We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight help from DC to Honolulu -- first timer

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Flight help from DC to Honolulu -- first timer

I'm seeking advice on best flights (for price and timing). We'd like to fly American so we can hopefully use frequent flier miles for one ticket. We live in the Washington, DC area. We'd like to break up our trip both coming and going to help adjust to the time difference and also enjoy a couple of more cities. I hope a layover of a couple of days each way is allowed.

Not sure which would give us the best fare and a nice city to visit (and not add lots of time to our flights).

Considering DC to San Francisco, then after a couple of days onto Hawaii. Or via Los Angeles. On the way back maybe through Vegas. Also not sure if we should fly from Dulles or National airport in DC. What would everyone suggest.

Thanks for the advice.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,867 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight help from DC to Honolulu -- first timer

Aloha,

You'll love Oahu!

I prefer nonstop flights on wide-body jets. You could connect with one at EWR, ATL, ORD, IAH, or DFW. For AA, DFW.

But, if you really do want to break it up - with all that entails, check to see if you can mix 2 fare sales, such as Southwest and Hawaiian Airlines. Each of those would allow you to fly to and from different cities. (Seattle, Vegas, Portland, SF, LA, Phoenix...)

Layovers can't be days. You would have 2 different sets of round-trip flights, or 4 one-ways.

As to which home airport to use, that will depend on which airline you end up using for that segment of your trip.

Even Calif. has a 3 hr time difference to HI, though (when mainland is on DST). So bear that in mind.

Sign up for fare alerts for the various routes you are considering. Check into packages, as sometimes they can save you money.

Happy researching.

Aloha

Mentioned in this post
Aloha
Aloha
4 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Canada
Level Contributor
9,442 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight help from DC to Honolulu -- first timer

In the past,we have looked at breaking up the long travel day to Hawaii somewhere on the West coast for a night or two...but have always ended up changing our minds.

First off..... you WANT to get to Hawaii as soon as possible!

And when it's over ...it's OVER...and you pack up and just want to be home the quickest way possible.

The type of equipment on a particular route really comes into play for us. Comfort is everything on those long flights.

A330 or 767-300 XM'd are at the top of the list. Another thing about a West coast stop is the dreaded 757 is dotted throughout many of the schedules.... It has got to be the most uncomfortable ill configured plane out there.

My vote is for the most direct route on the best aircraft.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
142 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight help from DC to Honolulu -- first timer

Hi Lois,

We are headed to HI for the first time at the end of August and have similar travel plans. We booked RT PHL to SFO using USAir for 3 ppl. 1 @approx $440 and used 2 companion certificates($99). We're going to spend a few nights in Napa and then fly RT SFO to HNL. That leg was approx $429 pp, but we we managed to bring the cost down by applying amex points. By using SFO as your west coast stopover, you can also consider flying RT out of OAK for the HI flights. Depending on what days/times you are flying, somethimes they are cheaper than SFO flights.

Hope you have a wonderful trip! Can we expect a snorkel tips article on Oahu after your visit? Your tips for Barbados were really helpful when we were there last January.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
333 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight help from DC to Honolulu -- first timer

We just got back from Oahu from DC. We got an amazing deal on American back in January for $412 total per ticket! Fly out of Reagan to Dallas to Ohau and back the same way. When I saw that price in January, we booked our flight for June. I don't know if they will offer that again, but keep an eye out around that time of year in 2012, I know I am. I find that if I have to have a stop, it's best to stop at a hub, then if there's a problem with the flight, or connections, it's way easier to get on another flight.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,118 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight help from DC to Honolulu -- first timer

Since you want to fly American, this is one time I'd just pick up the phone and give them a call. Tell the customer service agent what you told us, and see what they can offer. You can also go to their website but it won't be easy to find answers to questions like about wanting to stop a couple nights in your connection city. suze

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,867 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight help from DC to Honolulu -- first timer

Aloha,

Wow, catgrrl, that $412 fare was a steal. You could hardly afford not to take them up on it, right? Glad you got to visit paradise.

Mentioned in this post
Aloha
Aloha
4 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight help from DC to Honolulu -- first timer

I hope I can find that $412 fare in January - that would be fantastic.

8. Re: Flight help from DC to Honolulu -- first timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 17:16