We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fantastic hotel, calm waters, away from crowds - Oahu

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Fantastic hotel, calm waters, away from crowds - Oahu

My husband and I are thinking of a trip to Honolulu following a 6 month deployment for him. We usually travel to the Caribbean, but would love to see the gorgeous scenery in Hawaii.

We like high quality hotels with excellent service. We also enjoy uncrowded, calm beaches. We will probably rent a car, so we can get around to several of the bays, but what would be a good hotel for us to choose. I know Waikiki can be extremely crowded. I saw something on the travel channel, but cannot remember what they were suggesting.

Any ideas? Also, we were considering going in September or October (to avoid the crowds of families with children out of school). How is the weather then, or what would be the ideal timeframe to go. We like warm waters and enjoy hot weather.

Thanks for all of the help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fantastic hotel, calm waters, away from crowds - Oahu

Maybe have a look at Kahala Beach Resort, it isn't in Waikiki but us only a short drive away. I have also heard the beach is suppose to be lovely.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fantastic hotel, calm waters, away from crowds - Oahu

Kahala Resort is about 15 minutes drive from Waikiki and much quieter. You can still get into Waikiki for the restaurants and still in town so that it is shorter ride to visit Iolani Palace, Pearl Harbor, etc. The beach in front of the hotel is very calm due to the reef off shore and since it is removed from Waikiki, mostly frequented by hotel guests staying there so not crowdy like Waikiki. You can drive to Waimanalo and Kailua Beaches easily from there also.

Koolina Marriott is also removed from the crowd but you are pretty much eating at the resort unless you want to drive to "town". Also, I do not know when Disney is opening which likely draw more of a crowd with children. The lagoons at Koolina is very calm and protected.

Also, there is Turtle Bay which is at the North Shore. You could drive to Haleiwa for restaurants, and there are plenty of nice beaches up that way as well. It is quite a bit of drive to visit Pearl Harbor, various cultural sites in town and the various Waikiki restaurants.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fantastic hotel, calm waters, away from crowds - Oahu

I just heard about Kahala and it sounds fantastic. Any suggestion as to room type? Are there restaurants nearby (besides at the resort). It will be my first trip to Hawaii and we are mainly coming for the scenery (not into city stuff). After watching Hawaii 5-0 recently, it's got me excited about Oahu.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fantastic hotel, calm waters, away from crowds - Oahu

The Kahala Resort is great partly because there isn't a lot around. The nearest restaurants would be near the Kahala Mall, but not what I would call upscale places.

I wouldn't totally dismiss Waikiki. Staying at the Halekulani we never feel the crowding of Waikiki and never hear any noise (as in street noise). The same is true for the Royal Hawaiian. You can truly relax at these two hotels and never leave if you don't want to, but if you do choose to step out unto Waikiki there is a huge variety of restaurants to choose from.

Did you not want to take advantage of the Hale Koa?

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,739 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fantastic hotel, calm waters, away from crowds - Oahu

Being military, the Hale Koa was also what I thought of. I agree with scott above, don't rule out Waikiki, it is part of a city and there are certainly people around but it's really quite lovely. Lots of the scenes in Hawaii 50 are shot right in Waikiki. suze

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fantastic hotel, calm waters, away from crowds - Oahu

Your description of what you want leads most posters to the Kahala, but as Scott mentions, the Halekulani or Royal Hawaiian could be great choices...but you will be in Waikiki. The Hale Koa is a great hotel for military personnel; however, it is not what most would consider upscale.

If you go in September and really want to get away, you can also consider the Turtle Bay Resort on the north shore. The beaches will still be relatively calm. If you decide on October, the surf will just be coming up on the north shore and beaches could see a little more wave action. Just be aware that you will have a more limited choice of restaurants and would have to drive up to Haleiwa for a selection. The TBR is in a gorgeous setting. It's not upscale when compared to The Kahala, RH or Halekulani, but it is still nice.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,681 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fantastic hotel, calm waters, away from crowds - Oahu

Aloha,

Some really great choices from the above posters.

I like the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, a nice little oasis but also right in the heart of Waikiki.

The Halekulani also shares the same feeling and great on site food options

Also the Moana Surfrider is worth a look.

With all the options posted so far, I am sure you will find your perfect vacation.

Happy planning and hope you enjoy your stay

Aloha

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fantastic hotel, calm waters, away from crowds - Oahu

Sounds like the Kahala to me! And the have car service/shuttle to Waikiki for dinner and such. It's not far - but I wouldn't want to try to park on Waikiki if I didn't have to.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fantastic hotel, calm waters, away from crowds - Oahu

I have stayed in both Halekulani and the Kahala. Based on the fact that that you seem interested in having a variety of nearby restaurants, I don't think Turtle Bay is for you, so I'll confine myself to discussing H and K. The Kahala, as others have pointed out, is removed from Waikiki and very quiet and peaceful, with a pretty, uncrowded beach. You can easily get into the heart of town to enjoy Honolulu's amazing variety of places to eat. If being removed from crowds is important to you, the K should be your choice. It is a beautiful well run, well appointed hotel.

However, I prefer Halekulani. Scott is right, the place never feels anything less than serene, even though you are right on Waikiki Beach. The on site restaurants and entertainment are among the best on Oahu. The level of service is excellent. Even though I enjoyed the Kahala, it felt a tiny bit bland. Halekulani is restful, elegant, and quiet within its grounds, but you have the option of walking right off the property onto an exciting, beautiful urban beach or to a great shopping and entertainment district. I have often taken the long walk from Halekulani to Diamond Head. It's hard to create the perfect combination of serenity and excitement, but Halekulani really pulls it off.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fantastic hotel, calm waters, away from crowds - Oahu

I will also check out the Halekulani and the Royal Hawaiian. That's why I'm starting early - so I can make the best pick. It will be my first visit to the island - my husband has been there for the government on business previously.

Now I'm trying to figure out best flights (on American so we can hopefully use frequent flier miles for one ticket). We live in the Washington, DC area. We'd like to break up our trip both coming and going to help adjust to the time difference and also enjoy a couple of more cities. I hope a layover of a couple of days each way is allowed.

Not sure which would give us the best fare and a nice city to visit (and not add lots of time to our flights). Considering DC to San Francisco, then after a couple of days onto Hawaii. Or via Los Angeles. On the way back maybe through Vegas. What would everyone suggest.

Thanks for all of the help. I'm totally lost at the moment and appreciate the advise.