We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excited and intimidated, hotels, food and some nice people?

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Topic
Excited and intimidated, hotels, food and some nice people?

Aloha -

Will be a first time visitor to Oahu and am a regular visitor to Kauai where things are admittedly more laid back.

Where can I ask some questions without being told to use the search function? Because I have.

What I have: a hotel budget of $100 and under, a pair of flippers and a scuba mask and a swimming suit and enough money to rent a car for maybe half of my 8 day stay. Would love to see a dolphin but my true love is sea turtles!

Need a coffee maker in room, I am seeing a few without and I just am not paying 4 bucks at Starbucks every day.

At this point am trying to decide between Park Shore and Ocean Resort? I can't confirm whether there have IN room wifi and I guess I keep calling too late because of the time difference. A lot of these resorts have 800 call centers.

Is it true Aqua pads their reviews? Has anyone here ever STAYED at the Park Shore and saw a dirty stained couch, roaches and other grossness?

Are there current renovations at either hotel? Is there anything better for under $100? I've been searching and calling for days and at this point if I did not have a plane ticket I'd just stay home this seems so difficult LOL

I am not a Sheraton/Hyatt person as far as picky range. It WOULD be nice to have a decent bed, a coffee pot and a micro to nuke leftover from eating out. I don't need a free donut hole breakfast.

I DO need a lanai, I don't want to come to Hawaii and not be able to sit outside my room and take in the sites and smells.

Anyone here nice enough to help me?

I'd be very appreciative.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excited and intimidated, hotels, food and some nice people?

"Where can I ask some questions without being told to use the search function? Because I have."

oh come on, jane....who in the world would say that? ;-)

good luck with your search. you'll love oahu!

Ukiah, Calif
Level Contributor
688 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excited and intimidated, hotels, food and some nice people?

hi pajama...check out the Aston Waikiki Circle. Rooms are small but ocean front and reasonable. No in room coffee, but 24 hr McDonalds and free coffee in the lobby. No microwave either...but that is the price for the fabulous view and amazing prices.

Mentioned in this post
Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel
Aston Waikiki Circle...
1,161 Reviews
Oahu, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,083 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excited and intimidated, hotels, food and some nice people?

As I recommended before, Queen Kapiolani is excellent -- but you may not get a balcony at that rate. The cool thing is, their pool area on the 3rd floor has a spacious, spacious terrace. Great for hanging out and billion dollar view. Should have wi-fi throughout, but worth checking. Pretty sure all rooms have the coffee-maker.

Generally speaking - beware of balconies. Some may just look at other buildings. Good luck finding the microwave. I don't see them often - even in more upscale hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Queen Kapiolani Hotel
1,599 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,828 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excited and intimidated, hotels, food and some nice people?

After paying $30.00 for 2 cups of room service coffee at the NYC Four Seasons twenty years ago, I bought a portable coffee maker and started packing my own grounds. Would that be possible for you, Pajamajane?

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excited and intimidated, hotels, food and some nice people?

I have never stayed at the Queen Kapiolani, but I have heard great things about it from family members that have stayed there about 10 x. I think it just got a renovation and has been getting some good "chatter". I'm sorry I don't have any feedback about the other properties that you have asked about. Good luck, Didn't you just get back from Kauai?

Mentioned in this post
Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Queen Kapiolani Hotel
1,599 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excited and intimidated, hotels, food and some nice people?

If you don't need luxury you could try the Royal Grove Hotel it is a budget hotel but very popular with return guests we have stayed there 3 times.The rooms have a full small kitchen includes microwave and coffee maker go for a category 1 room which has AC and a lanai we paid $67 a night in march. there is a small pool with a sitting area.

It's not new or fancy it has been owned by the same family since the 70's and they personally manage it. We have enjoyed all our stays there it also has a great location 2 minute walk to the beach.

www.royalgrovehotel.com/

Mentioned in this post
Royal Grove Hotel
Royal Grove Hotel
415 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,020 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excited and intimidated, hotels, food and some nice people?

>>>After paying $30.00 for 2 cups of room service coffee at the NYC Four Seasons twenty years ago<<<

Before or after tip?? I think ya got off easy :)

I would look at the Ilima and Waikiki San Villa as well as the Queen Kapiolani.

Mentioned in this post
Ilima Hotel
Ilima Hotel
981 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Queen Kapiolani Hotel
1,599 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Excited and intimidated, hotels, food and some nice people?

Check out studio condos on VRBO under Fairway Villa (or here on TA under vacation rentals) We get a studio at Fairway Villa with free parking, kitchen, washer and dryer, wi-fi, free phone to US and Canada for about $100 including cleaning fee and taxes. There are bunches of other places also in that price range that we have not stayed at most located back a couple of blocks from the beach.

Here is an example

http://www.vrbo.com/323532

We have not stayed in that unit yet, but we stayed one floor below on the same side of the building last year and it was awesome.

We get to Kaui every few years but really love Oahu.

Hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Fairway Villa
Fairway Villa
86 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
353 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excited and intimidated, hotels, food and some nice people?

There are some great suggestions for you to have a look at that are mentioned above. I too was going to suggest the Aston Waikiki Circle, great location just renovated, smaller rooms but excellent location. The Queen Kapolani as well has just recently been renovated and is an excellent value.

There are also the Ohana properties that you could check out. Also check out the Outrigger Luana, depending on your dates they have a rate of $99 on their City View rooms, it is a bit of a walk to the beach but it would fit your budget. The special is for the dates of August 15-31.

Hope that helps!

Mentioned in this post
Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel
Aston Waikiki Circle...
1,161 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
755 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excited and intimidated, hotels, food and some nice people?

Sorry, just had to say Starbucks coffee is not near $4.00 unless you don't mean just drip coffee. You could always pre-load a Starbucks card so you won't have to come up with any cash while you're there. Just a suggestion, in case you find yourself in an hotel with no coffee maker. :)