotel staff were always helpful. ABC store on either side of the hotel. Pool deck not fancy, but enough chaises. Pool was on small-side but big enough for a hotel that size. Pool deck also has ocean view, and it faces one of the busiest corners in Waikiki (corner of Kalakaua and Kapahulu). Plenty to look at. Would definitely stay there again.

Earlier in the week, we stayed at the Waikiki Joy, at the other end of the beach, on Lewers Street. We had a suite room, with a Full Kitchen, and two queen beds. Bathroom was fun, with a jacuzzi tub. A small free continental breakfast. Very old-timey Aloha feel, very nice staff. Half a block off Kalakaua, a block from the Beach Walk area.

Ulladulla, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions similar to Aston Pacific Monarch

Hey Sydney,

Where did you end up booking in the end? We are booked into the Aston Pacific Monarch. 9 More sleeps. Can't wait.

Sydney
Level Contributor
499 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions similar to Aston Pacific Monarch

Hey Danni, we went somewhere completely different in the end- Queen Kapiolani. Judging by the date of your post, you'll be there now. We just got back today.